Thread: Quick Question

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Cool Quick Question

Hey, I have been using full synthetic oil for the past 30k on my car, I'm about to store my car for the winter and wanna get an oil change before hand,and was wondering if it would hurt to use regular oil this one time before I store it, I could really use the extra cash, cant really afford to buy 6 quarts of the spendy oil I have been using! Thanks - Jason

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

FYI one of my friends told me not to use regular after using synthetic for so long, I never heard of that before, but I thought I better check up on here if that was true or not for the heck of it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 1 RedHot TransAm View Post
    FYI one of my friends told me not to use regular after using synthetic for so long, I never heard of that before, but I thought I better check up on here if that was true or not for the heck of it.
    It's not a problem to switch between the two, at least I have never heard of that. What synthetic oil do you get, I would personally stick with it? 6 quarts of pennzoil platinum synthetic or w/e it is called is only $30-40 where I live.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

I usually use ams oil, what sucks is I gotta store it today and I also gotta pay the lady that is letting me store the car at her place as well today. It really is'nt good money wise the way my pay period falls this week, it may not seem like alot but a few extra dollars will help.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

You can't go back to it in a couple weeks and do the oil change then?

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Will it matter before going into storage? I know synthetic advertises that it clings better and therefore has more protection on startup. But will it cling for the entire winter? Or is whatever oil he puts in there just going to settle anyway?

Even with a few regular startups during the winter, will it matter if the oil is at the end of it's cycle for such short durations? Or is it important to change it before going in? Maybe he can hold off til spring? I've never had to store a car, not sure what best practices are...

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've had to store cars when I went out on deployments, longest storage was for ~1yr. From my understanding, the reason for the fresh oil is to avoid condensation inside the pan. Also why you should store them with a full tank of fuel (fuel stabilizer only if storing over 6 months.) Over 1 year of storage, drain all fluids.

If the car will be kept in a constant temp environment, condensation won't be an issue. And you could easily get away with changing the oil right after you take it out.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    I've had to store cars when I went out on deployments, longest storage was for ~1yr. From my understanding, the reason for the fresh oil is to avoid condensation inside the pan. Also why you should store them with a full tank of fuel (fuel stabilizer only if storing over 6 months.) Over 1 year of storage, drain all fluids.

If the car will be kept in a constant temp environment, condensation won't be an issue. And you could easily get away with changing the oil right after you take it out.
    Aha now that you jog my old man memory, I believe I have heard that before as well...

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

I'm just gonna go ahead with the regular, from what I have read on all the oil brand company websites, useing regular after synthetic and it damaging your car is a myth. But ya I have always changed the oil before storage, it just "feels good" and gives me a piece of mind that its all fresh and topped off for the long winter.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by 1 RedHot TransAm View Post
    I'm just gonna go ahead with the regular, from what I have read on all the oil brand company websites, useing regular after synthetic and it damaging your car is a myth. But ya I have always changed the oil before storage, it just "feels good" and gives me a piece of mind that its all fresh and topped off for the long winter.
    Can't argue with that. Better too much care than not enough...

Thread Information