Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pulsing Lights/Headlights

This is a discussion on Pulsing Lights/Headlights within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; dealer just got back to me and said problem is coming from alternator. Will get it back tonight and see ...

black
    2000 camaro z28

dealer just got back to me and said problem is coming from alternator. Will get it back tonight and see if that indeed fixed the problem.

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

Headlight switch is possible? PCM I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

black
    2000 camaro z28

it was alternator, works fine now.

Possible Solution:
    I had the same problem on my 95' transam. I went to autozone and had the battery and alternator checked... all was good... But my engine would cut off, bog down, lights flicker, and I would hear a clicking sound. Well to keep it all short. After I cleaned everything and still no go. I raised my car and was looking under... One of my spark plug wires was getting eaten by one of the pumps. It was almost cut in half and was causing the short. Just remember guys, Check all your components that could cause this. There are more things then just an alternator and battery that can cause this to happen

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Good thread. I took mine to the dealer about this 6mo ago. They told me that it was a common issue and nothing to fix. Gotta luv those dealers. At least they didn't charge me arm/leg to fix things not broken.

I just start my car up and anytime someone rides with me, tell em common t/a issue. blah blah....

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

mine started doing that after i had my subs installed, he pulled the pcm to run a cable to the rear and after that it started to pulsate and the voltage drops when im at a stop, so i figure either the amp is too much for the alternator or he nocked something loose.

Voltage issue

I'm having the same issue. Only when the car is hot and at idle. Dealer ship replaced the Altenator and they said the problem was fixed. Wrong. It started back up the same day. I also had them change the battery cables with the upgraded ones I brought online. Has anyone fixed this problem?

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

same thing with mine since I remember, probably since I bought the car brand new. It seems that the alternator is over charging.

Any one know how I can turn on my fans and test all speeds with out having to like drive the car to get it to turn on? I'm think one of my fans might be causing the issue.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by kraemer94 View Post
    Any one know how I can turn on my fans and test all speeds with out having to like drive the car to get it to turn on? I'm think one of my fans might be causing the issue.
    keep the car running with the AC on.

Well it's not the fans. Brought the car back to the dealer ship this morning. They still can not find the problem. Guy telling me it might be the PCM. I don't get it. Why it's only happening when the car is at idle for a while and the second fans kick on. O well, we will see what they tell me tomorrow....

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Given the severe commonness of this problem, I have a few ideas.

Ok, first and foremost, is this occuring when you have your AC functioning??? Does it go away without it?

If this is not the case, then I would indeed suspect the PCM. It does make sense, and heres why. The PCM should be controling the voltage reg... (i think these models do anyway) if the programming in the PCM is "stupid" then it is prolly cycling the reg when the voltage is at its lowest, in an attempt to stablize the voltage to keep all of its sensors happy, rather then suceeding at keeping a constant, its dropping the ball, and bouncing around. It is a possiblity.

Heres an idea for you guys, get in there with a GM scan tool and raise your idle a couple 100 RPMs... whatever the problem is, getting the idle up to keep the voltage from hitting the low zone should eliminate it, period.

Does not matter if the AC is on or off. Also car is stock. no aftermarket radio etc.
    Problem I have is when the car in idle, say waiting in traffice for a while enough for the fans to kick on. Voltage guage jumps all over. So much that I can tell it affects the engine,lights etc. But if I give the gas the voltage goes back up and once I just driving again everything is back to normal. Sounds like an altenatr problem but they already changed it and it's doing the same thing.

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

I'm dealing with this issue currently on my 02 WS6. I have a Powermaster 200 amp now, which I'm pretty sure is not the cause (I have 2 (long story), both act the same).

There was mention above of the alternator needing to be grounded - can someone explain where this ground is supposed to go on the alternator?

FYI, my car's symptoms also show up only after it's warmed up a bit and is at idle. Raise the revs 100 or so and it resumes charging. During a loooong stretch of stop & go in hot weather recently, it required ~1300 rpm to charge.

Not sure why the hell heat affects it....

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Battery cell went dead on mine. Replaced battery, no more probs.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

planemech, in what conditions were you seeing this problem? afaict my battery is doing fine...

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

TransAMrit: Mine started with the DRLs flipping on and off after start. Next time, the DRLs flickered and all my gauges went wacko, then car wouldn't start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information