Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pajeff02

Problems with Shell V Power

This is a discussion on Problems with Shell V Power within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; About a month ago I parked to run into a store and let my car idle. When I returned a ...

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Problems with Shell V Power

About a month ago I parked to run into a store and let my car idle. When I returned a few minutes later the CEL was glowing. Checked the code with a reader, and it came back as a lean bank in 1 and 2. Okay no big deal cleared code and bought some seafoam just in case my injectors were gunked. Unfortunately the CEL popped right back on as I pulled into my driveway. Cleared code again and dumped in the seafoam. I had no more issues for the duration of that tank of gas. Next time i fueled i went with mobile just to see if the same thing would happen. it didn't. ran that tank of gas with no issue. Next fill i went back to shell. the first sip of gas through the injectors threw the light again, same code. Is the detergent load dislodging crap and clogging things? Or is this a jenky ghetto gas station with water in its fuel?
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by dethinboots View Post
    About a month ago I parked to run into a store and let my car idle. When I returned a few minutes later the CEL was glowing. Checked the code with a reader, and it came back as a lean bank in 1 and 2. Okay no big deal cleared code and bought some seafoam just in case my injectors were gunked. Unfortunately the CEL popped right back on as I pulled into my driveway. Cleared code again and dumped in the seafoam. I had no more issues for the duration of that tank of gas. Next time i fueled i went with mobile just to see if the same thing would happen. it didn't. ran that tank of gas with no issue. Next fill i went back to shell. the first sip of gas through the injectors threw the light again, same code. Is the detergent load dislodging crap and clogging things? Or is this a jenky ghetto gas station with water in its fuel?

You will have to figure out what codes are being thrown first. There is probably another factor throwing the code though.

Last year, I kept getting a catalyst efficiency code halfway through a tank of BJ's fuel. I would clear the code, fill up with some Shell gas, and the code wouldn't come back. After this happened a couple times, I figured it was the BJs gas, and stopped using it, and the code didn't come back for two months, until the code came back, and also the sound of a hole in the exhaust. What happened was a small crack in the drivers side converter formed, and the computer must have found a way to "normalize" it every time I cleared it, until the crack spread.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Code is P0171 bank 1 system too lean

- - - Updated - - -

P0174 bank 2 as well

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Code is P0171 bank 1 system too lean

- - - Updated - - -

P0174 bank 2 as well
    Those codes for a lean condition:

-Check for vacuum leaks (especially for the PCV hose system), like hoses, and the manifold
    -Check the MAF
    -Check plugs and wires
    -Might be fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator

The checking stuff is fairly straight forward but you might need someone with a scan tool, fuel pressure gage.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Odd that it would throw lean codes with a specific fuel brand. I am with Scott on this one, there is probably an underlying issue that will take some diagnostics. Crappy fuel will usually have an impact that you can feel.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

It is about time for some new spark wires. Got zapped reaching under the hood which leads me to believe a wire is failing. I also have a catch can and a crankcase breather filter. Would that qualify as a vacuum leak? I've had it for ages with no issue. It's just strange that this happens when I fill up at this particular location.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Subscribed!
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

It is about time for some new spark wires. Got zapped reaching under the hood which leads me to believe a wire is failing. I also have a catch can and a crankcase breather filter. Would that qualify as a vacuum leak? I've had it for ages with no issue. It's just strange that this happens when I fill up at this particular location.
    As long as all the vacuum hoses are not leaking air, and are connected to the corresponding port, then it wouldn't be a leak.

Try going to another brand for a month or two, and see if the codes return.

Have you checked the plugs?

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

I'm definitely going to try some other brand for awhile. The plugs are about 2 years old, but have lesss than 10k of use. New heads and cam go in next month so I was waiting till then to swap. Could the wire arcing outside the boot drastically reduce the plugs ability to ignite fuel?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I'm definitely going to try some other brand for awhile. The plugs are about 2 years old, but have lesss than 10k of use. New heads and cam go in next month so I was waiting till then to swap. Could the wire arcing outside the boot drastically reduce the plugs ability to ignite fuel?
    Yes, the arcing would make it harder for the plugs to do its job, that energy isn't going to the plug. I would at least check the cylinder plug that's arcing, and the neighboring ones, and see what they are saying.

While it's good to try another brand for an extended period, to rule the brand out, I still think the r al problem is elsewhere.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact DW's all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    356 rwhp, 360 rwlb/tq

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Seems to me that if this were the issue, you'd be getting a rich (misfire) type of problem, not a lean condition... ?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Seems to me that if this were the issue, you'd be getting a rich (misfire) type of problem, not a lean condition... ?
    While I agree with your assessment, stranger things have happened, and going through the spark side of the combo would at least rule it out.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easy test for plug wire arc - with the engine running, pop the hood at night in a dark location. It can be an interesting light show if there are bad wires.
    Naaman likes this.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

I'm going to swap plugs and wires soon because it's about that time. I have been using chevron faithfully now and haven't had any issues.

There is a little of a light show under the hood. I was wiping things down under the hood using a spray bottle. When the mist from the bottle flowed near the wires the spark became more visible.

Thanks for the help

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Swap out wires and check your cold air intake hose. I know whenever I got a lean bank code, my cai popped off the tb.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Unrelated, but I have religiously only used Amoco/BP Gold (highest octane available at the gas station, usually 91 or 93) in my vehicle since I bought it new 15 years ago and have never had an issue with fuel.
    It's on jackstands.

Thread Information