Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Problem!! Coolant Boils In Radiator!! HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Problem!! Coolant Boils In Radiator!! HELP!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 160 degree thermostats aren't legal in California....

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

160 degree thermostats aren't legal in California.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by spawn_ta View Post
    I am having the same problem

Fans coming on
    New water pump
    Radiator flow checked and fully cleaned
    New thermostat
    New 50/50 mix
    Coolant checked for exhaust gases, nothing

I seems to run a little hotter and when I shut the engine off, it sits a second and then boils over. The car idles cool, and only gets hot at high rpm's. I don't know for sure if my cap is good, but I replaced it with one I had around the house. I am about to go crazy, anyone have any suggestions?

have you ran it for a while with the cap off to make sure there's no air trapped in there?

Yes, I tried to bleed it with the cap off. I know on the v6's there are bleeder screws in the system, but I cant find anything like that on the LS1. I got a brand new cap, I am putting it on and refilling the car in 5 minutes. I am also going to make a sheet metal air dam and try that (my plastic one is missing.)

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

why arent 160 degree thermostats legal in Cali??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin66 View Post
    why arent 160 degree thermostats legal in Cali??
    Because it causes emissions to be higher thats why. For a brief awnser.
    Either way just put a 180* in it. If you do a little searching we have had multiple pages of debate on this issue already. Then you'll see my view on why not and others opions too.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

OH MY GOD!!!
    Ok, it is STILL doing it, but here is some more information:

It only overflows when I drive it hard at high rpm's then shut it off, it sits for a minute or two, then starts to push into the overflow tank. At idle, the car is fine, it runs a tick under 180 all day.

It sounds like the coolant in the radiator boils, then pushes out into the overflow jug, which fills up and then overflows.

If I block the overflow hose (pinch it shut) no water boils out, it seems to fix the problem.

If it is boiling over and I start the car again, it stops.

Cap, thermostat, and water pump are brand new
    Radiator was rodded out and flow checked. Coolant mixture is good, fans are coming on, and I have let it sit with the cap off while running like 5 different times, no air comes out.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I am also going to make a sheet metal air dam and try that (my plastic one is missing.)
    You need the airdam or the rad won't get enough air!!

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    I made one, and put it on, and it is doing the same thing. I am going to do some pressure testing and pulling some spark plugs, I am thinking the only thing that it could possibly be is the head gaskets which makes no damn sense at all (I don't know why they would go out.)

Update!!
    I fixed my car. Backstory: I got my car back from the dealership after it had sat for 4 months (I got ran over by a semi, yadda yadda yadda, O'riely Chevrolet had my car for 4 months for a 1 month job.) Part of them repairing my car required a new radiator support to be put in, which means the radiator would be removed.

During reinstallation, they hooked my coolant return line from the (bypassed) throttle body heater to where the overflow hose was supposed to go on the filler neck of the radiator, and hooked the overflow hose up to the place where the TB heater returned (which was under the coolant level on the radiator.) So, when my car got hot the coolant would be pushed from the radiator into the overflow container untill what was left in the radiator boiled, and the coolant had no way of getting back into the system, plus there was no pressure building.

Anyways, now I have a clean radiator, a spare water pump and thermostat, fresh coolant, a new radiator cap, a shiny new air dam, and a car that runs cooler than ever!

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by spawn_ta; 05-17-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

omfg!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I made one, and put it on, and it is doing the same thing. I am going to do some pressure testing and pulling some spark plugs, I am thinking the only thing that it could possibly be is the head gaskets which makes no damn sense at all (I don't know why they would go out.)

Update!!
    I fixed my car. Backstory: I got my car back from the dealership after it had sat for 4 months (I got ran over by a semi, yadda yadda yadda, O'riely Chevrolet had my car for 4 months for a 1 month job.) Part of them repairing my car required a new radiator support to be put in, which means the radiator would be removed.

During reinstallation, they hooked my coolant return line from the (bypassed) throttle body heater to where the overflow hose was supposed to go on the filler neck of the radiator, and hooked the overflow hose up to the place where the TB heater returned (which was under the coolant level on the radiator.) So, when my car got hot the coolant would be pushed from the radiator into the overflow container untill what was left in the radiator boiled, and the coolant had no way of getting back into the system, plus there was no pressure building.

Anyways, now I have a clean radiator, a spare water pump and thermostat, fresh coolant, a new radiator cap, a shiny new air dam, and a car that runs cooler than ever!

Thanks for the help guys.
    That is just wrong!! If I was you I would personally contact the Service Manager and fax him or deliver copies of all the reciepts from parts you spent and tell him you don't want re enburst but you'll be happy with a few free oil changes and a detail or two. And if he acts like a dick tell him thats fine I'll NEVER come back and I'll make sure to tell EVERYONE the mistake you made and what it cost me and you wouldn't even make it right.
    Glad we could help though.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Quote Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28 View Post
    I have a 2000 Z28 and it runs at about 205-210 in the city. I live in LA so im stuck in traffic often. The car is not overheating, however after I turn the engine off I can hear the coolant boiling inside the radiator and can smell the coolant. My fans never go on (havent checked if they go on when the AC is on but I will check today) My guess is that my thermostat is not working. Anybody out there that has any suggestions?? Thanx this is driving me nuts!!
    My 98 Z28 does the same thing. I checked the fans and they work but the coolant boils up and out of the overflow tank. This is starting to piss me off!

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

I've been reading this thread and have a couple I'd questions. 1) does the ac effect the cooling fans(my ac compressor isn't connected)? 2)what's the high and low fan?

now my coolant doesnt boi; and i never smell it, but i just cant take my car on the high way. In the city, i never get over 210, buy as soon as i get on in it just heats up with no end, and i know for a fact the fans do not work

help!
    Last edited by IT_SS; 08-31-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

hmmmm didnt know that

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    so the airdam is important? when i bought my maro it didnt have one, but the fans still worked, the fans didnt stop working until i got the water pump replaced, so what could it be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information