2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Questions about putting a LQ4 in my 02 WS6

Here's the deal, my LS1 engine is toast. Bent a bunch of rods after getting caught in a flood. This is a my daily driver and I need my car back. As such, I live in Oklahoma, not alot of cheap options for me (everyone that is selling an LS1 engine thinks they are plated in gold) and I am living pay check to paycheck and have a 15 year old girl. SO....

I ran across a guy that has a 6.0 from a 2000 HD2500 Truck. This has already mildly been discussed in AAG and it was determined this is a LQ4. This thing is ridiculously cheap BUT the dude keeps telling me that this WILL NOT work in my 6 speed car because the recultor wheel teeth are the wrong ones. He said if I had an automatic car it would be different. So here are all my questions:

1. What is a recultor convertor? Do I need one?
    2. Do I keep the LQ4 heads or use my nice redone LS1 heads? EDIT: Nevermind on this one, found the answer. In a different 6.0 swap thread.
    3. What will swap over?
    4. What will not swap over and what would I need to purchase?
    5. Will my headers work?
    6. Will I need a new wiring harness or just a couple of set of extenders for a few odds and ends?

Can you guys please put this in as simple English for me? lol. I have over searched my brain today and things are just running together. I am trying to get clear and concise opinions and answers. If this is something that I can acheive, I think I will contribute a thread about it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jrbonds; 09-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jodi, I sent you a pm

SMWS6TA wanted me to give you a shout.

The 6.0 is a pretty simple swap.

To address the reluctor wheel, GM didn't go to the 58x reluctor wheel until Sept of 2005, so anything previous to that will have the 24x reluctor wheel, including your 2000 6.0 in question.

In 2000 the LQ4 had cast iron heads. So yes I would swap over your freshly done LS1 heads, it will give this 9.4:1 compression engine a nice bump in compression (closer to 10:1) with your tighter combustion chambers. 67cc vs. 71cc
    So that puts you ahead of the game.

Headers will work fine.

Swap over all of your LS1 accessory drive system as well as the oil pan and pickup tube.

The only big issues you run into are the knock sensors and the cam sensor. Depending on the years (and my memory is fuzzy here) But on the 6.0 the knock sensors and cam sensor was relocated to the side of the block.
    It's an easy fix, places like Texas Speed, Thunder Racing sell extension harnesses so it's all just plug and play.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Awesome!

That helped sooooooo much.

I just don't understand why the seller was so adamant that it wouldn't work behind my T56.

And, just looked at the harnesses I will need and they are in my budget.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

now have your dad go and get it from him

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Yep. Except got to wait til I get paid.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

You cannot use a '99 or '00 LQ4 block with a six speed. It is not because of the reluctor wheel. It is because the rear of the crank is longer. The alignment of the clutch,flywheel and starter will be off. The only way to fix this is to run an automatic with the correct flex plate or swap cranks. I really hope you read this before you buy that block.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Thank you, ill pass on it then. I don't want anything difficult.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

My buddy has a 98 SS M6 and he recently put in a LQ9. I am pretty sure the LQ4 and LQ9 are very similar minus a few small differences. He is using his t56 with stage 2 internals. I don't see wht LQ4 would not work.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

jr bonds is right for some reason in 99-00 the lq4 crank had a longer snout and will not work with current fbody trannys without some work. At that point your better off just finding a newer engine with the aluminum heads (99-00 had iron heads). The difference between the lq9 and the lq4 is not much the lq9's had full floating wrist pins while only very late lq4's got those and the lq9 had flat top pistons to help raise the compression. Idk how tight you are on money but usually an lq9 isnt much more than an lq4 if you can get a hold of one and put your stock heads on it you will raise the compression into the area of what your stock ls1 is. Also some food for thought is that the lq9 is rated at what your ls1 was while the lq4 is rated at about 25hp less.

One other thing that hasnt really been mentioned in here is that your stock ls1 heads WILL yield higher compression than the 317 heads on the lq4/9 however they arent the better head. The 317 head is the same casting as a 243/799 ls2/6 head just with a larger combustion champer to lower the compression so it will flow more than your ls1 heads. The question then becomes if you have the lq4 is the raise in compression worth the loss in air flow? If you have the lq9 I wouldnt even worry seeing as its compression is already 10:1 (similiar to the ls1) and just putting your ls1 heads on it wouldnt be worth the hassle seeing as you would be going with a head that flows less.
    Last edited by redbird555; 09-12-2011 at 11:53 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

And the computer needs to be reflashed with a 6.0 tune so the thing will run correctly

Thread Information