Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Proper way to seat rear springs?

This is a discussion on Proper way to seat rear springs? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; at least you caught it before bad shit started happening. Like someone said before most of that stuff back there ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

at least you caught it before bad shit started happening. Like someone said before most of that stuff back there is torqued pretty good.....75-85 ft/lbs. I used to have a file that had all the torque specs on it but have no idea where it's at anymore. If I find it I'll send it to you.
    jrbonds likes this.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Torque wrenches are gonna be your best friend. You def dont want this type of problem happening the next time you mod your car. Buy yourself a decent torque wrench and live by the specs every time you do some type of work that requires torquing. The car manufacturers have those specs for a good reason. You got lucky something bad didn't happen on your test drive, but good to hear you found the problem and nothing seriously bad happened. I think it's AWESOME when a girl mods her own car and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty!!

I don't mean this in a sexest way, but I had no idea you were a girl. I'm extremely impressed you're wrenching on the car and doing things most girls wouldn't have a clue with. Loose bolts or not, you got in there and tackled it and that's a thumbs up in my opinion. Glad you got it worked out.

Just a FYI, even alot of guys can't do this stuff right We've all had our moments.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Torque wrenches are gonna be your best friend. You def dont want this type of problem happening the next time you mod your car. Buy yourself a decent torque wrench and live by the specs every time you do some type of work that requires torquing. The car manufacturers have those specs for a good reason. You got lucky something bad didn't happen on your test drive, but good to hear you found the problem and nothing seriously bad happened. I think it's AWESOME when a girl mods her own car and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty!!
    Yes, I had a nice one. But like I mentioned, my ex took off with it back in May when we spilt up. I'll get a new one here soon. I've been doing this a long time, and I knew something was not right in the rear of the car. Much much better drive to work this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't mean this in a sexest way, but I had no idea you were a girl. I'm extremely impressed you're wrenching on the car and doing things most girls wouldn't have a clue with. Loose bolts or not, you got in there and tackled it and that's a thumbs up in my opinion. Glad you got it worked out.

Just a FYI, even alot of guys can't do this stuff right We've all had our moments.
    Oh yeah, my roommate even took pics of me covered in grease and blasted them on facebook. And I know more about wrenching on things then I do on how to apply make up and fix my hair.

Do you not remember helping me with my 6.0 build last year? You helped tremendously through PM's. I still appreciate all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post

Oh yeah, my roommate even took pics of me covered in grease and blasted them on facebook. And I know more about wrenching on things then I do on how to apply make up and fix my hair.

Do you not remember helping me with my 6.0 build last year? You helped tremendously through PM's. I still appreciate all the help.
    That's hillarious

Yeah sounds familiar. Glad I could help. I assume you got that all squared away.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Yes, I had a nice one. But like I mentioned, my ex took off with it back in May when we spilt up. I'll get a new one here soon. I've been doing this a long time, and I knew something was not right in the rear of the car. Much much better drive to work this morning.
    sounds like your typical guy..."oh yea???? Well im taking the torque wrench when I go!"
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I just did the LAC's , panhard and Torq arm most of the Torq specs were 75lbs
    You can pick up a decent Torq wrench at Harbor Freight for cheap they are right on spec for the most part ( checked it with a pricy one ). Wouldn't put a motor together but for most everything else they perform great.
    Also don't forget to load the suspension before torquing anything
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I just did the LAC's , panhard and Torq arm most of the Torq specs were 75lbs
    You can pick up a decent Torq wrench at Harbor Freight for cheap they are right on spec for the most part ( checked it with a pricy one ). Wouldn't put a motor together but for most everything else they perform great.
    Also don't forget to load the suspension before torquing anything
    you have to really watch those HF wrenches. I had one a few years ago that basically became a breaker bar. I can put everything I got into that thing and it won't click. I have a couple craftsman torque wrenches now that have worked great for years. They're really not that expensive when you compare them to snap on.
    RONS98TA likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I agree with Orion. I have both a ft/lb torque wrench and an inch/lb torque wrench. Both craftsman brand. You really don't wanna take a chance with an inferior tool when it comes to something critical like torque specs. This is a case where "you get what you pay for" in my opinion. Maybe the HF wrench worked fine today, but maybe it wont in the future. Not a chance i wanna take when torquing down a $1000 FAST intake. Or worse yet, something that may fall off while driving down the beltway.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you have to really watch those HF wrenches. I had one a few years ago that basically became a breaker bar. I can put everything I got into that thing and it won't click. I have a couple craftsman torque wrenches now that have worked great for years. They're really not that expensive when you compare them to snap on.
    Just picked up 3 a couple months ago when they were on sale. With Christmas coming up Sears will be having a sale on their tools soon.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I went and bought a craftsman this weekend. Sold some old car parts, so I had the money.

But no more problems with the suspension.

Just the clutch now. Ugh.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

When it rains it pours. You know as soon as you get the clutch fixed, something else will go. Stupid cars.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I went and bought a craftsman this weekend. Sold some old car parts, so I had the money.

But no more problems with the suspension.

Just the clutch now. Ugh.
    Stop doing burnouts and it will last longer.
    It's on jackstands.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Stop doing burnouts and it will last longer.
    I haven't done any burnouts in my car yet. Too scared to. But she did make the 1100 journey and back home this weekend. Pretty proud of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information