Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulley's

silver
    98 ss camaro

pulley's

So i got some bbk pulley's and 80mm tb i'm putting on today, I was reading the instructions on the pulley's and it says something about some pulley tool never heard of. it also talks about a new bolt and the pulleys didn't come with anything so i'm thinkin the instructions are generic. thought i'd ask though to change out the pulley's do I need any special tools? please help I want to install today and i'm waiting till i get this info to start.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Dont reuse the old crank bolt, pickup a new one from dealer or local parts store.
    The "special tool" is a crank pulley puller, makes things a bit easier to remove the pulley.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Dont reuse the old crank bolt, pickup a new one from dealer or local parts store.
    The "special tool" is a crank pulley puller, makes things a bit easier to remove the pulley.
    J
    a bit easier PITA!!!

the puller tool is basically 3 claws and a shaft... you rench on the shaft and the claws hook on to the pully to pull it out... and like sunset said do not use the old crank bolt...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol, I fibbed a bit, those knuckles are gonna hurt...
    J

silver
    98 ss camaro

ok will go get the bolt and see if kragens will loan out the tool I like my knuckles intact.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Lol, I fibbed a bit, those knuckles are gonna hurt...
    J

me and my brother used a impact gun with the pully puller... when it slipped off it scared the shit out of us!!!

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

me and my brother used a impact gun with the pully puller... when it slipped off it scared the shit out of us!!!
    got the tb in trying the pulleys now got a pulley puller but I don't have an impact gun how the hell do I get the bolt off the alternator and the crankshaft bolts off it just keeps spinning the belt.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    got the tb in trying the pulleys now got a pulley puller but I don't have an impact gun how the hell do I get the bolt off the alternator and the crankshaft bolts off it just keeps spinning the belt.

you won't need an impact gun...just a wrench to turn the center part of the puller...

silver
    98 ss camaro

you won't need an impact gun...just a wrench to turn the center part of the puller...
    so the pulley puller keeps the belts keeps them from spinning ok sorry the instructions just told me to get a 24mm socket and loosen and when you do that they just spin.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

so the pulley puller keeps the belts keeps them from spinning ok sorry the instructions just told me to get a 24mm socket and loosen and when you do that they just spin.
    you lost me... the belts shouldn't be on... you should take a wrench and pull the tensioner puilly to slip the belts off...

silver
    98 ss camaro

you lost me... the belts shouldn't be on... you should take a wrench and pull the tensioner puilly to slip the belts off...
    with the belts off when I put the socket on and start turning it to loosen the bolt the pulley just spins instead of doing anything.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

with the belts off when I put the socket on and start turning it to loosen the bolt the pulley just spins instead of doing anything.

are you turning the right way???

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ok... is this the pully you're trying to pull??? i just want to be sure... this is the closeset picture i could find...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Click for full size

ok... is this the pully you're trying to pull??? i just want to be sure... this is the closeset picture i could find...
    the claws on teh crank pully should go on the ring part of the pully the shaft of teh puller should go dead center in the little circle... when you turn the pulley puller the claws should start to pull the pulley off the crank shaft

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

red circles should be the claws... red X in center is where the shaft goes...

as you turn the shaft the threads will make the claws pull on the pulley and poop taht bitch right off...

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

OK a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is the skinny ripped from LS1Howto.com

On a 6 speed car, put the shifter in 4th gear and make sure the parking brake is on tight. On an A4 car, you'll need to drop the starter and either install the flywheel locking tool or wedge a screwdriver in. The starter is held in by 2 13mm bolts for 99+ models or 2 15mm bolts for 98 models and is on the bottom rear passenger side of the engine. You can leave the wires attached.

Once the engine is locked down from spinning, use your large breaker bar, a 3" extension and a 24mm socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt that goes directly into the crank through the center of the large pulley. You may need a 2-3 foot extension of pipe to slip over your wrench to break this bolt free. Once it's broken free, you should be able to unscrew it by hand. Once the bolt is out, either thread it back in 4 full turns, or if you purchased a 1" longer metric crank bolt, install it all the way at this time.

