really BAD sound coming from DS head light after going down... sounds like grinding

This is a discussion on really BAD sound coming from DS head light after going down... sounds like grinding within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey guys, well I had a DS head Light rebuilt to to some moron backing into me.... the door started ...

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

really BAD sound coming from DS head light after going down... sounds like grinding

Hey guys,
    well I had a DS head Light rebuilt to to some moron backing into me.... the door started hitting the hood a little bit... It still goes up and down fine but when it goes down it makes a really bad griding noise.... not sure exactly how to describe it... is this the gear or a bad motor? Should a take it apart and see if I can find it my self? Thanks guys

WS6BIRD
    yes the gear is bad. replace motor or get metal gears for it

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

replace the motor and gears.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Just finished fixing mine last night. I've had the gears for a few weeks now. Really easy to do. I let the epoxy set for 24 hours before putting the motor back in but it only takes a few minutes to pull the motor. Do yourself a favor and pull the whole headlight assembly out and set it to the side. Watch the video at this site and he does a really good job of explaining it all.
    Link
    http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/#Ordering

Red
    1998 Trans Am / Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Just finished fixing mine last night. I've had the gears for a few weeks now. Really easy to do. I let the epoxy set for 24 hours before putting the motor back in but it only takes a few minutes to pull the motor. Do yourself a favor and pull the whole headlight assembly out and set it to the side. Watch the video at this site and he does a really good job of explaining it all.
    Link
    http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/#Ordering
    I did mine last week. However I did not need to take out my headlight assembly. You can get in there with the head light up and by reaching your hand down there. Didn't take too long... it was my first time doing it. Just take note before you start of how everything is assembled. Yes I would also recommend the metal gears as well... they are made out of plastic and strip easy. The motor is over $200. I would get the new motor out of the person who backed into you and the next time get the gear. I would not put the motor in though if you have any thing restricting the headlight going up and down.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

is the epoxy effecient or is the small screws like the one guy did a better idea... I dont want to keep having to take apart the head light because it keeps coming losse.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Actually, I never got the screws so I just used the epoxy and let it sit 24 hours before putting it back in. I figure it's such an easy job that if there is a problem I'll epoxy them next time around.

Thread Information