Gold
    1998 Z28

Power steering pump hose won't stay on!!

The hose got popped off when I jacked the motor up to swap motor mounts - I reinstalled it, everything looked fine, refilled the fluid - but when I start the car it pops the hose off. I have tried reinstalling it + adding a worm style hose clamp below the standard clamp (tried above too) to no avail. Anyone heard of this happening before? I've filled the reservoir a couple times and it keeps blowing all over my garage when I start the car. The hose is not pinched from the pump to the crimped metal connector it goes into... I haven't checked past that.

Thanks
    Tom

black
    2002 WS6

ok, if I get what you are saying, It sounds as if the hose has blown out of the crimp and off the fitting on the pump. If that is the case you'r best bet would be to get a new hose as it would seem top me the you have experianced a hose failure.

Or if you really wnat bullet proof and have the time and money. Look at getting an areoquip set up and running your own. FYI if you can find one Areoquip does make industrial hydrolic hose and chances are it is much cheaper per foot then the stainless braid and the aluminum fittings.

Gold
    1998 Z28

well, the hose looks ok - it just won't stay on the pump. even with multiple clamps holding it on.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Hose is pinched, or the elbow is.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

I know this sounds crazy but.....reversed hoses? Wrong pump (reverse rotation?) Or...like already said, some cink or obstruction inside the pump? Goood luck.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Which hose is it? The big hose that has metal or just the little return hose? If its the big metal to rubber hose, I'd advise you to buy another one. They generally have to hold atleast 1,800 psi! The return hose, on the other hand, shouldn't build up much pressure at all...

Gold
    1998 Z28

yeah it was the one with metal to rubber... i just figured out the problem and I sure feel like a retard! when the hose popped of and was spilling fluid everywhere I had plugged the bottom of the reservoir with a golf tee looking plastic object and forgot it was in there... the hose kept popping off and it seemed like a pressure buildup, finally I remembered. That's the problem with having to wait 3 weeks before finishing a project like the motor mounts here. she runs great now, although still a little banging from the y-pipe i'm guessing during good throttle... even with poly tranny and motor mounts... i need to investigate more - i've already bent the bracket out that is real close to the pipe

thanks for all the help!

Tom

Thread Information