Black
    1999 Trans Am

Rear View Mirror Problem

Ok, I've got a stupid problem. I appoligize for the long post, but I cannot figure out how to install my rear view mirror for the life of me. I just bought the car and the previous owner had just had the windshild replaced. The mirror was not installed and he said the window people didn't put it back on and he just had not had the opportunity to try to re install it. The plate is on the winshild already and I have the piece that slides onto the plate (with the ball thing on it) I cannot figure out how to attatch the cylinder shaped piece (already on the pivot ball on the mirror) to the pivot ball that slides onto the window mounting plate. This is the same mirror I've got

But right at the end of the cylinder piece (where the windshild mounted pivot ball should fit) there is like a plastic insert thing that I cannot get out (i've tried everything) and the ball won't fit inside the plastic insert thing.

I know this is a stupid question, but if anyone has had the same problem (I believe I have the stock mirror that is in all 4th gen Trans Ams) or if anyone could help me, that would be great. Thanks

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It should slide on from the top.

semicharmed
    sori can't help

But you should have let the previous owner to turn-over the car in a perfect condition-without those uninstalled issues with the window...it's still his/her responsilibilty. That's one of the problems in buying a used car...

Anyway, good luck! Hope there's someone else interested to post in this thread...

NBM
    1998Z28

there should be an allen set screw that you can back out. Should slide over the top of the mount on the window.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

don't worry if that's the only minute issue the previous owner left you then back the screw out put it on and enjoy the drive! I bought mine used at 14.5 K miles here I am 125K miles + later and it's becoming an obsesion.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Talking Slide or Crew...Hey that sounds kinky!

If there is a screw, just slide it on, screw it...and you're good to go. If there is no screw, slide the mirror on until you hear a click or feel it snap into place. you'll know when you have it just right. Good luck!

Thread Information