Rear window defogger?

This is a discussion on Rear window defogger? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My rear window defogger is not working. When it's dark, and you try to turn it on, you can see ...

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

Rear window defogger?

My rear window defogger is not working. When it's dark, and you try to turn it on, you can see the light near the button come on for a split second, and then go back out. The fuse for it also works the driver side power seat, which is working fine. What else could it be? Thanks guys.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Check too make sure there arent any breaks in the grid on the rear hatch and also check the two connectors in the rear.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Believe it's a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Check the panel and see what's in there - if it's the stock breaker temporarily install a fuse with the same value and see if it works.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Believe it's a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Check the panel and see what's in there - if it's the stock breaker temporarily install a fuse with the same value and see if it works.
    I 2nd that!

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

I tried that.......I put in the same value fuse (or circuit breaker) and still nothing happens. Like I said before, the same fuse works the driver side power seat and the seat works fine. I'm thinking it may be the defogger switch. Anyone ever replaced one?

Black
    2001 Z28 M6

The power for grid does not go through the switch. The switch turns on the timer relay. The amber light that comes on is connected to the power going to the grid. So even if the grid is disconnected the light still comes on. The light will not come on if the circuit breaker trips, but you will still hear the relay clicking on and off when you press the switch.

In my case the wire on the back of the fuse block had a bad connection, which created resistance and heat as a result. The circuit breaker is a thermal device so it would cause it to trip.

Try to operate the drivers seat right after you turn the defroster on. If the seat still works then it sounds like there is something wrong with the timer relay.

timer thats what i think

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i had GM look at mine, they told me it would cost 200$ to fix the computer that controls it. I said "bite me"

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF01Z View Post
    The power for grid does not go through the switch. The switch turns on the timer relay. The amber light that comes on is connected to the power going to the grid. So even if the grid is disconnected the light still comes on. The light will not come on if the circuit breaker trips, but you will still hear the relay clicking on and off when you press the switch.

In my case the wire on the back of the fuse block had a bad connection, which created resistance and heat as a result. The circuit breaker is a thermal device so it would cause it to trip.

Try to operate the drivers seat right after you turn the defroster on. If the seat still works then it sounds like there is something wrong with the timer relay.

I think you're right. I still hear the relay clicking on and off when I press the button. The light only illuminates momentarily. I've tried operating the seat at the exact same time as pressing the button, and the seat works fine. So you think it's the timer relay? What's that gonna cost to fix? I'm illiterate when it comes to electronics.

Black
    2001 Z28 M6

I looked in the GM parts book and the relay is part of the a/c control assy. It does not have a seperate part number for the relay. P.N. 9351461 $100 on gmpartsdirect.com. It is pretty easy to change. Just have to unplug every thing connected to it. You might be able to just take the relay off the new one and install it on your existing controller so you don't have to mess with the vacuum switch lines and the blend door cable. I am not sure about this though, you would have to take it apart to find out.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

Thanks bro. Sounds like I'm just going to have to deal with it. 100 bucks and no more HP, no thanks. Although, it's where they should be, I don't like looking at the Mustangs in my rear view mirror anyway!

Thread Information