Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Quicker Throttle Response Time

This is a discussion on Quicker Throttle Response Time within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So, anyone have any idea's where I can start getting a quicker throttle response. There always seems to be a ...

  1. #1
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    Quicker Throttle Response Time

    So, anyone have any idea's where I can start getting a quicker throttle response. There always seems to be a short delay between the petal and the response. How can I make that quicker?

    Mods:
    SLP Lid
    BBK LTH's and ORY
    SLP LM2
    EGR and AIR Delete
    Frost Tuned
    Last edited by bhunter0830; 08-15-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Added Completed Mods

  2. #2
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Could be 2 things.

    Check to make sure the throttle cable is in the proper place and has not to much slack.

    Also the spring on the throttle body that controls the tension on the blade. Look it over, make sure no binding or excessive play. It's a part that can over time weaken. I'm not sure where you could get it fix, but I'm sure there are kits out there to rebuild a TB.


    Other then those 2 only thing I can think of is tuning. Are you still on a stock tune?

  3. #3
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    No, it has been tuned by frost. I am using the stock TB. I pulled the intake out and cleaned it, replaced the seals and also cleaned the TB due to the amount of build up on it due to the PCV system failure and ingesting oil. The response is much quicker than it was stock. I don't believe there is any slack in the throttle cable. It has progressively gotten better after cleaning and the tune. I think it's just time to add some more mods to it. I am still running the stock TB, could a bigger TB improve that?

  4. #4
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Just a thought: do you use fuel system cleaner?

  5. #5
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I'd also clean your MAF since you didn't mention that. Use CRC MAF cleaner.
    It's on jackstands.

  6. #6
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter0830 View Post
    No, it has been tuned by frost. I am using the stock TB. I pulled the intake out and cleaned it, replaced the seals and also cleaned the TB due to the amount of build up on it due to the PCV system failure and ingesting oil. The response is much quicker than it was stock. I don't believe there is any slack in the throttle cable. It has progressively gotten better after cleaning and the tune. I think it's just time to add some more mods to it. I am still running the stock TB, could a bigger TB improve that?
    I take you are using the stock LS1 intake, you didn't list it in your mods.

    Going up to a LS6 intake would help.

    P&P OEM TB vs BBK 85mm TB =

    I'm currently running a S2 P&P TB - Looks stock on the outside however the inside has been ported and polished along with a couple of other tweaks it performs very well and only cost around $150. Orion pointed me to this TB and have like it since.


    The BBK 85mm - Nice piece however cost almost double of the one I'm running for just a 1-2 HP gain.


    Now if you are really wanting a boast to performance look for a used FAST 90/90 or look to dropping serious coin for a FAST 102 intake. Combine it with either their 102 TB or a Nick Williams 102 TB (a little cheaper and works just as well). Besides the cost for those items a tune will be needed as well.

    Other then H/C - which is another topic and more discussion, not much other stuff you can do.

  7. #7
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Just a thought: do you use fuel system cleaner?
    I have not, any suggestions on brand?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'd also clean your MAF since you didn't mention that. Use CRC MAF cleaner.
    I did clean the MAF with the CRC MAF cleaner. I should have mentioned that. Thanks!

  8. #8
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I take you are using the stock LS1 intake, you didn't list it in your mods.

    Going up to a LS6 intake would help.

    P&P OEM TB vs BBK 85mm TB =

    I'm currently running a S2 P&P TB - Looks stock on the outside however the inside has been ported and polished along with a couple of other tweaks it performs very well and only cost around $150. Orion pointed me to this TB and have like it since.


    The BBK 85mm - Nice piece however cost almost double of the one I'm running for just a 1-2 HP gain.


    Now if you are really wanting a boast to performance look for a used FAST 90/90 or look to dropping serious coin for a FAST 102 intake. Combine it with either their 102 TB or a Nick Williams 102 TB (a little cheaper and works just as well). Besides the cost for those items a tune will be needed as well.

    Other then H/C - which is another topic and more discussion, not much other stuff you can do.
    That is correct, I am running the stock LS1 Intake. Looks like I will be adding a P&P TB and an LS6 Intake along with the changed to the PCV system (Catch Can Addition) since I'll be in there. If I am going to have all of that apart, has anyone come across any additional issues with a cam swap? I know I should probably changed my lifters and springs if I am doing that. If I have the intake off I might as well keep it off and do the other work to it as well. Correct? Anything else I should be concerned with for doing a cam swap?

  9. #9
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    Incase anyone wanted to see what I was working with, this is what the TB looked like before I cleaned up the ingested oil.

  10. #10
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Yep another great example on GM stupid idea of a PCV system. Sorry I'm not a fan of it, if you can't tell. I switch mine over to the LS6 valley cover tray and also use a catch can. No more issues like this.





    Your question about cam swap - this is an area you need to research very well before buying stuff. Make sure you know what you want and need in order to make it work and perform correctly. Some cams require stronger push rods and lifters as well as valve springs. Not all cams work well with stock heads. You have 241's I believe. Most guys will do a heads swap at the same time because you have to get a tune for either one. Just smart to do it that way.


    Other items you need to seriously consider upgrading while you have the timing cover off - LS2 timing chain and LS6 oil pump or a high flow equivalent. Look at it this way - the stock items I just mention have both been on since it rolled of the line, the chain needs to be upgraded for what the cam will throw at it and upgrading to the LS6 oil pump is very much needed. Better flow and volume.

    Some other things to0 - replace the knock sensors and have a OPSU on hand. The KS are most likely due to be replaced and the OPSU - almost every first timer that has taken the intake off breaks the OPSU. It sits just behind the intake on the drivers side and after yrs of heat cycles it's a frog breath away from cracking or breaking off completely.

