Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

rattle at 4,500 to 5,500 rpm

Ok I took the car out for a speed run today and when I get on it, at about 4,500 to 5,500 rpms it makes a funny rattle noise. When I race 5,500 is usually right where I shift. Could my new K&N fipk have caused this? Just wondering as I didnt notice it before with the stock air intake and silencer. I checked all the mounting hardware and its all tite. Also the cat was replaced under warranty last week, could the flange have come loose between the cat and head pipe and require a retorque since it doesnt use springs? anyone got any clues?

Thanks
    Justin
    Last edited by Justin93; 07-15-2008 at 03:46 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

does it sound like it's coming from the engine compartment or under the car? It could be something as minor as a loose bracket or something along those lines but it could also be detonation or "ping".

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    Ok I took the car out for a speed run today and when I get on it, at about 4,500 to 5,500 rpms it makes a funny rattle noise. When I race 5,500 is usually right where I shift. Could my new K&N fipk have caused this? Just wondering as I didnt notice it before with the stock air intake and silencer. I checked all the mounting hardware and its all tite. Also the cat was replaced under warranty last week, could the flange have come loose between the cat and head pipe and require a retorque since it doesnt use springs? anyone got any clues?

Thanks
    Justin
    sounds like detonation,maybe the air flow of the new cia did it ,jack the car up ,hit them cats with a dead blow hammer if they rattle,tighten em,id call it not the cats because it would rattle all the time not at peak hp.what octain and or gas you run in the car,stick a bottle of 106 and or some other good octain booster to see if it still does it..the aluminum ls motor sounds like a very slight rattle when they are detonating,I advise you to be very carefull, dont take a lot to break em.let us know what you find.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Since I've bought the car Ive been putting nothing but 92 or 93 depending on the gas station . Its weird. Maybe Bad GAS or switching brands too often. Why would this thing be detonating with just a CAI? On any of the vehicles that I've had I've never seen a CAI cause Detonation but maybe im wrong.

I've had the intake on since last monday and it wasnt doing it all last week or this weekend when I went to the track. I'll try that octane booster stuff tonight and see what happens.

Also It only ever does it under load. If i rev the car to the same RPM range in neutral its got no rattle. It almost sounds like a heat shield rattling against something. Im really thinking bad gas at this point, good thing shes almost empty, Im going to head to BP instead of sunoco this time and see if that solves the problem.
    Last edited by Justin93; 07-16-2008 at 12:11 PM.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

another Idea I just had was since this is at only high rpms could this be a sign of clutch or flywheel wear being GM in its infinite wisdom didnt exactly put the best clutch systems in these cars. Ive heard of guys having High rpm rattles due to this.

Ive also noticed today that it is most audible in second gear going to third and the shifts get really difficult when racing. Also I have noticed that it will make the same noise when im in a numerically higher gear going at a real slow speed causing the motor to bog down. I think this just might be a random rattle after doing some more trouble shooting.
    Last edited by Justin93; 07-16-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Could be anything.

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

I have the same problem and I think it's detonation. Like you said it will also do it if you are in a higher gear at a low RPM. One thing I noticed is that it won't do it every time I give it gas. Usually after I do it once it won't do it again if I try about one second after that; but if I wait several seconds and then do it again it will do it. So I don't think it is something physically rattling otherwise it would do it every time. At least in my case.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Get Autotap and see if you're getting any KR. Great tool to have.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Well I drove it all last night and today on a new tank of gas from BP and no rattles at all, Im at a loss lol. I guess it fixed its self.

also where can i get this auto tap scanner? anyone have a part number or model number?
    Last edited by Justin93; 07-17-2008 at 09:43 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you just had your cats replaced they could have bent or bumped a heat shield that it vibrates... the tones and frequncies and everything else might make them vibrate more at that rpm range than others...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    if you just had your cats replaced they could have bent or bumped a heat shield that it vibrates... the tones and frequncies and everything else might make them vibrate more at that rpm range than others...
    I was in pittsburgh on sunday and did bottom the car our pretty good on the drivers side and noticed scraping on the y pipe. Something must have broke loose causing this rattle cause now it rattles all the time.

update it seems the drivers side heat shield on the manifold was loose after further inspection and needed tightend. I could duplicate the rattle by tapping on it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

also where can i get this auto tap scanner? anyone have a part number or model number?
    http://www.autotap.com/
    http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=152
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 07-17-2008 at 03:33 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I was in pittsburgh on sunday and did bottom the car our pretty good on the drivers side and noticed scraping on the y pipe. Something must have broke loose causing this rattle cause now it rattles all the time.

update it seems the drivers side heat shield on the manifold was loose after further inspection and needed tightend. I could duplicate the rattle by tapping on it.
    easy fix!!!! hope that was it!!!

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    easy fix!!!! hope that was it!!!
    I just ran it down the highway hard and had zero rattle, I hope that was it too lol.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, hope so. It's hard to diagnose this sort of thing over the internet. I just read through your posts again and would've swore this was detonation from the descriptions you were giving.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, hope so. It's hard to diagnose this sort of thing over the internet. I just read through your posts again and would've swore this was detonation from the descriptions you were giving.
    Thanks for the trouble shooting help anyway. Ill keep this updated but so far so good

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Thanks for the trouble shooting help anyway. Ill keep this updated but so far so good
    always better safe then sorry.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

yea Ill be a quaker city raceway tonight making a few passes, we'll see what happens

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

We'll two tanks of gas later and a night of hard racing plus city driving and no issues, Im thinking it was either the gas at the sunoco station or it was the heat shield. Either way Im much happier now.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

So Far Its Been A Week And No Issue !!!!!!

Thread Information