Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
Like Tree8Likes

Proper way to seat rear springs?

This is a discussion on Proper way to seat rear springs? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; at least you caught it before bad shit started happening. Like someone said before most of that stuff back there ...

  1. #21
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    at least you caught it before bad shit started happening. Like someone said before most of that stuff back there is torqued pretty good.....75-85 ft/lbs. I used to have a file that had all the torque specs on it but have no idea where it's at anymore. If I find it I'll send it to you.
    jrbonds likes this.

  2. #22
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    Torque wrenches are gonna be your best friend. You def dont want this type of problem happening the next time you mod your car. Buy yourself a decent torque wrench and live by the specs every time you do some type of work that requires torquing. The car manufacturers have those specs for a good reason. You got lucky something bad didn't happen on your test drive, but good to hear you found the problem and nothing seriously bad happened. I think it's AWESOME when a girl mods her own car and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty!!

  3. #23
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I don't mean this in a sexest way, but I had no idea you were a girl. I'm extremely impressed you're wrenching on the car and doing things most girls wouldn't have a clue with. Loose bolts or not, you got in there and tackled it and that's a thumbs up in my opinion. Glad you got it worked out.

    Just a FYI, even alot of guys can't do this stuff right We've all had our moments.

  4. #24
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Torque wrenches are gonna be your best friend. You def dont want this type of problem happening the next time you mod your car. Buy yourself a decent torque wrench and live by the specs every time you do some type of work that requires torquing. The car manufacturers have those specs for a good reason. You got lucky something bad didn't happen on your test drive, but good to hear you found the problem and nothing seriously bad happened. I think it's AWESOME when a girl mods her own car and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty!!
    Yes, I had a nice one. But like I mentioned, my ex took off with it back in May when we spilt up. I'll get a new one here soon. I've been doing this a long time, and I knew something was not right in the rear of the car. Much much better drive to work this morning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't mean this in a sexest way, but I had no idea you were a girl. I'm extremely impressed you're wrenching on the car and doing things most girls wouldn't have a clue with. Loose bolts or not, you got in there and tackled it and that's a thumbs up in my opinion. Glad you got it worked out.

    Just a FYI, even alot of guys can't do this stuff right We've all had our moments.
    Oh yeah, my roommate even took pics of me covered in grease and blasted them on facebook. And I know more about wrenching on things then I do on how to apply make up and fix my hair.

    Do you not remember helping me with my 6.0 build last year? You helped tremendously through PM's. I still appreciate all the help.

  5. #25
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post

    Oh yeah, my roommate even took pics of me covered in grease and blasted them on facebook. And I know more about wrenching on things then I do on how to apply make up and fix my hair.

    Do you not remember helping me with my 6.0 build last year? You helped tremendously through PM's. I still appreciate all the help.
    That's hillarious

    Yeah sounds familiar. Glad I could help. I assume you got that all squared away.

  6. #26
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    Yes, I had a nice one. But like I mentioned, my ex took off with it back in May when we spilt up. I'll get a new one here soon. I've been doing this a long time, and I knew something was not right in the rear of the car. Much much better drive to work this morning.
    sounds like your typical guy..."oh yea???? Well im taking the torque wrench when I go!"
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

  7. #27
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    I just did the LAC's , panhard and Torq arm most of the Torq specs were 75lbs
    You can pick up a decent Torq wrench at Harbor Freight for cheap they are right on spec for the most part ( checked it with a pricy one ). Wouldn't put a motor together but for most everything else they perform great.
    Also don't forget to load the suspension before torquing anything
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

  8. #28
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I just did the LAC's , panhard and Torq arm most of the Torq specs were 75lbs
    You can pick up a decent Torq wrench at Harbor Freight for cheap they are right on spec for the most part ( checked it with a pricy one ). Wouldn't put a motor together but for most everything else they perform great.
    Also don't forget to load the suspension before torquing anything
    you have to really watch those HF wrenches. I had one a few years ago that basically became a breaker bar. I can put everything I got into that thing and it won't click. I have a couple craftsman torque wrenches now that have worked great for years. They're really not that expensive when you compare them to snap on.
    RONS98TA likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

  9. #29
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    I agree with Orion. I have both a ft/lb torque wrench and an inch/lb torque wrench. Both craftsman brand. You really don't wanna take a chance with an inferior tool when it comes to something critical like torque specs. This is a case where "you get what you pay for" in my opinion. Maybe the HF wrench worked fine today, but maybe it wont in the future. Not a chance i wanna take when torquing down a $1000 FAST intake. Or worse yet, something that may fall off while driving down the beltway.

  10. #30
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you have to really watch those HF wrenches. I had one a few years ago that basically became a breaker bar. I can put everything I got into that thing and it won't click. I have a couple craftsman torque wrenches now that have worked great for years. They're really not that expensive when you compare them to snap on.
    Just picked up 3 a couple months ago when they were on sale. With Christmas coming up Sears will be having a sale on their tools soon.

  11. #31
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    I went and bought a craftsman this weekend. Sold some old car parts, so I had the money.

    But no more problems with the suspension.

    Just the clutch now. Ugh.

  12. #32
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    When it rains it pours. You know as soon as you get the clutch fixed, something else will go. Stupid cars.

  13. #33
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    I went and bought a craftsman this weekend. Sold some old car parts, so I had the money.

    But no more problems with the suspension.

    Just the clutch now. Ugh.
    Stop doing burnouts and it will last longer.
    It's on jackstands.

  14. #34
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Stop doing burnouts and it will last longer.
    I haven't done any burnouts in my car yet. Too scared to. But she did make the 1100 journey and back home this weekend. Pretty proud of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rear seat
    By johnfin in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 04:18 AM
  2. Wanted: Stock springs / Rear seat speaker
    By MeanMachine1 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM
  3. Rear seat
    By SailorZ28 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
  4. wtb: crank pulley, valve springs, sparco evo 2 seat
    By deathbyspoon in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 05:54 AM
  5. WTB: cam, springs, shorty headers, Sparco evo 2 seat
    By deathbyspoon in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •