Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rain/Idle Issues

This is a discussion on Rain/Idle Issues within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by JoshieDoom Anybody have any rain problem with their f-body? Seems like if i drive my car in ...

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Anybody have any rain problem with their f-body?

Seems like if i drive my car in the rain its fine, but as soon as i let it sit in the rain with it idling it starts acting like its missfiring, shaking the whole car, even lurching at idle in drive.

Engine is dry as a bone, filter is dry... PCM is wet... could this be it???

BTW... no codes...
    mine does the same exact thing. if im driving in the rain and come up to a stop sign or red light and have to stop for the light, my car does exactly what you mentioned. but ONLY when its raining.

to be honest, ive never thought much about it. seeing as how it only happens when im stopped/idleing at a red light.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

This is where the mystery begins. I took a spray bottle and HOSED down every part of the engine at idle one at a time. Its nothing under the engine bay. Hutch, I think your 02 theory is right

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

well good luck in figuring it out man

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Doesnt look like Ill be worrying about rain for a while..

It was 4 degrees this morning.. lol

Ill try greasing up those 02 sensors and do some digging under there

Appreciate the help guys and ill report back

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

This is the only thread I can find addressing this rain/idle issue, but mine does the same thing. When it rains really hard it will act like it's detonating, missing, and won't stop til I give it WOT. Then it sends a "service engine soon" light on the dash. Once a couple days go by, it stops and I don't worry about it. I almost dread driving it in the rain, because this always happens. The previous posts didn't have a "service engine soon" issue. Eventually that goes away too. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

If the SES came on, you have a code. Read the code and it may pinpoint the issue for you.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-21-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Red

Thanks Firebird. I'll check it out!

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I thought your issue was the pcm being wet??? Thats what I gathered in your first post. Then you alluded to your hood being aftermarket when I said your cowl seal may have been leaking,,,as if the hood was the issue???

Maybe I'm reading you wrong here. I am by no means trying to insult your hood. Sorry if it cost you $800 but for that kind of money it better damn well seal the cowl or I'd be sending that thing back. Just my humble opinion.

But that PCM should not be getting wet, and I would eliminate that threat first before chasing around other ideas. Especially since you said the car acts up when sitting in the rain,,,which would give a chance for the water to pool in the corners of the cowl area. Niether of mine pool water in those areas in the rain, which leads me to believe you have a clogged water drain in the cowl corner,,,or that hood seal is not sealing??
    I looked at the location of my PCM and the condition of the rubber hood seal. The rubber hood seal looked good but the lip where the water runs off the windshield and towards the side of the car, stops right over the top of the PCM...what kind of engineer would do that? Common sense tells you that you should extend the plastic to a point that would cause water to NOT be deposited directly onto the PCM...!!!! Is anyone else with me here? For real??? Frustrated with the design flaw, I took aluminum foil and formed a shed, cover over the PCM to keep water from pouring directly on top of it and all of the wiring. I guess I'll see the next time it rains if that was the problem. If that fixes it, I think I will cut a piece of thin guage aluminum and attach it to the existing black plastic to form an extension..... the way it should have been done in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I looked at the location of my PCM and the condition of the rubber hood seal. The rubber hood seal looked good but the lip where the water runs off the windshield and towards the side of the car, stops right over the top of the PCM...what kind of engineer would do that? Common sense tells you that you should extend the plastic to a point that would cause water to NOT be deposited directly onto the PCM...!!!! Is anyone else with me here?
    Yeah I'm with ya. I've never liked the fact that GM started putting computers out in the engine compartment anyway (they used to be stashed in the passenger kick panel in most instances)
    To add insult to injury, it's not covered with anything and exposed to the elements. And yeah, I've noticed the cowl stops right above it.

I'm not a fan of the setup either,,,,but on the same token I haven't had an issue with it,,,,,so far (knock on wood)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information