myothercarisaambulance rigdoctormark's Avatar

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

rear hatch fix didn't work

Has anyone tried the rear hatch fix on install university.com I tried it and used the smaller c 141 springs and it doesn't fly open like everyone says. It releases better but not the fly open and hit you in the head action that was implied.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

It's not supposed to fly open...the spring mod is so you only have to push the button once to open the trunk..instead of pushing the button and the trunk only pops partly open.

myothercarisaambulance rigdoctormark's Avatar

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

well on i was reading on ls2's site and a few on there claim "it nearly took my buddies head off when it flew open" etc. etc. I thought it was bs.

Red
    2000 SS

it was...

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

No, you're not alone. Mine doesn't open the first time either.

I think my problem may be a weak strut. I'll replace it one of these days and maybe it'll work right.

99 Firebird Formula

If you had brand new struts, it might come open harder. But otherwise, that modification just eliminates the annoyance of having to hit the trunk release button while pulling up on the hatch.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by rigdoctormark
    well on i was reading on ls2's site and a few on there claim "it nearly took my buddies head off when it flew open" etc. etc. I thought it was bs.
    I did the mod and have new trunk stuts and it doesn't "fly open"....I push the button and it pops open about a 1/2 in. above the latch and then rests on the latch.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

One of the first mods I ever did - got tired of having to hit the release button multiple times while pulling up on hatch.

The hatch will NOT spring open with any great force with these springs - it will, however, pop open enough to properly clear the latch as it should have been from the factory.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Sorry, but NO spring is going to make that heavy ass hatch fly open fast enough to hit somebody in the head. It's too damn heavy.

Necction
    After doing the mod mine cleared the latch on first hit of the button for about a month. Since then its been pretty much back to the original bs.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Necction
    After doing the mod mine cleared the latch on first hit of the button for about a month. Since then its been pretty much back to the original bs.
    Are the struts still good? Try putting a new piggy back spring on the latch and also adjust the rubber bumbers on the hatch.

Red
    2000 SS

I did the mod with the "first" spring the post said to use, and it worked for a while.

I then went with a heavier spring, and it works as advertised - one hit of the button, it releases and the hatch pops up about an inch (like it's supposed to).

If you want the hatch to fly up (I assume to fully opened position), you need some sort of super strut.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I put a heavy piggy back spring on mine several years ago (It was one of the first mod that I did) and it has worked like a charm ever sense. There is no way that the hatch is going to pop up and spring open like a spring board nor should anyone want it too. As heavy as the hatch is, should in really pop open, that sudden stop at the top of opening would not be very good on the frame work. I'm very happy with the hatch popping open about an inch so that it can be raised. Push the button and it pops open every time with the spring mod. Just exactly the way it is suppose to. The factory should have done what we had to do for them. Anyway, I did the spring mod many, many moons ago and I am happy with the way it works.

Red
    02' Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Sorry, but NO spring is going to make that heavy ass hatch fly open fast enough to hit somebody in the head. It's too damn heavy.

Sounds like a job for MythBusters!!!!!! I bet they could get it to take a head off.....muhaaa!!!!!

black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

The instructions call for a "5/8" diameter x 2.5" long spring".
    I think that come in different rates of pull, or pressure, or tension, or some kind of measure.
    Does anyone know what specific spring works for this repair, or exactly where one can buy this spring? I have been fighting this issue since the car was new. Thanks for any help.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I'm gonna have to buy a really thick spring w/ awesome tension and some "Super Struts" and wait for that glorious moment when someone get's to close...SMACK!!!

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

just did this like 3 minutes ago and al it took was 3 minutes ...i'm so happy, my hatch actually opens like it should now.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

My 98 Camaro always opened on the first try-never had an issue for the 4 years that I owned it. Then I traded it in on the 2002 and it hasn't really worked perfectly. I've lubed it with some white lithium grease and that helped. It still works right about half the time. I've seen these "poppers" for street rods that pop the shaved door handle hotrod doors open when you hit the remote-always wanted to try that on the hatch. There is a type that doesn't require a hole drilled,just two sided taped on. If anyone is interested I will look for the ad in the street rod magazines.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

All you need is a piggyback spring to "help" the existing spring. Go to the hardware store and get a #21 spring and piggyback it over the existing spring. It will take some massageing, but you can make it work. Now mine opens first time every time. About an inch. Which is better than having to hit it five times!

Thread Information