Now install your 3 arm pulley puller, mounting the hooks of the three arms on the inner part of the stock pulley. If you already have an underdrive pulley on there, either pull it off using a 3 screw type puller, or be VERY careful and grab onto a lip of the underdrive pulley (on the f-body ASP pulley there is a ridge half way back that can be pulled on safely with a 3 arm puller). Keeping the pulley puller arms all secure and aligned, begin to tighten the bolt on the puller and crank on it until the pulley either comes loose, or hits the head of your crank bolt. If it hits the head of your crankbolt, loosen the pulley puller, unturn the bolt 1-2 turns, and re-try it again. The key when you back your crank bolt out more, you are putting MORE stress on less and less of the threads...however, towards the end of pulley removal it will come off easier and easier so the stress isn't enough to damage the crankshaft threads.

If you get the pulley as far off as it'll come without totally removing the crankbolt and the pulley is still firmly on there, give it a good tug or a tap with a rubber mallet...it should be hanging on by just a hair at this point. If you have the longer crank bolt, this won't be an issue.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by killer_bluebird View Post
    ok a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is the skinny ripped from ls1howto.com
    Click for full size
    on a 6 speed car, put the shifter in 4th gear and make sure the parking brake is on tight. On an a4 car, you'll need to drop the starter and either install the flywheel locking tool or wedge a screwdriver in. The starter is held in by 2 13mm bolts for 99+ models or 2 15mm bolts for 98 models and is on the bottom rear passenger side of the engine. You can leave the wires attached.

Once the engine is locked down from spinning, use your large breaker bar, a 3" extension and a 24mm socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt that goes directly into the crank through the center of the large pulley. You may need a 2-3 foot extension of pipe to slip over your wrench to break this bolt free. Once it's broken free, you should be able to unscrew it by hand. Once the bolt is out, either thread it back in 4 full turns, or if you purchased a 1" longer metric crank bolt, install it all the way at this time.
    Click for full size
    now install your 3 arm pulley puller, mounting the hooks of the three arms on the inner part of the stock pulley. If you already have an underdrive pulley on there, either pull it off using a 3 screw type puller, or be very careful and grab onto a lip of the underdrive pulley (on the f-body asp pulley there is a ridge half way back that can be pulled on safely with a 3 arm puller). Keeping the pulley puller arms all secure and aligned, begin to tighten the bolt on the puller and crank on it until the pulley either comes loose, or hits the head of your crank bolt. If it hits the head of your crankbolt, loosen the pulley puller, unturn the bolt 1-2 turns, and re-try it again. The key when you back your crank bolt out more, you are putting more stress on less and less of the threads...however, towards the end of pulley removal it will come off easier and easier so the stress isn't enough to damage the crankshaft threads.

If you get the pulley as far off as it'll come without totally removing the crankbolt and the pulley is still firmly on there, give it a good tug or a tap with a rubber mallet...it should be hanging on by just a hair at this point. If you have the longer crank bolt, this won't be an issue.

you got it!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, put the car in gear and put the puller on the insides of the pulley. You're gonna have to put some back into that 24mm bolt to get it loose. I don't think you've don't the proper research on this swap personally. How do you plan on installing the new pulley? If you use the stock bolt to push it on be very careful as you can strip out the threads in the end of the crank. Put the new pulley in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes and that'll help it slide on.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, put the car in gear and put the puller on the insides of the pulley. You're gonna have to put some back into that 24mm bolt to get it loose. I don't think you've don't the proper research on this swap personally. How do you plan on installing the new pulley? If you use the stock bolt to push it on be very careful as you can strip out the threads in the end of the crank. Put the new pulley in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes and that'll help it slide on.
    tbhat is what i did... and damn it took me and my brother almost 2 hours of frustration...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

tbhat is what i did... and damn it took me and my brother almost 2 hours of frustration...
    oh... and we used some washers to i think... to much beer...

Thread Information