Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Radiator/tranny flush

This is a discussion on Radiator/tranny flush within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Toughest part is the heater hose assembly. I went with the GM replacement and it was a bitch to install. ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Toughest part is the heater hose assembly. I went with the GM replacement and it was a bitch to install. Looks like most guys skip that and simply install heater hose sourced from the parts store. I do recommend dropping the block drains as quite a bit of coolant remains in the engine, even after you pull the thermostat. There is a small brass allen head plug on the block rail between the starter and the block, and a large 17mm allen head plug behind the alternator.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Upper hose is two piece, lower hose, crossover tube to throttle body, throttle body to radiator, heater inlet and outlet hose assemblies, and then there is an overflow hose as well. That should be all of them.
    I only heard the upper hose and lower hose when I asked checker. Do I really need to replace all of those other ones as well? Where can I find them if that's the case? I'm going to be following the write up of Jay (DIY cooling sytem flush) step by step so everything that's in there is what i'm going to be shootin for..

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's up to you. Ten year old hoses? I'd be changing them.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It's up to you. Ten year old hoses? I'd be changing them.
    It's hard to argue with that logic. I wish I had thought of those when i changed the rest. Next flush.....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ and trust that it wont pop on you in town...Oh no it will wait until you are way out hell and gone and then you will be cursing yourself and saying i should have changed those hoses!!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

But what about the originality of the OE hoses 15 years from now? Won't that detract from the collector value???

I overheard a guy one day say he kept his OE waterpump gasket, so he could have it when/if he sold the car.

And y'all better know I'm joking, but not about what I overheard.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    ^ and trust that it wont pop on you in town...Oh no it will wait until you are way out hell and gone and then you will be cursing yourself and saying i should have changed those hoses!!!!
    Oh, you've heard of my luck? LMAO

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Oh, you've heard of my luck? LMAO
    Hey Hey wait a minute YOU cant take MY bad luck!!.... Naww on second thought you can have it!! I always get the "Ive never seen that before'' comment!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Please gentlemen keep sharing your misfortunes of these damn OE hoses failing on you, it'll make me feel better about buying 20 hoses at god knows how much XD *sigh* this is probably gonna cost me more than what the shop would charged
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Actually, prob about the same, you just get new hoses instead of waiting in the lobby for two hours for them to do it. Same as repairs around the house. You can buy the tools and still save money.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do it yourself and know that the job is done right.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Good points I'm no handy man though so this`ll definitely take me some time to do. This project actually sounds like fun though, as long as there's no confusing parts.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nothing I would consider confusing. Tools that make the job easier include channel locks, a hose pick, and a remote hose clamp tool. If I recall correctly, I basically laid over the front of the engine bay to reach the heater hose clamps on the firewall. Also, keep in mind that the tanks on your radiator are plastic -- don't horse on the hoses too much or you risk cracking one. You should remove the overflow bottle (under the battery) and wash that out real well. I have had great success removing scale and garabage from overflow bottles using CLR -- a calcium, lime and rust remover you can get at almost any store that sells cleaning products. Just be sure to thorougly rinse it out before reinstalling it back on the car. Hopefully, your replacement thermostat (good idea to swap that out as well) will have an air bleed in it. Even so, be very careful of an airlocked cooling system when you fire the engine up again. If the upper radiator hose does not go from cold to warm to hot shortly after operating temperature is reached, shut it down. Rocking the car on its suspension and judicious application of the throttle can help get air pockets out. Once you are done, monitor the level of coolant both in the radiator and overflow bottle for a couple of days.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^great advice from Jeff, for someone who hasn't done any cooling system DIY.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information