Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Arrow Power Steering Fluid Leak

Hello Folks,

I serched and did not find any post on Stop Leaks.

After constantly diagnosing my unreveal leak, I have determined that it's powersteering fluid where the steering shaft and geer meet. This is a Chilton Service Manual image of where I'm speaking about:

This is the color of the leak:

After I degreased and cleaned the underside last week, for 4 days there were no leaks, until yesterday. This is hinting to me that the leak is very mild.

Since the leak is not of the major, I purchased these two products from Kragen today hoping it may fix the problem:

The Lucas Power Steering Stop leak brand was mentioned by the salesman their to be of the best brand. I paid $10 for it compared to others at $4. I'm sure the leak is from a seal or a gasket between the joint.

Any suggestions or advice on this steering fluid leakage issue would be nice. Your experience with the stop leak or a repair in this mentioned area would also be very helpful to myself and anyone else experiencing this problem.

Thanks a bunch Partners,
    Matthew

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would reccmoend replacing the gear box, Those stop leaks are "temp" fixes. I mean They can work anywhere from a day or even years. Just luck of the draw. The lucas stop leak is a good product so i would use that one out of the two your purchased.
    Just follow the directions and you may luck out, or just replace the gear box and call it a day. not too difficult.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Question The Gear Box?

Yes Sir! I am going to go with that stop leak first to see if it seals up the steering gasket leak. If it's only for a year, it's cool with me. I'm thinking by that time I could trade it in. The leak is so minor that it could a person mad where it leaks one day and not the next.

You mentioned the "gear box"...... I didn't know that the steering system had something known as that...... Are you sure that's what it's called?

Matthew

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Yes Sir! I am going to go with that stop leak first to see if it seals up the steering gasket leak. If it's only for a year, it's cool with me. I'm thinking by that time I could trade it in. The leak is so minor that it could a person mad where it leaks one day and not the next.

You mentioned the "gear box"...... I didn't know that the steering system had something known as that...... Are you sure that's what it's called?

Matthew
    i think he is referring to the steering rack. These cars do not have a steering gear(box)

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

IM sorry, poor choice of words "gearbox", i ws refering to the rack. Where its leaking.
    J

Thread Information