White
    1998 Trans Am

Rear-ended... What to do?

So I stopped to let an ambulance by today and some idiot rear ended me. Damage includes a toast bumper and tail light, crunched drivers side quarter and a gash to my hatch.

My main concern is getting a new quarter on the car... I can do everything else myself.

I only have liability on the car and am not yet sure if his insurance will cover it.... I'd say its 4-5k in damage easy :-\

Help!

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Kill98 View Post
    So I stopped to let an ambulance by today and some idiot rear ended me. Damage includes a toast bumper and tail light, crunched drivers side quarter and a gash to my hatch.

My main concern is getting a new quarter on the car... I can do everything else myself.

I only have liability on the car and am not yet sure if his insurance will cover it.... I'd say its 4-5k in damage easy :-\

Help!
    Welcome to he hit you It's all hit fault he hit you from behind, the way they look at it he should have been far enough behind you so that you could lock your breaks up and he not hit you. If he you lock them up and they hit you then they where following too closely. Call his insurance ask them where are they going to fix your car at and where you need to go to get a rental car because you where hit from behind don't go into details because they might try to say it's somewhat your fault not your fault you stop as required for the situation and he was following to closely.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yup, I'm hoping you had a police report filled out? If not you need to get on that asap. The person that hit you from behind is in the wrong 100% of the time.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Actually there is no local PD there and the state troopers don't come out unless someone is injured...

I'm also not sure if PA holds drivers liable for damages to other vehicles. I asked my LEO friend and he said they may not be, as MI is not. I may be fugged but they'll all surely hear whats on my mind. I'm glad that some people that I've taken an oath to protect would have me deal with thier fuck up myself...

Keep the advice coming, I'm getting irritated...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what insurance company do you use? Call them and explain what happened and they'll tell you exactly what to do. Did you at least get the info of the other driver or witnesses or anything that shows they ran into the back of you? Unfortunately if you don't have any of that and whoever hit you wants to deny it you screwed yourself. ALWAYS get a police report. I'm sure you have a county sheriff who usually handles this sort of thing. Call the sheriff's dept. asap.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Buy a new car?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Accidents: as a Pro driver i you suggest the following, Hopefully you managed to get his info. Always take down his plates and his insurance policy number and contact number. if possible get the vin of the car.

In your situation since you didnt call the cops the process is going to take longer. never admit anythig to the cop or your/their insurance company because theyll have you on tape even if youre not at fault (the guilty ones always seem to screw it up)

In your case since you were rear ended you are not at fault, but since the police wasnt involved its going to be a he did she did sorta argument.

but if it were me in your place i would of gotten out of the car holding my neck rolling around the floor(seriously ive done it before just to mess around with the people) in pain. the last time i got in an accident some morron was mergin on to the freeway and he jump from the Acceleration Ramp all the way to the middle lane and made me hit him so i manuvered my car, did a 480 and I thank god that traffic stoped behind me, the driver tried to blame me because i was doing 90 (according to him) and i didnt even say a word (i actually went home to change my pants ) then about 20 mins later the cop called me and told me to meet him at a gas station, I went there and he said why id left, i told him what happened, said my side of the story etc... and he told me "usually you have to stay at the scence, but in your case then its understandable" so he then told me that guy kept changin his story (thats how the guilty ones screw it up) then i went to therapy got a nice 4000 settlement.

White
    1998 Trans Am

We did call the police but they wouldn't come out.

I got all of his info, policy number, contact number. I have pictures of my car but not his truck (it did very little damage to it anyway), The guy also took pictures of my car as well.

I don't know what you're saying I'd "admit" lol... An ambulance was coming so I slowed down and pulled over as far as I could onto the shoulder. I didn't slam on my brakes or anything. When I saw him flying up on my ass I hammered it at the last second to try and get out and he still hit me. From where I was on the shoulder you can tell he was in the center of the lane still so he didnt try to swerve.

Thanks guys...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Buy a new car?
    And I actually have a new car but I don't want to take a 5,000$ hit on my mint trans am that I was going to be selling....

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I meant fake an injury just to freak him out. (thats what i did when i was hit, but i did hear my neck crack) what city are you from sounds like you have lazy policemen.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I'm from MI but was in Donegal, PA when I was hit
    Last edited by Kill98; 04-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

so you were on vacation? but it doesnt matter though you should of asked for a sheriff if the troopers didnt want to go. you still had to file a report to speed up the repair process.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

Being Its A 98 They Will Total It I Think

White
    1998 Trans Am

They are going to cover the damages. I don't know up to how much but the car has low miles and is otherwise perfect.

Pics:

98 Formula
    06 duramax

damn, that looks expensive. Who is "they"? The people that hit you or their insurance company?

White
    1998 Trans Am

6350 with new parts.

They being his insurance. They may want to total it for that amount but I'm not going to take it for BB value, fuck that.

Thread Information