Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Questions about a tune by frost

This is a discussion on Questions about a tune by frost within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 In the FAQs he said he won't do it because too many people damaged the loaners ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    In the FAQs he said he won't do it because too many people damaged the loaners or something
    that's a shame.....hard to believe people would do that to him as helpful as he is to people. Wonder if it was intentional or people accidentally messing them up? Hopefully the later of the 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Doesn't surprise me I guess.
    It's on jackstands.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, people suck :/ so is a used PCM sellable? I'd rather not ship mine and risk losing it or something..
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Send it insured by ups. Yes it still may get lost or damaged, but at least they will pay for a new one. Frost def has a super fast turnaround time of like 2 days. Send the pcm out on thurs and you will have it back by monday.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's a shame.....hard to believe people would do that to him as helpful as he is to people. Wonder if it was intentional or people accidentally messing them up? Hopefully the later of the 2.
    I would bet money it's your first guess, since I would think he would have had to receive ALOT of bad PCM's to make him think he needed to cancel that service, and I don't think that many PCM's go bad on their own.

Too bad though, it ruins it for the rest of us honest people.

Another vote for Frost. I wouldn't hesitate to mail my PCM to him.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Well, here's how I figure it:

The fastest cheapest shipping method is USPS Priority mail express. Considering i'm in Arizona and Frost is as east as can get, Shipping time would take quite awhile if I did normal Priority mailing (which is like 17 bucks). No sunday shipping, and no saturday either I think..or was that just for envelopes?

Priority mail express is 45 bucks one way. 45 X 2 is $90. Frost is selling PCMs for my car for $105. Is the 15 bucks worth the inconvenience of sending my pcm in is the question. I could do Priority mailing, $17 X 2 is $34 bucks.

But I'm asking if I can sell my PCM.. Because 105 - 34 = $71, and If i can sell my current PCM for even half of that, i'm fine with spending 30 or 40 more to avoid the inconvenience of being car-less

haha too much thought I know.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I think that price is just for the ECM with default factory tune not including his tune.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Your right, its 105 for the pcm plus 150 for the tune, so 250 overall. Either way i'm gonna be out a few good dollars :P

Sounds like you are in a dilema about either shipping it or having your car down for a few days.

If that's the case, I'd swing over to Nic's and have him tune it, or there are a couple others around Phoenix that tune as well.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    sounds like you may have solved your problem. Someone has tinkered with the shift points I bet and didn't know what they were doing. Sounds like you're a good candidate for a frost tune. Steve is usually pretty darn busy but he takes care of people and you only have to ask people that have used him to see that people are extremely happy with his tunes and his service. I would put my reputation on him and not think twice about it. Not many people out there I would do that for either.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

My wife works in the USPS and your looking at 3days one way 24/48 turn around so aprox. 5 days so far and 3 back. Mail does move on Saturday's not Sunday. If you sent it on a Saturday you should see it the following Monday. Maybe Saturday if your lucky. It will fit in a medium Flat Rate box with bubble wrap that is something like $13.45. I sent mine on a Monday and had it back in the car Thursday afternoon not as far shipping but extremely fast turn around. If you are thinking of shipping it I would wait a week or so the south and north east is just about to get slammed with winter storm so the mail and everything is going to slow down

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Excellent advice, thank you!

Do remember that I'm mainly doing this for the purpose of passing emissions; disabling my P0420 Check engine code so I can get renewed registration.

my tags expire THIS MONTH, so I need to get this done near asap. That's mainly where my dilemma lies; send in my PCM and risk being car-less for awhile (especially for winter storms), or pay extra to get a fresh PCM with the custom tune; both of which preferably to be done this month.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I say ship it asap and bite the bullet on the cost. The more debating you do, the less time you have to finish up and your gonna be past due with emissions if you post pone any longer. Then you stuck with a penalty from the emission freaks.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I bought one from him and had it tuned. But then again the seals on my old one went bad and water got in it. Was able to fix it but it is a backup in case I need it and I dont have yo worry about any long lasting effects of the water that got in my old one. Plus my car is a daily driver and it was worth not having to worry about what if it didnt make it back in time.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You're right, you're right. Just seeing my baby out of commission is a hard thing to think about. I love that car. Hahaha

Raynor that sounds like a good idea, I'll take my current one out and see how it looks

From the discussions you and Orion were having on the first page, and the fact that you found a "hypertech" sticker on the car, it sounds as though it's been tuned with a handheld at some point and that tune may still be in there.
    If you weren't aware of this, then does that mean you no longer have the handheld used for that in your possession??

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure those handhelds lock the tune in and it can't be viewed or changed through HPtuners or any other software program run through a laptop. You'll need that specific Hypertech that was used on your car to remove the tune and reinstall the stock tune that was stored in it,,,,that particular Hypertech is married to that computer in your car. That was my experience with Hyptertech many years back.

With that said, it may render that computer in your car useless to a tuner if they can't access the tuning, which may force you to buy a computer from Frost anyway.

Orion?? Thoughts??

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Interesting.. I wasnt given a handheld tuner when I bought the car. It was hard considering anything when I bought it off a small dealership from eBay.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

As far as i know the pcm isnt locked by the hypertech but the tuner itself is married to the car if any part of the tune is left in so the handheld itself is useless but i'm pretty sure the car's pcm isnt locked.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

So your saying that in this case he could still have a tuner overwrite the Hypertech tune....correct?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

A hypertech tuner cost 400 (Edit: Sorry, 500 for my year actually) for gm cars. Frost would be way cheaper. Plus a tuner couldn't do my primary purpose for getting a tune in the first place. lol

But I want to be %100 sure the pcm isn't locked before I ship mine out there..
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 02-12-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-22-2015, 07:28 PM

Thread Information