16vCorvette

Putting a carb on a LS1

Anybody have any experience with the Edelbrock Performer or Victor Jr. intake manifolds that allow a carb to be put on a LS1? I have a 1980 Corvette and would like to swap an LS1 into the car. The thought of getting the factory wiring harness to work in the older car or going standalone is whats stopping me from this swap. The car has an L82 engine but the thought of a better platform to mod along with an all aluminum engine is why I'm debating. Even getting the Vortec 6000 from a truck would be an interesting swap.
    Last edited by 16vCorvette; 09-27-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 16vCorvette
    Anybody have any experience with the Edelbrock Performer or Victor Jr. intake manifolds that allow a carb to be put on a LS1? I have a 1980 Corvette and would like to swap an LS1 into the car. The thought of getting the factory wiring harness to work in the older car or going standalone is whats stopping me from this swap. The car has an L82 engine but the thought of a better platform to mod along with an all aluminum engine is why I'm debating. Even getting the Vortex 6000 from a truck would be an interesting swap.
    Did you mean the Vortec 6.0 ? Don't even waste your time with a carb, get the wiring harness and make it work it will be worth it in the end especially if you are not going to leave it stock. You will be able to tune it then and be much more happy with your performance. Otherwise you would be better off to order a carbed version crate motor from GM. Just my .02

16vCorvette
    Yeah I meant either the Vortec 6L or a LS1

Atmus
    you wouldnt really have to get the factory wiring harness, you could get a stand alone fuel injection system for it.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Why not just get painless or another wiring harness company to build you a harness for it. They can build a harness for it all you have to tell them is the info on motor and car.

16vCorvette
    Thats what I'm not sure on. Wouldn't it cost $500 - $600 for a company to build me a wiring harness? Thats when I think it would be worth it to spend more money and just go standalone. Otherwise buying the intake manifold from edelbrock, the cam they suggest along with a carb would be the cheapest solution. I like the fact that the stock ls1 head outflows my old L82 cast iron heads and the whole ls1 engine weighs much less than the L82.

Quote Originally Posted by 16vCorvette
    Thats what I'm not sure on. Wouldn't it cost $500 - $600 for a company to build me a wiring harness? Thats when I think it would be worth it to spend more money and just go standalone. Otherwise buying the intake manifold from edelbrock, the cam they suggest along with a carb would be the cheapest solution. I like the fact that the stock ls1 head outflows my old L82 cast iron heads and the whole ls1 engine weighs much less than the L82.
    so are you getting a complete motor or just the lower portion and the heads or what? Because if you are getting a complete motor and then buy the intake, carb and other gaskets, etc. you are going to be looking at that price anyway.( The only way that would make sense is that you are taking the intake and carb off of an existing motor and doing it because of that???) I wouldn't be without the FI for the LS1

16vCorvette
    Haven't bought anything yet. Thats why I'm checking here first. I'm in the planning stages right now. The stock harness has to be connected to an ignition switch and something else in order for it to work, correct? Besides fuel injection, there are many other benefits of the LS1 over what I have. I guess nobody has any experience with this carb conversion.

to be honest with you I can't think of any real advantages of converting it to a carburated set up.......why would you want to? Just the pain of hooking up the wiring harness?

dmnall
    Well from what I have seen the price of the Edelbrock Intake for the LS1 (699.00) not including throttle brackets or Carb, you might as well get the Painless Wiring harness for $ 500 and still run the fuel injection. Too me when I decide swap in either an LS1 or LS2 w/ T-56 Trans in my 68 C10, the $ 500 for the wiring harness is nothing to get away from a Carb. Not meaning to diss the Carb as carbs are easy to work on, however, I would rather run fuel injection since it just works great.

Charlie

Thread Information