Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Rebuild LS1, or drop in LS2/LS6?

This is a discussion on Rebuild LS1, or drop in LS2/LS6? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by danziger Hope this helps and good luck whatever you choose. If it were my $5K, I'd spend ...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Hope this helps and good luck whatever you choose. If it were my $5K, I'd spend $1000 getting your current short-block squared away (mild bore/hone, new bearings etc), $600 for a set of forged Diamond pistons, $1200 for a set of decent heads, $500 on a cam package, $300 on a LS6 intake and spend the rest on labor for removal/install. If you have anything left, buy headers or beer...
    Would you want to put all that on a daily driver? I drove it 36k miles last year...

Sure why not? My daily driver is a 79 monza with a 406, all forged, 240 deg at .050 flat tappet cam,,,World sportsman heads, rpm air gap and 750 holley,,,with a muncie 4 speed and 3.73 gears. Drive it everyday without skipping a beat. I'm old school so that stuff doesn't bother me that much,,,building a mild LS1 to drive everyday would be like driving a cadillac compared to what I am used to driving,,,LOL.
    My daily driver for years before this monza had a muncie with 4.56 gears in it, no big deal... Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

What kind of gas mileage do you get in that thing?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I would say it depends on Larry foot......
    But normal I would guess between 7-10 mile to the gallon.
    That is the usual with any type of old school I have or my customers.
    I drove my 65 everyday with 254/264 @.050 .575 .585 and 4500 convertor and 4.10's with a 28" tire and got 7 mpg
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Driving it like a normal person it's actually very good. I have gotten a best of 15 mpg with about 70% highway cruising and a small mix of city driving. I mainly drive around town though where the mileage averages about 12 mpg. It's a light car at only 3,020 lbs. so the motor doesn't work very hard to move it around, so mileage is decent for what it is. If I ever got around to putting an overdrive in it,,,probably pick up another 2-3 mpg.
    I have always gotten decent mileage out of my old school carburator cars,,mainly because I am more familiar with tuning them,,,I stink at tuning fuel injection.
    My 70 formula 400 with 400 turbo automatic gets 16 mpg highway. My 79 chevy 1 ton pickup that weighs 5,330 lbs. 454/400 turbo and 3.73 gears got 14 mpg consistently driving accross the country,,,not too bad for an old flying brick, just as good as these new full size trucks with overdrive and fuel injection,,,,oooooraaaaaa.,,,lol.
    My chevelle is horrible though,,,454 with big roller cam, very loose converter, 4.10 gears, it has only gotten 10 mpg driving easy. Start playing with the throttle and it drops to 7-8 pretty quick.
    Overall these are the types of cars I have driven all my life so the mileage isn't as big a deal to me. I can tune the carbs and ignition to produce respectable mileage, and I'm happy with that.. Plus I have run 94 octane in everything I own for at least 20 years,,,so I am used to paying the higher prices for gas too,,,so these high gas price hikes we have really doesn't affect me that much, I have already been paying higher prices for years,,,lol.
    Sorry to get off subject. Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Does anyone know what is involved in getting a complete LS6 to work in our cars? I know I need the F-body oil pan, but what about the EGR? The LS6 doesn't have any of that... would I basically cap it off, or what? Will all my other accessories work fine? Sensors, etc?

Thanks for everything guys... I think I'm just going to drop in a crate LS6 or LS1 and call it a day...

01-02 Fbodies got the LS6 intake factory and the EGR was simply deleted. When I look at my 02 camaro tune through HPtuners,,,all the EGR stuff is simply disabled. Once your crate LS6 is installed anyway it would be best to get it tuned, and EGR can be disabled at that time.
    LS6 intakes are a popular upgrade for Fbodies from 98-00 and many here have done it.

As far as I can tell all the accessories will bolt right onto an LS6 crate motor, and the sensors are the same. I would think this is a straight forward swap with minimal hassle. Great way to go in my opinion with minimal down time and no hassling with machine shops. Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by ED SKELLY View Post
    Had the same problem with 99 TA at 187K. Purchased an LS6 service engine, P/N 12498399, 405 HP, from Superior Chevrolet in Merriam, KS.. Cost was $4,195.00, no core. Best price I've seen for a new LS6 long block. Superior is having a promotional going on an I believe they have (2) more.

http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/12498399.htm
    This crate motor comes with a corvette oil pan installed, but it also has the F-Body pan, windage tray, pan bolting & gasket, dipstick with tube and oil pressure sensor all in one box.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    01-02 Fbodies got the LS6 intake factory and the EGR was simply deleted. When I look at my 02 camaro tune through HPtuners,,,all the EGR stuff is simply disabled. Once your crate LS6 is installed anyway it would be best to get it tuned, and EGR can be disabled at that time.
    LS6 intakes are a popular upgrade for Fbodies from 98-00 and many here have done it.

As far as I can tell all the accessories will bolt right onto an LS6 crate motor, and the sensors are the same. I would think this is a straight forward swap with minimal hassle. Great way to go in my opinion with minimal down time and no hassling with machine shops. Larry.
    and then he can start over and add all the bolt ons.....

