red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Ran over a Sand bag

well, last wed i was driving my car home from work and came up over a slight hill and there wasa huge sand bag right in the middle of the road. i had nowhere i could go, cars in the other lane and a curb, so i slowed down and tried to move over so as not to hit the oil pan or anything right down the middle of the car. Crash, bam, boom, and i was over it. it still drove fine. my house was less then a mile away, so when i got home a checked under it with a flash light. only thing i noticed was some rubbing on my muffler, not straches, just rubbed off dirt and road nastyness.

well, it snowed that night, so i didnt drive it again until today, monday morning.

so, this morning is the first time i drove it since the 'incident', anyway, it had a burning rubber smell the whole way to my daughters daycare and all the way to work. so, i popped the hood to check and see if anything was rubbing on the belt, but i didnt see anything. i'm going to crawl under it at lunch today and see if anything was rubbing on the bottom pulley.

anything else i should check?

sorry for the long ass post.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

could possibly be your exhaust hitting something rubber since you said that it got hit by the sand bag

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Something rubbing on a tire? The stock rear suspension pieces are pretty flimsy. Best bet is to get under it and look everything over real good. I hit a truck tire carcass on an Interstate once with my Talon -- not a real fun experience, but fortunately no appreciable damage. Good luck!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'd pop the back tires off and check the wheel wells for signs of rubbing...

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

sand bags are typically nylon, and would have instantly melted to any exhaust parts it touched.

As long as you have no obvious problems(overheating, low oil pressure, low voltage) dirve it and the smell should dissipate in a few days.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    sand bags are typically nylon, and would have instantly melted to any exhaust parts it touched.

As long as you have no obvious problems(overheating, low oil pressure, low voltage) dirve it and the smell should dissipate in a few days.
    thanks.

you can see on the muffler where it hit the sand bag.

it drives fine, sounds fine, has good oil pressure and voltage still.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

might as well pop the air filter and see if an excess amount of sand was caught by it or blew a hole in it. i say this because your air dam was most likely the 1st thing that it hit first. you could also have the remains of the bag wrapped up on something. drive shaft, wheels, etc...I've seen it all when it comes to sand bags....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post

Check the exhaust really good. The top and bottom of it. When I had burnt smell I found out that a plastic bag got caught in the exhaust and burnt on it. I had to scrape as much as I could and eventually the smell stopped. Like mention before the sand bag is made of nylon. Good Luck.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

thanks guys.

it was one of those constructon type, long and skinny, real heavy ones. they had them on the side of the road bt where they were doing some constuction and some how one had been pushed out into the street.

i definatly did not bust the bag, and on the way home today, no smell.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

good to hear!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Check the exhaust really good. The top and bottom of it. When I had burnt smell I found out that a plastic bag got caught in the exhaust and burnt on it. I had to scrape as much as I could and eventually the smell stopped. Like mention before the sand bag is made of nylon. Good Luck.
    i had a squirrel get wrapped around my y-pipe... smelled nastey...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i had a squirrel get wrapped around my y-pipe... smelled nastey...
    Damn
    Never heard that one before

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Damn
    Never heard that one before
    yeah... i felt bad for hitting him then when i was sitting at a traffic light i smelled him cooking away... he got wedged inbetween the floor board and y-pipe... i was trying to poke him out of there with a stick...

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    yeah... i felt bad for hitting him then when i was sitting at a traffic light i smelled him cooking away... he got wedged inbetween the floor board and y-pipe... i was trying to poke him out of there with a stick...

the weirdest thing i ever hit was a bird. its head got wedged between the bars in my billet grill. poor thing probably never saw it coming

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post

the weirdest thing i ever hit was a bird. its head got wedged between the bars in my billet grill. poor thing probably never saw it coming
    i hit a bear...he tumbled along side of my car... only thing it did was get fur all over my car... i got home and called my parents to tell them what had just happened and they didnt believe me... they called me a little while later to tell me that a bear was eating the neighbors bird feeders... i said "yeaaaaah... suuuuuure there's a bear..."

a 5 gallon bucket flew off a trailer and i have no time to react. yeah i hit it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I had a piece of rebar fly off the back of a truck and hit the front windshield of my 88 crown vic. It was a big piece, when I saw it coming I even ducked to the passenger seat as a reaction. It happened in the highway to make it even worse. The winshield got a bad scratch but didn't cracked i was surprised it held up. Thank God.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Hit a skunk in my old dd. That was a sumbitch.
    Recently had a bucket fly up from car in front of my and jack up the bumper and exhaust on my g8

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Hit a skunk in my old dd. That was a sumbitch.
    Recently had a bucket fly up from car in front of my and jack up the bumper and exhaust on my g8
    I hit a skunk in the Z. A couple of rare nights out of the garage for it. 3 times at the car wash to get the smell off. Had to do the underbody flush each time.

Thread Information