White
    2001 Z28

Questions about carpet install / replacement

Hi,

I want to replace the stock carpet on my 2001 Z28. I see a lot of replacements carpet molds online for $200 - $300. I have a couple of questions about the process:

1. There are apparently different types of carpet material and backing available. Can someone tell what the OEM carpet is made out of (carpet and backing) and what I might want to look for in a replacement?

2. Does anyone know where I can get the color code for the stock carpet? It doesn't appear to be in the manual.

3. Does anyone have a write up on how to install the carpet? I know I'll need to remove the seats and seat belts, anything else? The stock carpet seems to have a layer of carpet and a layer of padding, are those sold seperately. Am I going to have to glue the stuff down?

Thanks

black
    2002 WS6

I haven't done a carpet install, but know a few little things, the carpet color will be part of the replacement parts or RPO codes found on either the drivers door, or in the glove box.

For what needs to come out, if its attached to the floor it needs to come out, so seats, center console, kick panels, sill plates, all that stuf, cause it also holds the carpet down.

The rest kinda depends on personal preferance and what the manufactures decide on the repoped carpets. Usually in the insulation is attached to the carpet, though over time with dirt and wear it can get stuck to the sheet metal.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

This past summer I ordered and installed a carpet from Autocarpetoriginals.com. My car is white with the Medium Gray / Pewter color carpet. When I ordered the carpet I specified: " 'Medium Grey / Pewter' ACC color code = 9779."

Their carpet is actually supplied by ACC.

The carpet is great qulaity and the fit was perfect (after a little trimming).

Just be sure that when you install the carpet, position the finished edge at the rear of the car (Don't ask me how I know this. . .)

Rip

White
    2001 Z28

Rip, did you order new carpet padding as well? I think I want to replace mine as well as the carpet. Had some water collect in the rear floor once upon a time and it's not in great shape.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog View Post
    Rip, did you order new carpet padding as well? I think I want to replace mine as well as the carpet. Had some water collect in the rear floor once upon a time and it's not in great shape.
    The carpet I ordered and installed came with "mass backing", which worked out very well. I also bought the correct floor mats when I ordered the carpet, and they fit very nicely too.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the ACC carpet from ACO.

Rip

White
    2001 Z28

Has Autocarpetoriginals.com gone outta business or changed it's name? I was finally going to get around to buying the replacement carpet, but can't find the site.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Not sure about them but here is another place you could look at.

Auto Custom Carpets, Inc - Search

White
    2001 Z28

Reviving this old thread because I finally got off my ass and started the process of replacing the carpet this week. Right off the bat I see that I ordered the wrong color. I got 9196 Med Opal and probably should have ordered 9779 Med Gray/Pewter. Oh well.

I spent a few hours getting the old carpet and out wiping out the floor pan and other surfaces with hot water and pine sol.

However, I have a few questions before I put in the new one.

1) The carpet I ordered doesn't have the same amount of back-padding at the OEM carpet. It came with three small loose pieces that appear to fit under the driver and passenger seats in the front and under the center console. There is no padding for the rear seats or the deck. I think the lack of padding will make the car a lot louder. I'm thinking of getting some 3M Sound Deadening Pads (Part # 8840 ) from a local store to offset the lack of new pads. Has anyone used these and if so, are they easy to work with and do they perform well?

2) I guess I was a little naive in thinking the carpet would be cut to fit match the existing carpet. That doesn't seem to the case. What's the best way to trim the replacement? I was thinking about setting the old carpet down on top of the new one and using it as a guide to mark the cuts using chalk and then use some heavy duty scissors or maybe a utility knife.

Is this a good idea? I ask because the new carpet appears to be larger than the old one, but the new one doesn't have the same contours from sitting in the car for the past 13 years. Is it better to try and shove the new carpet into car and then trim it?

Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wow. Looks like you have all sorts of extra carpet around the perimeter. If you do trim it out of the car, I would go larger than you think just to be safe. You can always trim more away, but adding it back on isn't really feasible.

black
    2002 WS6

I would follow pajeffs advice, as these cars get older and loose the mass appeal, replacement parts will become more "universal" to fit a wide variety of application and be less specifically made to an exact fit.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Your approach using the existing carpet as a template should work ok. I did the same thing, and I also trimmed the new carpet about 2-3 inches larger. Again, make sure you have the finished edge at the back of the car. Once you get the whole thing in place, it goes pretty easy. Just go around the edges and fit, cut and tuck in the carpet.

Rip

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ripinator View Post
    Your approach using the existing carpet as a template should work ok. I did the same thing, and I also trimmed the new carpet about 2-3 inches larger. Again, make sure you have the finished edge at the back of the car. Once you get the whole thing in place, it goes pretty easy. Just go around the edges and fit, cut and tuck in the carpet.

Rip
    Thanks. Did your replacement carpet come with backing material? Mine didn't, i.e. all the padding you see in the photo on the old carpet is missing from the new carpet. I'm worried about increased road noise if I don't replace the padding.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog View Post
    Thanks. Did your replacement carpet come with backing material? Mine didn't, i.e. all the padding you see in the photo on the old carpet is missing from the new carpet. I'm worried about increased road noise if I don't replace the padding.
    My new carpet came with what is called "mass backing." It seems to be ok as regards fit and noise, etc.

However, the mass backing I have is not as thick as the padding in your photo. Also, my old carpet did not have the kind of thick padding you have.

Is there any way you could re-use some or most of your old padding?

Rip

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you can separate the padding from the old carpet, you can certainly re-use it. I believe that 3M makes a spray adhesive that will secure the padding to the carpet. Honestly, I would simply install the new carpet and forgo swapping over the padding. I doubt it is going to make all that much of a difference.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If you can separate the padding from the old carpet, you can certainly re-use it. I believe that 3M makes a spray adhesive that will secure the padding to the carpet. Honestly, I would simply install the new carpet and forgo swapping over the padding. I doubt it is going to make all that much of a difference.
    Didn't want to re-use the padding as it's a bit musty. Half the reason I'm replacing the carpet is to get rid old carpet smell. I ended up buying a roll of carpet padding from the hardware store and cutting it up to fit inside the car. Just finished laying it out. I used double sided tape in a few places to keep it in place. Now I'm going to work on the actual carpet.

White
    2001 Z28

Just finished. An all day affair. As for lessons learned, I now know that I should put the console back in before trimming away the extra carpet. I was basing my cuts on the existing backing and assumed the console would cover up the gap. It doesn't.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Not to be a kill joy but I think household carpet padding is a bad idea. Heat, moisture, etc. characteristics I would think would be very different.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Last edited by DaddySS; 07-07-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Thread Information