Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    2002 trans am

rear end rebuild

So..I'm getting my rear end completely rebuilt and i want to buy my gears myself instead of having the place that's doing the work buy them since it will be cheaper, but i don't know what spline axles i have, which carrier series or anything about it..all i know is that i want 4:10's. can anybody tell me exactly what i should look for when buying the ring and pinion??

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome to the site. One word of advice that I'd give, look into replacing the entire rear with either a 12 bolt if auto tranny, or a 9" if manual. The stock rears are very weak, and cause many problems. Especially when running lower gears. The price would probably be close to the same, if you're having a shop do the rebuild. Installation is relatively easy too. I did mine by myself in less than a day. Moser, MidWest Chassis, and Strange are the more popular manufacturers.

But to answer your other questions directly, you have 28 spline axles, as long as they are stock. The carrier, if stock, will depend on the gears the car came with. If nothing has been changed, you can check the RPO codes on the driver's door sticker -
    GU2 - 2.73 's Standard auto trans gear ratio.
    GU3 - 3.08 's V6 gear ratio
    GU5 3.23 's Optional auto trans gear ratio
    GU6 - 3.42 's Standard manual trans gear ratio

If I remember correctly, the 2.73's and 3.08's use a series 2 carrier, and 3.23's and 3.42's use a series 3 carrier. I'm sure someone else will confirm this though.
    Last edited by Knight; 02-08-2012 at 09:03 AM.

black
    2002 trans am

Ok thanks..the shop that I called said they would replace every bearing and seal and get and install 4:10s for 600-800 dollars..Im not sure if that's a good deal or not but every complete 12 bolt axle I found brand new is around 2400 dollars.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with Knight. A fully built 12-bolt or 9-inch is alot better than rebuilding your current rear. And, with the front end on ramps and the rear on jackstands, and the proper tools, you can swap the rears yourself in a matter of hours.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Op, what we are trying to tell you that the money you are dropping in the 10 bolt will be wasted when it blows out on a hard launch. These 10 bolts will break under stock power and throwing in 4.10 gears will make it easier.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Op, what we are trying to tell you that the money you are dropping in the 10 bolt will be wasted when it blows out on a hard launch. These 10 bolts will break under stock power and throwing in 4.10 gears will make it easier.
    I think all on here would agree with that. If the build cost is $800 that is money that could be put towards a 12 bolt or 9". Add about a $1000 to that build cost and you have a 12 bolt from Moser minus shipping ( I am not saying buy Moser just an example). If you spend $800 now you will be spend another $800 when it breaks again or you decided to buy a better rear.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 02-09-2012 at 06:02 PM.

black
    2002 trans am

I understand but money is the biggest issue right now. I'm already having trouble with the rebuild price. I was looking on eBay and there are 12 bolts from 60's Nova's and such, how hard would it be to make that work?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You'll spend more $ having a shop fabbing one of those up to work on your car than a new one would cost. Money may be tight, but $800 is halfway to a better rear. Plus, think how bad it would be to spend the $800 to rebuild the stocker, and it only last a short time. Then your back in the same boat. We all speak from experience here, and many of us from hindsight too. If you can't swing a new one, I'd look to invest the least amount possible into that 10 bolt, and save to upgrade.

Navy Blue Metallic

OP, believe me when I say this we fully understand how money is tight. That is why we are really stressing the point about not wasting the money on the stock rear.

Now if it's your only car and you need it, I say get a gear ratio of 3.23 or 3.42 and just repair it while saving for a better rear. Putting 4.10's in will lead you right were you are or worse.

black
    2002 trans am

So what about 3:73's? Is there a big difference between those and 4:10's? And would they be a bad choice for the stock 10 bolt? A new problem has come up..my brother just bought an 03 supercharged cobra and wants to run when I get the rear rebuilt..I can't lose to a Ford..

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Any money spent on the stock 10 bolt is a waste, unless it's an absolute must to have the car on the road. And the last thing you'll want to do is race it. As for running with that Ford, what mods are done to your car now?

black
    2002 trans am

Nothing unless you consider slp exhaust,plugs,wires,and k&n as mods...like I said,money is tight until the car is paid off in another year and a half

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Best advice is buy a used 10 bolt. That will cost you a few hundred bucks. Take the 600 you save and keep saving for a 12 bolt.

Black SS and grey Mach1
    00 SS and 04 Mach1

Quote Originally Posted by jezzell88 View Post
    03 supercharged cobra and wants to run when I get the rear rebuilt..I can't lose to a Ford..
    I'd say the 03 cobra would have you. are there any mods done to it?. As for the rear end rebuild the rear end with the stock ratio and save your money for a better rear. just my .02
    00' SS 6m TTops 4.10's pacesetter lt's SLP lid borla cat back and tune.
    No times yet

black
    2002 trans am

I'm not sure what's done to the cobra..he just got it yesterday and I'm gonna check it out and drive it after work today..also my
    t/a wheel hops real bad and I feel some swaying from side to side in the rear..what would that be??some people say trailing arm bushings..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Swaying side to side - pan hard bar

Wheel hop - lower control arms

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jezzell88 View Post
    So what about 3:73's? Is there a big difference between those and 4:10's? And would they be a bad choice for the stock 10 bolt? A new problem has come up..my brother just bought an 03 supercharged cobra and wants to run when I get the rear rebuilt..I can't lose to a Ford..

if you're worried about money right now and rebuilding your rear get the stock gear ratio... you're looking at lower gear ratio's that weaken an already weak rear plus you have wheel hop problems to start with... there is no guarantee that the first time you get on it the stock rera even with a fresh rebuild will survive... two rebuilds = the 12 bolt's price...

Ray Charles blue

$800? No way....shop is ripping you off. Everything for mine with a complete rebuild kit was $350.

Hosed is the word. Save your money and get an S60. 12-bolts have have some issues.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Best advice is buy a used 10 bolt. That will cost you a few hundred bucks. Take the 600 you save and keep saving for a 12 bolt.
    I just bought a used 10 bolt from a salvage yard for $50 (it's for a 8.8 build)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

They are readily available, and cheap.

Thread Information