Thread: Pulleys on LS1?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Question Pulleys on LS1?

I want to do the pulley upgrade on my ls1. I guess its called the underdrive pulley. Rksport sells a 2peice version and slp sells a 1 peice. I was wondering what the difference is. I know I will need new belts that will fit and I guess I'll buy them from the same company the pulleys come from. Do I need a tune with this mod or is it similar to the other mods where I won't have to get a tune? Also should I do it myself? I did my lt headers and ory, so I'm pretty capable.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

The two (2) piece

The two (2) piece.....one is the large harmonic crank pulley. The second would probably be for the alternator and of course smaller diameter. Some folks report low voltage indications on A4 cars. M6 don't seem to suffer at all. I have the SLP on my M6 and no problems. Faster wind up and it makes profitable gains IMO. I paid $60 to have it installed. I don't have a lift and wheel puller was the main reasons. Also can be a knuckle buster with no lift they are on tight...tight and need to go back the same way. Good luck
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the one peice, and don't have any charging issues with my A4. This will not affect the tuning. It's not to bad to install. If you did the headers, this will be a peice of cake !!!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

peice of cake huh? hahaha, the headers took me about 24-25 hrs straight but I got it done. I didn't know I'd have to remove the dip stick and get a hacksaw on a chunk of overcast on the engine and lose all that sleep, and save between $500-$1300 hahaha! Saving all the money was my favorite part. I had a lift on the header install. I'll just probably get my buddies to do it. I'll probably get the pulley installed with my subframes.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya, I did the headers...wow... The pulley will be cake, compared to them !!!
    Pulley puller & a socket !!!

98T/Aformula
    I have the SLP two pice which is wierd that your saying its one ? maybe its prolly a different one but I just went and got new belts at a local auto parts store, like Napa or Checker, but I have an A4 and the volts go way down when im sitting at a stop light or just not moving except when I start the car, but it winds up quicker and is overall a real simple mod to do.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I might have got my one piece ( double belt ) from texas speed...Here's the TSP link
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=40&catid=16
    I have a decent cam with a lopy idle, but it seems to charge OK at idle... I guess my alternater likes me !!!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

how much is and what the heck does a pulley puller look like?hahaha

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    how much is and what the heck does a pulley puller look like?hahaha
    you should be able to "rent/borrow" a cheap one from autozone/advance/pepboys etc etc for the afternoon... you'll need the socket & long bolt to help it off too... ill try and find the specs & get back to ya on that

personally i vote for ASP

these sites should give you alot of useful info too

www.ls1howto.com and www.installuniversity.com

pulley info located in the cam swap install

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Thanks man

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I've got one installed now and I did it myself. I installed it like 2weeks ago. I installed it on my 02 SS m6. It seems to let me be in a higher gear at lower speeds. for instance I can shift into 5th at 23mph instead of 25 and above. the pattern goes for all gears. I like it because it lets me use 6th gear more often without straining the engine to stay alive. It also helps the engine wind up quicker as expected. It is definitely a gas saver too because of the gear thing I mentioned before. By the way it was the ASP Underdrive pulley.

Thread Information