Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bills98ta
  • 1 Post By 0rion

Is this rear axle bad?

This is a discussion on Is this rear axle bad? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi all. i just need to replace the bearing. Can I use the axle like it is? or do I ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Is this rear axle bad?

Hi all. i just need to replace the bearing. Can I use the axle like it is? or do I need a repair bearing? I'm waiting to put it back. Thanks.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I think you should get other axles... That's where the bearing rollers ride, and you will still feel & hear it...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The race is destroyed. If you use it, it will destroy your new bearing as well.. I would consider a replacement..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

So a repair bearing wont work here? It's funny because my friend mechanic told me that as long as the surface is even all across you are okay to use it.
    I put it back since I didn't heard soon enough from the site. One thing I noticed is that my bad vibration on the back tire is gone. I really can't afford a new axle right now, but when I do can I get any replacement or does it matters? thanks guys
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-18-2010 at 08:06 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    So a repair bearing wont work here? It's funny because my friend mechanic told me that as long as the surface is even all across you are okay to use it.
    I put it back since I did heard soon enough from the site. One thing I noticed is that my bad vibration on the back tire is gone. I really can't afford a new axle right now, but when I do can I get any replacement or does it matters? thanks guys
    Imho, time for a new mechanic.jk. That is a machined surface for a reason. Imho With the face machining gone the new bearing will be chewed up by it in a short time. If you're using this axle with your replacement bearing .. It may get you by..

To the other as long as the length, spines, and lug pattern match you can get a used axle from another ten bolt. If you can't find one in an f-body try looking @ s-10, axles..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-18-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I see. So this mark is a wear and tear sign? Do this happen to all axles with time? I mean I understand what you are saying I'm just trying to figure out why is it bad when the surface is smoth and equal all the way in the race area, it just looks different. I know that's the area were the bearing rides. When I pulled the old bearing it was in good shape. It didn't look schew up and it was intact. I know that something was wrong with the bearing because I always had a bad vibration like when a wheel is off balance and that vibration is gone. I still have some noise but is like 30% less. I'm still thinking my noise is from the front. I'm almost sure I can hear it in the front.

I was going to get an used axle from a yard but I was thinking that the other ones will be bad or close to the same. I will take a look at the S 10's if I see one. As long as the vehicle has a GM 10 bolt rear end, it wil be the same as mine right? Will anyone shine some light about using repair bearings? Thanks
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-18-2010 at 08:13 AM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

It might have run with low gear oil...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

There are some aftermarket repair bearings for rear axles that relocate where the bearing rides on the axle. I've used them many times on customers cars with no problem, and your axle looks like a good candidate for it. And make sure to fix the leak/seep that caused your axle to go low on fluid, or at least check the level regularly.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for all the replies. Since I owned the vehicle the fluid has been checked and its never been low. I can't talk about the previous owner. I will leave it as it is since I will damage the new bearing and I can't return it since its used. I will try to save some money to get a new or replacement shaft. I read so many problems trying to get the repair bearings out because its a tight fit for the c clips.

I'm trying to save money to replace the front hub too. I'm trying to get rid of this noise and its really hard to pin point if is the front or back. I'll just have to learn to live with it lol.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-18-2010 at 04:09 PM.

NBM
    1998Z28

Find you an axle at your local used parts (junkyard) if possible. I had one like yours on my last rearend rebuild and the local Chevy Dealership wanted $400.00 for a new one.

Polar White
    1999 30th Anniversary T/A

What happened its 2015 I have problem with my 30th ta Told Right axle needs to be replaced quoted $1500.00 from GM store. Looking at using a RP 5707 repair bearing how is yours doing?

White
    1998 Trans Am

A few more $$$, you can have a 9" or 12 bolt... Should be plenty of good used ones out there. I have a buddy that's selling a good whole rear for a few hundred...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

damn...wish you were closer. My stock 10 bolt is in the shed collecting dust......you could have it for free. You will be tearing that apart again at some point and it won't take long I bet. Bearings don't like rough surfaces. I think what your mechanic was saying was if it's still smooth with just some cosmetic type blemishing. If he saw that axle he would have told you it's done.

Polar White

0rion,
    Me to I priced a complete from salvage need TCS and 6 speed gears.

bills98ta
    It is car #1390 I bought it brand new with 7 miles on it and have gone to great lengths to keep it stock.
    I realize those are much stronger rear ends
    in 2012
    I would have just had the dealer fix it If I still had my amazing job but my dad took ill. I am now his unpaid caregiver makes it hard to even maintain the car properly with no $$$
    I am new to the board so If you want I have written the story of the car but it wont let me post the URL right now

yellow
    87 iroc

it will be fine, seen way worst than that!

Polar White

Davidiroc,
    That is the original posters from 2010 I just Pm'ed him see what happened 5 years ago.
    I should start a new thread.

it may be repaired!

Polar White

Just for closure on the topic Got a hold of the original poster
    "I tried the repair bearing and it didn't last long. It will get you going for a while but start saving for a replacement axle if you have a bad axle race."
    This is the information that I needed to hear thank you all for your input on the topic.
    I am going the repair bearing route since it is a limited edition car I am going to try to keep it as stock as I can. I don't think anyone would be able to tell that its a repair bearing with out pulling the wheel off.
    Axle's seem like they are only $120.00 or so on rock auto as long as I don't ruin the rest of the rear end with metal shavings. I think I will be fine.
    Thank you again for the advice wish these forums were around when I was 14.

Thread Information