Radiators and Cooler Lines

This is a discussion on Radiators and Cooler Lines within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi guys, I'm looking for a donor vehicle with a 6.0L Vortec engine for my 1985 S10 2wd pickup build, ...

Spencerport, NY

1985 S10 Pickup

Radiators and Cooler Lines

Hi guys, I'm looking for a donor vehicle with a 6.0L Vortec engine for my 1985 S10 2wd pickup build, it's only going to be a week end cruiser. My question or concern is that the Vortec 6.0L comes with a engine oil cooler setup that has lines running to the radiator. I don't think I have the room to run the lines to the front neatly on that side of the engine and don't know what radiator I could use if I could. Originally I planned to use a '88 Corvette HD radiator and just run 2 lines up for the tranny cooler, do I really need a engine oil cooler? could I just loop the lines and just forget about the the oil cooler or am I inviting trouble. I'm not crazy about trying to run a extra set of lines to the front and adding a external cooler because of the line issue. Has anyone have any suggestions or run into this, there are a lot of S10 pickups with 6.0L engines in them running around, what did they do? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

If you don't want the cooler just remove it and simply install the factory block off plate on the block above the oil filter.

Just hit up the dealer, tell them you need the block off plate for an LS1. LS1's didn't have the oil cooler but all the blocks were capable, GM just simply blocked it with a small plate and a gasket.

You'll also need a new bolt too, as it's shorter than the oil cooler line bolt. It's all available at the dealer last time I did it. Only cost a few bucks.

Thread Information