Thread: Random no start

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

Random no start

My 2001 SS just randomly won't start whenever it feels like it. It leaves me stranded whenever and it only does it every once in a while, even had it towed home once and it started rite up after being dropped off. So frustrated we changed the relays under the hood and it didn't happen for like five months until this morning. It just clicks everything powers up but it won't turn over just makes a clicking seems like you can hear it behind the radio. Does anyone know anything about this issue? Please help!
    Mama Steph

black
    2001 camaro ss

do u loose power when u hear the click ? i would start checking everything going to the starter ie fuse, relay, power wires, and ground wires. i have seen fuses that appear to be good but have a crack in the plastic cause intermittent problems. pull wires to starter and check for security, and corrosion do the same at the battery. make sure contacts are shiny. also check the wires themselves from the battery to the starter u can get corrosion inside the wires from the battery. sounds like a bad connection either from being loose or corrosion. clicking is probably a relay that normally clicks but u dont notice because the car turning over drowns it out.

let me know what u find

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

I went out and turned the key and it started rite up, like I said its so random I always know it will start again just wish I could pin point exactly what causes it. It probably won't happen again for months but it also could leave me stranded at any given time.

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

It doesn't lose power it just doesn't do anything its almost like a security glich or something shuts down the whole car.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Have you done the VATS bypass yet? It's possible that could be causing your problem.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-byp...ur-vats-61262/
    Last edited by Knight; 01-07-2012 at 07:31 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Have you done the VATS bypass yet? It's possible that could be causing your problem.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-byp...ur-vats-61262/
    This..

Good way to tell is sometimes the Security light will flash, or stay on steady for an extended period of time.

If you don't want to bypass the VATS system, I'd start by checking the ignition switch, and possibly the wireing that runs down along the column.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Are you a manual transmission?

If so, and you have no security light, it could be your neutral saftey switch.

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

No its automatic, think ill have hubby try the VAT thing and hope that that's a good first start ....thanks guys!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Automatics also have a neutral safety switch as well.

Usually located under the gear shifter center console bolted to the gear change mechanism.

It only permits the vehicle to be started in Park, and Neutral..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

Thanks any info is appreciated

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

Ok guys I have another question, if you do this bypass you don't ever need to change out the ignition cylinoid? Also would installing a remote start solve anything or would bypassing the VAT system be an issue later when I do want to install a remote start? Just a thought I am still having issues and its just getting more frequent.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Ok hold on you never fully clarified and said your security light is on or flashing. First off, is it? If it is, then do the VATS bypass and you will be fixed up, you dont have to remove the solenoid all you have to do is cut into two wires and solder a small resistor to it, of course it has to match your ohms from the chip on your key. If that is not it, then ive had your problem one time before. My car would randomly not start and some days it would start up just fine. I drove it one day all day fine and stopped at a gas station and bam, it didnt want to start. I had to wait about 45 minutes and then it started up fine once again. It turned out to be the starter. I replaced it (pretty easy install) and i never had a problem since. Autozone said it wasnt putting out enough power to crank the motor.

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

The security light flashes at first but then goes away. This happened to me the first time in the summer, we replaced the relay and it didnt happen again until about two weeks ago. Hubby said its not the starter hes pretty sure. It is now happening more frequently though, so its definately something thats going bad and getting worse. Hes going to try bypassing the vats system this week, i guess we will see what happens and go from there. I eventually want to install a remote start anyway, from what i hear this resister needs to be done when they install that anyway.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I have had this problem in the past with the security light staying on. I didnt know about the VATS bypass till now. All I do is turn the key on and wait for the security light to go out (not long at all) then start the car. Never have that problem anymore.

Not saying thats a fix, just works for me.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Had the same problem on my '92 S10. The nut on the starter hot stud was loose and the cable lug was laying on the threads. make sure all connections are tight and no corrosion under battery positive lead.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by my1stss View Post
    The security light flashes at first but then goes away. This happened to me the first time in the summer, we replaced the relay and it didnt happen again until about two weeks ago. Hubby said its not the starter hes pretty sure. It is now happening more frequently though, so its definately something thats going bad and getting worse. Hes going to try bypassing the vats system this week, i guess we will see what happens and go from there. I eventually want to install a remote start anyway, from what i hear this resister needs to be done when they install that anyway.
    I recently had a very similar issue. Started out with just a random dead key sometimes, radio would come on but no crank at all. At first it only happen once every couple of months but like you said it got progressively worse. I didnt think it was a starter either because usually they give some warning signs and you can usually hear the starter solenoid click over which mine didnt. Finally one day it left me stranded in my driveway and once I whacked the starter with a hammer (old way to test the starter) the car fired right up. A new starter and I've been problem free since. Just some food for thought I had never seen a starter behave like mine did when it went bad so it still might be your issue.

Thread Information