Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam

Question Putting the transmission back in?

I bought a McCloud dual clutch assembly set up for my 98 transam. No problems getting everything down and the new clutch back up, but i just can't seem to get the transmission imput shaft through both of the clutch plates. I tighten down the clutch and the clutch alignment tool slides in and out easily... When i put the transmission back up i can get the imput shaft started, and when the bell houseing is about an 1/8 in away from the fingers on the clutch it won't go any further... I've tried using the drive shaft while the transmission is in gear to spin the input shaft and kick it at the same time that doesn't work? I've tried turning the crank over to move the flywheel so the splins on the imput shaft will catch and slide right in: yeah that didn't work either... I've also tried getting longer bolts solwly pulling the transmission to the bell housing - you have to be careful other wise you will strip the threads in the bell housing. It wasn't bad though...

SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS OUT THERE???
    IT WOULD BE ALOT OF HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS TO ANY COMMENTS!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Personaly i would try and put the original cluth assembly back in and see if you have the same issue. If so then your forgetting something if not then might be the clutch assembly.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

At an eigth of a inch shouldn't all the splines and the pilot be engaged? Once before I had wires from the engine bay inbetween the two mating surfaces that caused the problem. Check the vent mount bracket on the top right side for proper position.I put my tranny in yesterday and it slid right in and pushed back about an eigth. Must be the return spring on the throwout bearing. I started two bolts on opposing sides, pulled it up and it works fine. However I wouldnt recommend doing that on the old fork and z-bar setup. Put anti-seize on the alignment pins? Helps.

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

Re-read your post and I wonder about the alignment tool. Does it fit tight or sorta sloppy? Mine is a blue plastic job with a pull ring on the end . I use the ring to verify alignment vertically and horizontally by looking at the distance from the inner and outer edges several times until I'm satisfied that its near perfect.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

did you clean any rust etc off of the dowels and make sure they aren't what is getting tight?

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

From my experience the alignment tool went in and out just fine but it was at an angle vertically, which wouldn't let the input shaft go into the pilot bearing. Make sure the alignment tool is perfectly centered!!! Good luck and let us know!
    -Will

'99 Camaro SS SLP#24 -- Not as Slow and Still As Pretty

Thread Information