Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Radiator/tranny flush

This is a discussion on Radiator/tranny flush within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Since the LS1 and the 3800 f-bodies share the same rez.. I can tell you I had to chemically clean ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Since the LS1 and the 3800 f-bodies share the same rez..

I can tell you I had to chemically clean my rez to get out all the sludge because just flushing it with water did'nt do the trick for me.

The sludge was a heavy goop that did'nt want to wash. I even tried hot soapy water and that did'nt get it.

I mixed about equal parts kerosene with water and then closed off the rez and shook it up.

That effectively removed the dex-cool goop.

After that I then flushed it again with soapy water then just clean water and reinstalled the rez.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I use tap water (we're on a well) to flush the system and then perform the final flush with distilled water.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the heads up smittro, I'll plan accordingly just in case I run into the same problem.

So far I've bought 2 gallons of dexcool and a thermostat plus the housing. I'll buy two gallons of filtered water tomorrow..is that all I need?
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^sounds like you have a plan.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have to say it again, you should change your hoses while you have it apart. Did you get the right thermostat?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^ Totally agree -it would be a bitch to do all that then have a hose pop on you!! and yeah make sure it the right thermo-and pointed in the right direction sounds funny but ive seen it happen!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Right, the hoses..where can I buy them? And how many are there?

I'm going by the write up so hopefully the mistakes will be minimal lol. The guy at checker o reilly hooked me up with the right thermostat, it comes with the housing. should be the right one i'd assume

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sounds like you have the right thermostat. The hoses depend, do you have a power steering cooler? I would take the houses outside before you pay for them, and compare them to the old ones. If you have a cooler, you might consider putting a different cooler in, because when the stock one fails, it mixes coolant with power steering fluid.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah I think I do have a cooler.. if not I'd require one hose right? Otherwise how would i check of I have a cooler or not?.. Come tomorrow I'll play with the hoses with my hands. If they squeeze in too much than I'll think serious about replacing them. If not I'll probably keep it as is. The hoses I require apparently would cost me 60 at checker!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The P/S cooler is the aluminum tube mounted in the upper radiator hose. These have been known to fail. I replaced mine with a tube and fin style cooler mounted on the front of the K-member. The upper hose is then the same as a Camaro - one single piece, rather than the two piece Trans Am setup.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

$60 is better than a breakdown if the 10 year old hoses fail. If you squeeze the hose, when the engine is cold, and you feel brittleness inside the hose, then they need to be changed ASAP. If they feel really squishy, again ASAP. If they still have a lot of flexability and firmness, you should be ok. (I still have my OE hoses) Gates and other hose manufacturers say to change them every 4-5 years, but they also have a reason to say that.

Your WS6 should have the PS cooler on the upper radiator hose, look for a metal piece with 3/8'' hoses attached at the bottom of that. I'm thinking you could get a hose for a non-WS6 and it should go in place of the PS cooler assemby. (I still have the OE PS cooler and I'm getting a bit scared of it failing!)

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I've never heard of the failed P/S cooler thing before, But with the way my cars been acting lately maybe I should feel freaked :S it sounds costly to fix though!

I got a chance to play with the hoses today, if i'm not mistaken its 2 half U shaped hoses. Anywhere they were very very very squishy so Looks like i'm about to fork out some extra cash! Are those the only 2 hoses I need to worry about? Is there anything else I'm missing? you've all been a great help.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I think there are three. If you have the power steering cooler(which you should have), those two are for the upper section. You still are missing the lower hose. This is the one that connects to the thermostat.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There are also heater hoses and throttle body hoses, which by the year of your car are 10 plus years old now. Not a bad idea to change it all out.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sorry it takes me so long to respond gents. az gt's right I was told that there are 3 hoses overall. There's two half shaped U hoses and one near the bottom that goes straight, down, straight than left, straight than right into the Radiator. If that makes sense I played with the hoses at the shop and to be honest my current ones didn't feel any different than the new ones I played with at the store. Mine were a bit dirty, but overall they felt the same. I'll replace them though anyway though just in case. Do you guys think I need new clamps too?

Pajeff, I'm thinkin about replacing other hoses when the parts they connect to need a change or repair..

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    I'll replace them though anyway though just in case. Pajeff, I'm thinkin about replacing other hoses when the parts they connect to need a change or repair..
    Good man on both of these points. Clamps should be fine. They have to be corroded extensively, or mangled to not be servicable anymore.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I always service the entire cooling system in one shot -- which means replacing every hose. If you leave some of the original hoses in place, just keep an eye on them. I have been to AZ -- there is a whole lot of nothing between cities it seems. Not a place I'd want to suffer a catastrophic loss of coolant.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sounds good, thanks

Absolutely, preventative maintenance seems to be a requirement for our Fbodies. I only stay in the general Phoenix area so I think i'll be okay; unless AAA decides not to be speedy. Aren't the 3 hoses that i'm talking about the only 3 i'll be touching for the flush?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Upper hose is two piece, lower hose, crossover tube to throttle body, throttle body to radiator, heater inlet and outlet hose assemblies, and then there is an overflow hose as well. That should be all of them.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

All that I'll be playing with to do the flush?? Seems like a lot lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information