Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are Radar Detectors illegal

This is a discussion on Are Radar Detectors illegal within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by HB of CJ Constitutionally speaking (USA) they should be completely legal. Problem is that when you submit ...

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
    Constitutionally speaking (USA) they should be completely legal. Problem is that when you submit to a driver's license, tags, plates, insurance, etc., you have voluntarily given up your constitutional guarantees and have entered the corporate law region that governs soss much of our daily lives. Bottom line is that the several states have no legal standing, but pass all sorts of rules that we have aggreed to aggree to. Prohibiting radar/laser/lidar detectors is one of them. Of course, practically speaking, you have to be caught. He he he.

Just curious where that is in the constitution?

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    I have no clue. my cobra (150 dollars from wallmart) picks up cope miles away.
    Is that Derrick ?
    Last edited by fxgs; 04-15-2008 at 02:42 PM.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

I thought that most of your late model higher end radar detectors had whats called VG II protection to keep cops from knowing you have a radar working , no ?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    I thought that most of your late model higher end radar detectors had whats called VG II protection to keep cops from knowing you have a radar working , no ?
    Correct. Almost all newer model radar detectors are immune to the VG-II detector-detector

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

Where in the Constitution? The right of Liberty. Having government prohibit radar/lidar detectors is like banning radio receivers. Kinda like the right to a suntan from sunlight which the radio frequency spectrum is a small part off. Thanks.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    They now have laser blockers/jammers that actually work as advertised.

Check these out:

http://www.radarbusters.com/laser-jammers/6524+6527.cfm

The Blinder M25 is 100% effective against laser guns.
    I am aware of laser jammers. I should have been more specific in saying laser detectors. All jammers are very illegal.

ps. I took my cousin out for a ride last night and there were a ton of cops out. I was picking up the K band every couple mins and it was always a cop. Many times picking them up around a corner and about a 1/4 to 1/8 mile in advance. She was a little amazed and wants one now.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by oo7steven View Post
    I am aware of laser jammers. I should have been more specific in saying laser detectors. All jammers are very illegal.

ps. I took my cousin out for a ride last night and there were a ton of cops out. I was picking up the K band every couple mins and it was always a cop. Many times picking them up around a corner and about a 1/4 to 1/8 mile in advance. She was a little amazed and wants one now.
    Radar jammers are illegal.

Laser Jammers are not illegal. Laser is regulated by the FDA instead of the FCC, and the FDA couldn't care less if you block a laser signal. It doesn't affect air traffic or emergency vehicles like radar jammers do, no harm no foul.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Received a letter from Passport Radar Detector's the other day about some south Louisiana Senator trying to pass a law outlawing all radar detectors in La. except any & all State Agencies & politicians . So many citizens wrote letters , & called and e-mailed complaints they decide to amend the bill to justRADAR jammers . Seems the State Police were complaining that every time they tried to use their RADAR & someone hit em with the jamming device it would screw-up their revenue generating laser and they would have to stop & drive back in to have them calibrated again .
    Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 05-02-2008 at 09:16 AM.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    As far as I'm aware they are legal all through out Canada, if they are illegal any where, I doubt you would be pulled over for having it unless the cop pulled up beside you at alight or something or saw it when the busted you for speeding.
    there NOT legal in ontario!!!!! when crossing the border i forgot to take it down and border patrol warned me and said its a 1000 dollar fine if a cop pulled me over with it up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information