NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

problem with cavalier

First off, I hope I am posting in the right section? Anyways my daily driver has been having an issue with sputtering between 1500 and 2000 rpm when I mash the pedal. I was thinking maybe fuel pump/filter but at highway speeds it cruises just fine. So that leaves ignition. Maybe coil or wires. I replaced fuel filter and plugs about a year ago. Btw the sputtering feels really violent at times and i noticed it doesnt do it when engine is cold. Any input would be appreciated.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I take it you don't have any codes?

Never a bad idea to clean the MAF with some CRC Spray MAF cleaner for starters. Any possibility you have a vacuum leak? If none of these easy fixes help, then it sounds like a spark or fuel issue absent codes.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

If you do not have any codes they I would test for vacuum leaks and clean your MAF and throttle body.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

nope, no check engine lights. Ill try ckeaning the maf and tb thanks for the suggestions

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it never does it when cold? How long into the drive does it start doing it? The list of possibilities is actually fairly long. How many miles on the O2's? The reason I ask is the O2's don't control fueling until the coolant hits a certain temp ( not sure of the temp on the crapalier) so what you're describing *could* be bad O2's. Normally you will get some O2 codes when that happens though. I would exhaust the other options first....check plugs and wires ( you say you swapped plugs but didn't mention wires) and check your fuel pressure and things like that. Cleaning the MAF never hurts like someone else mentioned.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Check the oil and coolant for cross contamination. Cavaliers are known for their head gasket issues on the 2.2 motors.

Like Orion stated it's a long list that can cause the problems you're posting about.

I hugged my niece the day she traded her's in.........

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Yeah unfortunately I am aware of all of the woes that cavaqueers have. But fortunately I have had zero problems with mine the whole year and a half that i have owned mine until now. She has just shy of 200k so I dont expect to not have troubles now and again lol. I like to keep the miles low on the ss so this is just my winter beater to get me to and from work.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it never does it when cold? How long into the drive does it start doing it? The list of possibilities is actually fairly long. How many miles on the O2's? The reason I ask is the O2's don't control fueling until the coolant hits a certain temp ( not sure of the temp on the crapalier) so what you're describing *could* be bad O2's. Normally you will get some O2 codes when that happens though. I would exhaust the other options first....check plugs and wires ( you say you swapped plugs but didn't mention wires) and check your fuel pressure and things like that. Cleaning the MAF never hurts like someone else mentioned.
    This.

Also, you can have stored engine fault codes without the check engine light coming on. Take it to the auto parts store and have them hook up the OBDII scanner and see if anything pops up.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I have a preditor tuner I can scan it with

Thread Information