Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Radiator leak,,

This is a discussion on Radiator leak,, within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I also chased unknown leak for a year or longer. Had the car for 5 yrs when low water light ...

red black
    98Z28

I also chased unknown leak for a year or longer. Had the car for 5 yrs when low water light comes on. Was down a bit so added to system, good for five months and then low water light again. Noticed wet around fender well and suspected overflow leak. Filled again good for 5 or 6 months again and low water light. Pulled in to a local rad shop and while talking to the guy, the owner comes out and says "First thing I would do is change the rad cap as it looks to be orginal equipment. 10 yrs old" Sure enough spring was bad and when the rad got up to pressure was sending coolent to overflow enough to blow out . Changed the cap and two days later found my water pump leak. Can't complain about a car with 240,000 miles got it with 85,000 and one plug and wire change and 1 new battery. If I could only get the fuel pump to stay quiet. Oh has all the usual noises, sounds like a bucket of bolts in the back seat. Thats what the cd player is for. Wait I digress did have to do drivers side window motor and pass is slow. Like a Timex........

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Don't water pumps usually start squealing when they are on their way out?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Don't water pumps usually start squealing when they are on their way out?
    I always thought so, but I've had at least two that didn't.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 89RS&98Z28 View Post
    I also chased unknown leak for a year or longer. Had the car for 5 yrs when low water light comes on. Was down a bit so added to system, good for five months and then low water light again. Noticed wet around fender well and suspected overflow leak. Filled again good for 5 or 6 months again and low water light. Pulled in to a local rad shop and while talking to the guy, the owner comes out and says "First thing I would do is change the rad cap as it looks to be orginal equipment. 10 yrs old" Sure enough spring was bad and when the rad got up to pressure was sending coolent to overflow enough to blow out . Changed the cap and two days later found my water pump leak. Can't complain about a car with 240,000 miles got it with 85,000 and one plug and wire change and 1 new battery. If I could only get the fuel pump to stay quiet. Oh has all the usual noises, sounds like a bucket of bolts in the back seat. Thats what the cd player is for. Wait I digress did have to do drivers side window motor and pass is slow. Like a Timex........
    Same here I had a low coolant level and it was the cap. Put 1oz of TCW3 marine stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas in your tank. Sarge researched this and it actually benefits the fuel pump and fuel systems and is cheap.

Read if you haven't: Been testing Oil

silver
    2000 formula

LT1 rad install in pics

^^^ LT1 rad install link

i found out today that my yr old lifetime water pump is leaking .......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 01-27-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I checked the tb bypass. That's not the problem. The hose is hitting the pulley. But us not leaking.
    I dnt think is the water pump since it was changed bout a year ago.
    I checked that and is not leaking either.
    I checked the hoses they are fine
    The reservoir hose has some coolant on the end that goes to the radiator. But I dnt think that's the problem either.
    I saw some antifrezz on the passenger side where the radiator is sitting. So i think the problem is the radiator. The strange thong is that never leaks when is running. Only when it's cold.
    My moms van dis the samething. For like 3 weeks. And when I turned off the engine.all the water cane out of the radiator
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    LT1 rad install in pics

^^^ LT1 rad install link

i found out today that my yr old lifetime water pump is leaking .......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    That sux bro. Feel your pain. On my old z I had to replace my radiator times in 3 months.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like you may have a small crack or the tank seal to the core is failing. When it is warm things expand and tighten up... that may be why it only leaks cold.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Dont buy used!! The plastic tanks get brittle and a used rad is typically gunked up. Also the cooling fins get clogged with stones and leaves. I never ever skimp on the cooling system.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sounds like you may have a small crack or the tank seal to the core is failing. When it is warm things expand and tighten up... that may be why it only leaks cold.
    I see. Thanks for the help,
    Where could I buy a new radiator?
    I checked on some places abs they have the same radiator for 93-02 and I'm triying to the LT1 radiator.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Dont buy used!! The plastic tanks get brittle and a used rad is typically gunked up. Also the cooling fins get clogged with stones and leaves. I never ever skimp on the cooling system.
    I think I'll just go for a new one. That way I avoid any kind of problems.
    And I do not want to change the radiator few thousand miles later.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Last time I had to replace a radiator was years ago. Tossed in an Autozone special and it worked just fine for the 2 years I kept the car.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Last time I had to replace a radiator was years ago. Tossed in an Autozone special and it worked just fine for the 2 years I kept the car.
    Ok. Thanks for the help jeff, I'll go check out the prices and see how it goes.

One thing I noticed on the aftermarke radiators.
    On the drivers side on the bottom of the radiator. There's another outlet for a hose, my car dnt have that. Anyone knows how can I seal that?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the help jeff, I'll go check out the prices and see how it goes.

One thing I noticed on the aftermarke radiators.
    On the drivers side on the bottom of the radiator. There's another outlet for a hose, my car dnt have that. Anyone knows how can I seal that?

Before leaving the parts store, obtain a 4-6" piece of hose (5/8" maybe) and some sort of cut off/cap end to clamp on the fitting. That's what I did over four years ago....no issues. Just tell the guys in the store what you need to do. That fitting isn't used on manual cars.
    Last edited by jad628; 02-01-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information