Any of his previous bolt ons will transfer no problem. And the nice thing about the LS6 crate engine,,,it's a great time to go ahead and stick that camshaft in there you always wanted,,,and what better time to do it when the engine is on a stand,,,makes things very easy without having to bend over the fenders. Headers is another good swap that would be easier at this time as well. Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

If I want to maintain the factory GM warranty on the crate motor (12 months?) can I still put in a more aggressive cam? I have been screwed over on two previous motor rebuilds on other cars... bad seals, etc... shoddy work... which is another reason why I am going to do the LS6...

On a related topic, what is my best option for getting the LS6 in my car? I have heard if I find a shop that is GM Goodwrench Certified, that if something goes wrong with my motor, the shop (or any GM dealer,) has to pull the motor and do all the work...

My friend's father is a great mechanic that could easily swap the motor, but then if something went wrong down the road, I'd have to pay him again to take the motor out... or perhaps, could GM void my warranty completely if I don't have a dealer/certified shop put it in?

Those are some good questions. I especially wonder about the last one,,,whether a warranty would be valid if a non authorized dealer installed it.
    I am almost sure though if you install a camshaft it would void the warranty. None the less I would pose all these questions to whom ever you decide to purchase from and see if you get the answers you want before plunking down the cash.
    Some of that warranty stuff is very misleading. Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Well on the regular GM page, motors have three year, 100k mile warranties... but the only way to find the LS1/6 is on the performance page, where it lists almost no warranty information, other than a 12 month warranty...

I wonder if the warranty is that good? I'm tired of all these pro-rated warranties nowadays!

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Well on the regular GM page, motors have three year, 100k mile warranties... but the only way to find the LS1/6 is on the performance page, where it lists almost no warranty information, other than a 12 month warranty...

I wonder if the warranty is that good? I'm tired of all these pro-rated warranties nowadays!
    i would definetely ask about the cam. i would think that if it was from gmpp and the dealer installed it you would be ok.....
    its money in there pocket. the ls6 isnt in mass production anymore so you may have alittle leeway with what you can get covered. but im sure it would have to be a gm hot cam or something they manufacture and/or own.

good luck with all this and post some pics and a vid if you can get one.
    see ya

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Thanks.

I wonder how long my stock drivetrain will last after this LS6? My diff was rebuilt several years ago, but I've heard that even brand new ones can blow under demanding driving..

Depends on how you drive it and whether you put sticky tires on or not. A stock motor is very capable of breaking the 7.5 rear,,,and the Auto trans also has a weak reputation.
    The rearend has always been a sore spot with me. It's the one thing that GM cheaped out on when building these cars. Instead of putting something decent under there they just program the computer with torque management and/or design the hydraulic clutch to have sluggish engagement

With any 4th gen the first major improvement I will make before I even think about getting inside the motor is install a rearend I don't have to worry about. Larry.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I want the Moser 12-bolt... hopefully my stocker will hold up long enough!

I also plan on getting that new 6-speed auto... I want to implement the radio buttons on the steering wheel into "paddle" shifters... piece of cake, assuming the new tranny computer is not impossible to work with...

also, what are the chances that an actual DEALER will install my LS6? Would they complain that it's not OE? I really don't see them putting in a cam either, but I'm going to start calling around pretty soon...

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Depends on how you drive it and whether you put sticky tires on or not. A stock motor is very capable of breaking the 7.5 rear,,,and the Auto trans also has a weak reputation.
    The rearend has always been a sore spot with me. It's the one thing that GM cheaped out on when building these cars. Instead of putting something decent under there they just program the computer with torque management and/or design the hydraulic clutch to have sluggish engagement

With any 4th gen the first major improvement I will make before I even think about getting inside the motor is install a rearend I don't have to worry about. Larry.
    damn right....and scrap maker, if you really want a strong all around f body that can be a dd and a weekend warrior, you need to beef up the drivetrain alittle. mybe a 12 bolt with 33 or 35 spline axles.....if you dont want to shell out that much cash there are other options like a ford 9 inch rear but you may have to get it shortened.
    and just like larry said, the 10 bolt rears have broken frequently under STOCK power. sure you can push the 10 bolt hard, but i would not launch it very hard nor would i launch it hard with a drag radial. i drive the shit out of mine, but i never launch it, even when going from a dig (ok maybe a light launch @2000rpms). i daily drive mine and dont have the money to swap in a 12 bolt if i break the 10. but it takes a beating and comes out just fine.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I want the Moser 12-bolt... hopefully my stocker will hold up long enough!

I also plan on getting that new 6-speed auto... I want to implement the radio buttons on the steering wheel into "paddle" shifters... piece of cake, assuming the new tranny computer is not impossible to work with...

also, what are the chances that an actual DEALER will install my LS6? Would they complain that it's not OE? I really don't see them putting in a cam either, but I'm going to start calling around pretty soon...
    if its a GM dealer i dont think you would have trouble. ultimately, it all goes into GM's pocket and they wouldnt warranty the engine (im assuming) if anyone but a licensed GM dealer or shop installed it. what i mean is i doubt they would give you a 100k mile warranty and let just some one put the engine in, even if the installation was correct.
    and like i said, you shouldnt have a problem with a cam as long as its GM product. they wont warranty a magic stick 4, but im sure they would put it in and gladly charge you a grand to do it.....

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I have heard that there are third-party shops that are GM-certified to install motors... I will have to look into this more closely... I also need to see what the "warranty" really covers... I know that the majority of motors that will exhibit problems, do so in the first 30k miles....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information