    I'm sure there are other things to consider that I'm leaving off. You have any questions just ask, someone here will try to help and answer them.

  11. #11
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yep another great example on GM stupid idea of a PCV system. Sorry I'm not a fan of it, if you can't tell. I switch mine over to the LS6 valley cover tray and also use a catch can. No more issues like this.





    Your question about cam swap - this is an area you need to research very well before buying stuff. Make sure you know what you want and need in order to make it work and perform correctly. Some cams require stronger push rods and lifters as well as valve springs. Not all cams work well with stock heads. You have 241's I believe. Most guys will do a heads swap at the same time because you have to get a tune for either one. Just smart to do it that way.


    Other items you need to seriously consider upgrading while you have the timing cover off - LS2 timing chain and LS6 oil pump or a high flow equivalent. Look at it this way - the stock items I just mention have both been on since it rolled of the line, the chain needs to be upgraded for what the cam will throw at it and upgrading to the LS6 oil pump is very much needed. Better flow and volume.

    Some other things to0 - replace the knock sensors and have a OPSU on hand. The KS are most likely due to be replaced and the OPSU - almost every first timer that has taken the intake off breaks the OPSU. It sits just behind the intake on the drivers side and after yrs of heat cycles it's a frog breath away from cracking or breaking off completely.

    I'm sure there are other things to consider that I'm leaving off. You have any questions just ask, someone here will try to help and answer them.
    I am fully aware of the OPSU and replacement of the KS. I did that all when I replaced the intake seals and clean up of the intake and valley cover after the PVC crap.

    Good to know about the heads, valve springs and push rods. I was intending on doing the valve springs and push rods with the cam. I didn't think about the timing and oil pump. This is great stuff. I am making a winter list for when the season is over! I am sure I'll be asking for more help! Thanks again!

  12. #12
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter0830 View Post
    I have not, any suggestions on brand?

    - - - Updated - - -



    I did clean the MAF with the CRC MAF cleaner. I should have mentioned that. Thanks!
    Not trying to scold you but im suprised you dont use fuel system cleaners???...But
    Good fuel system cleaners imo ( youll get different opinions im sure !) are> Chevron Techron..Seafoam...STP (makes a new one that claims to be better then the ones i mentioned) .

  13. #13
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter0830 View Post
    Incase anyone wanted to see what I was working with, this is what the TB looked like before I cleaned up the ingested oil. Click for full size
    JESUS!!! Never seen one THAT gucky !

  14. #14
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I take you are using the stock LS1 intake, you didn't list it in your mods.

    Going up to a LS6 intake would help.

    P&P OEM TB vs BBK 85mm TB =

    I'm currently running a S2 P&P TB - Looks stock on the outside however the inside has been ported and polished along with a couple of other tweaks it performs very well and only cost around $150. Orion pointed me to this TB and have like it since.


    The BBK 85mm - Nice piece however cost almost double of the one I'm running for just a 1-2 HP gain.


    Now if you are really wanting a boast to performance look for a used FAST 90/90 or look to dropping serious coin for a FAST 102 intake. Combine it with either their 102 TB or a Nick Williams 102 TB (a little cheaper and works just as well). Besides the cost for those items a tune will be needed as well.

    Other then H/C - which is another topic and more discussion, not much other stuff you can do.
    Scott were did you purchase that TB?,,,or did you send it out to be pp?

  15. #15
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    Techron is the best cleaner I have used. Lucas is not bad either. You can buy a big bottle of lucas and use a little every fill or evey other fill. Over time that will save you alot of money.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

  16. #16
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fishers (Indianapols), IN
    Posts
    475
    On the hunt

    Any suggestions on manufactures of oil pumps?

  17. #17
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Techron is the best cleaner I have used. Lucas is not bad either. You can buy a big bottle of lucas and use a little every fill or evey other fill. Over time that will save you alot of money.
    Yeah Keith..I ran a Chevron station with my pops for years and i remember when it came out that other car manufacturers like BMW.GM,Mercedes etc. suggested use of Techron in their vehicles. I always used it in my previous cars(Monte Carlo,Chevelle,Datsun 280Z) along with Chevron supreme gas!! and even though i have no stake in Chevron anymore i still stand by their products...never had problem one with fuel or clogged injectors etc......and when customers came to me with hesitation problems, funky idles,slight knocks or performance issue i had them do a large bottle followed with a Supreme fill up and then another after the first tank was gone..I cant count on how many came back and were very pleased with my suggestion.
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-15-2012 at 11:45 PM.

  18. #18
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Yeah Keith..I ran a Chevron station with my pops for years and i remember when it came out that other car manufacturers like BMW.GM,Mercedes etc. suggested use of Techron in their vehicles. I always used it in my previous cars(Monte Carlo,Chevelle,Datsun 280Z) along with Chevron supreme gas!! and even though i have no stake in Chevron anymore i still stand by their products...never had problem one with fuel or clogged injectors etc......and when customers came to me with hesitation problems, funky idles,slight knocks or performance issue i had them do a large bottle followed with a Supreme fill up and then another after the first tank was gone..I cant count on how many came back and were very pleased with my suggestion.
    I wish we had Chevron in New Jersey. I use Techron all the time. On our family trips to Florida and North Carolina I would drive out of my way to fill up at a Chevron station.

  19. #19
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Scott were did you purchase that TB?,,,or did you send it out to be pp?
    PM sent

  20. #20
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    PM received,,,,,,, Thanks.
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-16-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Half throttle+ causes violent throttle response
    By AKIRA in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM
  2. No power, no throttle response
    By Dave-TransAm in forum V6
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 03:17 AM
  3. throttle response
    By griftymcgrift in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
  4. How to get quicker throttle response?
    By Whiteboycntdnce in forum General Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 12:02 PM
  5. throttle response problem..
    By one01ss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •