Thread: Rear main seal?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Rear main seal?

Hey guys I am doing a clutch swap and my tranny is out at the moment I figure why not replace the RMS being that the car has 145,000 miles. I do have a very small oil leak already which could be the seal or the pan gasket. I know the seal pops right out, but do you need the special tool to install the new one or can you do it without?

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

i know there is a tool to install them but i dont know if it is needed for the ls1. im guesing it will probably be alot easier of you do use the tool. see if autozone will rent it out

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

J 41479 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Installer
    Thats the seal installer that you will need. I would ensure thats where the leak is coming from and its not the cover or something simple like your pressure sending unit.
    Im not insulting your ability to install the seal but i would strongly recommend you use the seal installer, you can pick them up off ebay for like 20 bucks. If you try using a big socket or mallet you risk flipping the lip and it will leak like never befor. It may work and it may not, i wouldnt want to risk having to pull everything apart again.
    Check with your local dealer and see if you can "borrow" one..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Actually I am pretty positive the seal is not leaking. I guess I will leave well enough alone. I was going to do it as a precautionary measure, but I don't want to create a problem.

I replaced my rear main without the tool and everything turned out just fine. You can use the crankshaft to center the seal and get it pretty damn close. You also have to make sure they are installed facing the correct direction.
    My car had the rear main replaced under warranty and GM installed it backwards It leaked like crazy.

I decided to yank the tranny and do it myself. Only to find out they also had the rear engine cover off (that holds the rear main seal) and reused the original gasket. It was squished out in 2 places and also leaking like crazy.

It's really not hard to do at all. While you have your tranny out I'd give it a good look over and decide from there.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Well the tranny has been out for over 24 hours (waiting on the clutch kit) and I was under there to pop out the pilot bearing a little bit ago. everything is bone dry. The tiny leak I have definately is not coming from anywhere back there. Must be the pan. Not really worried about it. It has been like that the whole 2 1/2 years I've had the car and it doesn't even leak enough to drip off the pan.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

LS1 rear mains are known to sweat, however at that milage, as long as you have the tranny out, it would be a good idea to replace it.

SteveC

Thread Information