Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rear loose

This is a discussion on Rear loose within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 01NavyBlueSLPSS I'm taking my car in a local trans shop Friday to get it inspected. The owner ...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01NavyBlueSLPSS View Post
    I'm taking my car in a local trans shop Friday to get it inspected. The owner insists the 10 bolt will hold up with a good rebuild. His 650 hp race car has a stock 10 bolt (rules say rear has to stay stock) from a ls1 maro. He even fired it up for me and did a few burn outs (with slicks of course). I'm thinking I'll rebuild just to get me by. I don't trash my car so it should last a little while I hope
    most of our stock 10 bolts (especially on a M6 car) can't even take stock power... for near the price of a rebuild you can buy a used 12 bolt...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    most of our stock 10 bolts (especially on a M6 car) can't even take stock power... for near the price of a rebuild you can buy a used 12 bolt...
    ^THIS! It's strictly a matter of time before a 7.5/7.65 10 bolt will break. If it isn't the carrier or axles, it will be the gears. Ask me how I know. It's not worth rebuilding a stocker. Ask anyone on this site. You can do it, and it may last.....for a while. But it will grenade at some point. A 12 bolt, or 9", or a D60, gives much better piece of mind. I'm not worried about my 9" for sure. When I had the 10 bolt, I was always wondering when I was going to break.......because it did.....more than once.

But it's your call. Just hate to have you spend the money, and not really get anywhere.

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

Is a moser 12 bolt just a straight swap?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 01NavyBlueSLPSS View Post
    Is a moser 12 bolt just a straight swap?
    It can be. Moser makes 12 bolts that will bolt up to many different cars. As long as you get one made for a f-body, it will bolt up. Keep in mind the options for the ABS and TCS, if you have them and intend to keep them. The rear would need to be setup for that too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 Camaro SS M6

It's a 3 channel.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SS SLP

I had the carrier bearings replaced in my '01 SS because the case hardening on the races failed. These bearings were inferior and made by an unknown manufacturer, but the pinion bearings were made by TImken. The symptom was a growling noise at about 35 km/hr and a lot of metal filings on the magnet.

All bearings were replaced with Timken bearings. The Torsen differential was OK. It works well now, but you will always get a gear whine at higher RPM's. Good luck.
    01 SS, NBM non T-top coupe, A4, neutral leather, SS grille, SS dash plaque, Centre Mount Exhaust, 1 of 2, SLP #C110

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This thread makes me think of that one episode of Motor Trend Television on TNN when they had the shootout between the Jon Moss 4th gen ZL-1 and the John Colletti Boss 429 Mustang. The show had a drag race between the two and the ZL-1s rear grenaded as soon as the tree dropped. Made me cringe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information