NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Questions after longtube install.

Just put a set of pacesetters on my 01 TA and theres a couple thing I want to know. Since I dont have emission hookups for these being they are offroad, do I need to buy plates to cover the 2 EGR (atleast I think thats what it is) pieces that used to attach to the stock manifold?

Also, the car seems to be running like crap and I dont know if its because I dont have those plates yet or what. When I start the car it sounds good for a minute or 2 then it begins to lower its idling RPM to like 250 and just sounds like crap. my SES light is on which I was expecting. I plan on getting a tune in the next week or 2 and wont be driving the car until then. So my question is this related to not having the plates? I tried plugging the 2 things w/ my fingers and it still sounds bad so I dont know.

I changed the spark plugs while I was into the project and also got a set of wires.

You don't have EGR so I'm thinking you're talking about AIR. Do your headers have AIR provisions - if they do you need to block them off if you deleted it. Did you delete cats too? Both will throw codes. Might not be understanding you here, if it's the headers don't know how you'd be able to plug them with your fingers? Know someone with a scanner that can come over and read the codes?

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yea, I just figured out it was AIR too. I dont have cats, I have the offroad y-pipe and longtube headers. I got 2 o2 simulators for the rear 02 sensors and the front 2 went into the header. When I took off my stock manifolds I removed the AIR thing that went to them. Now they are just sitting there so i assume I can just remove them completely? by pulling out the rubber hose and all that?

OK, sounds like you just need to do !AIR and have the codes deleted: http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Alright, thats what I figured and im in the process of doing it, I take it this wouldnt have anything to do w/ the idling problem I have.

!AIR won't affect ldle, but an exhaust leak near 02's or any unmetered air will. Give the PCM a little time to relearn too, especially if you disconnected the battery.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I didnt disconnect the battery. I guess i'll just have to see what happens maybe it will fix itself.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I drove it for a little bit last night to see what happened and it isnt just an idle problem. It seems to have a long throttle response and when im driving it stalls occasionaly. My Y-pipe is hitting the floorboard which im plan on fixing today. Anyone have a guess as to why it runs like crap?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The fact it runs ok when cold then goes to shit after a couple of minutes makes me think you have your O2's hooked up wrong. The O2's in your headers should connect to the harness above/slighty in front of the K-member and not the ones back by the tranny. That might not be it at all but it sure sounds like it. Let me ask you this. Did you have to use your extensions for your O2's? If the answer is no then more than likely you have them hooked up to the rears.
    edit:
    I just reread the post and saw you did sims. Maybe I'm wrong but it's worth checking out if you're not completely sure you have the O2's hooked up right. It sounds like your car idles fine until it goes to closed loop and then uses the O2's for fueling.
    Last edited by 0rion; 07-02-2006 at 11:05 PM.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The fact it runs ok when cold then goes to shit after a couple of minutes makes me think you have your O2's hooked up wrong. The O2's in your headers should connect to the harness above/slighty in front of the K-member and not the ones back by the tranny. That might not be it at all but it sure sounds like it. Let me ask you this. Did you have to use your extensions for your O2's? If the answer is no then more than likely you have them hooked up to the rears.
    edit:
    I just reread the post and saw you did sims. Maybe I'm wrong but it's worth checking out if you're not completely sure you have the O2's hooked up right. It sounds like your car idles fine until it goes to closed loop and then uses the O2's for fueling.
    You were 100% right, I figured that out today I looked and saw the rear 02 sensors were long enough so those should be the ones, but I read the instructions that came w/ the simulator and it said they should be on the rear, so im gonna try and get the 02 extensions tomorrow. Thanks for the help though.

Grilled Cheese rocks!!!!! slo4mula's Avatar

GM Bright Red
    2000 Formula

There is a fuse for the engine sensor in the engine compartment. Exactly what you are describing happened to me when I installed my headers. This sensor blew and it caused major havoc. I, however, am an idiot and didn't figure this out for weeks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
    You were 100% right, I figured that out today I looked and saw the rear 02 sensors were long enough so those should be the ones, but I read the instructions that came w/ the simulator and it said they should be on the rear, so im gonna try and get the 02 extensions tomorrow. Thanks for the help though.
    I think we're having a communication breakdown. The sims should plug into the rear harness' back by the tranny without extensions. The front O2's in the headers should plug into the harness' above the K-member. You need extensions to reach from the header O2's to the harness' above the k-member. The front O2's are really the only ones I'm concerned with. The rears do nothing except keep tabs on your cats. The pcm uses the front O2's to determine fueling in closed loop. If your front O2's are hooked up correctly then it's not a matter of them being switched. Hopefully that clears it up a little.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yea, I knew what you meant I just must not have said it right. Everything cool now, Im gonna be buying some extensions in the next day or 2 and then go in for a tune. Thanks for the help

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Cool, hope that fixes you all up then. It's pretty easy to plug those in wrong and I've read where many people have done it before. It seems to be a plague with vette drivers especially. I see a lot of those guys doing it. Even without a tune your car should run pretty decent with just a header swap. Nothing that you would notice being wrong. You just won't be taking advantage of some extra horses by not having a a tune.

Thread Information