Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

racetronix fuel pump whinning

Hi all. i have a question for those that have the racetronix fuel pump kit. I installed mine like 2 weeks ago and it has been fine. Today I drove alot around town and when I got out of the car to check something I can hear the fuel pump whinning. The fuel level is half tank. This is the same noise that I had with the stock pump and I was told by other members that the pump was starting to go bad. It only happens when I drive around for long periods of time (1 hr or more). If I take the fuel cap off i can hear the noise inside the tank.

Is this noise normal with the walbro pumps if they get hot? or am I having an issue? I email racetronix to get some advise on it but I wanted to see if anyone can shine a light on the issue. Thanks.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have never heard one that changed pitch or got louder. Did you use their harness or a larger supply wire (vs. stock wiring)?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Hi Frost. Yes I bought the wirng harness upgrade that they sell. i got an email from Racetronix saying that it is normal for them to whine after the fuel gets warm or when the fuel level is low. They also told me to replace the fuel filter if I haven't done it, which I haven't. They explained that if the fuel filter is clogging up it requires the pump to work harder...

That's exactly the same noise with my old one. So now I'm kinda thinking if I can trust this pump to not let me down... I'm going to order an extra pump and keep it as a spare in case anything happens. They don't offer any warranty on the pumps since walbro stop doing it which it kinda blows.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-12-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Thread Information