black on red
    2001 firebird formula

possible oil related problem

ok guys i need some help.
    my car is throwing the "change oil" light but i have apporx. 1100 miles on the new oil and filter. its not leaking, the oil from the dipstick is looking clean (still that honey color) its not registering a code at the auto part places and what worries me is that:

while the chage oil light is on there is a low pitched whinning sound and i cant figure out what part of the motor its comming from. to be specific on what it sounds like have you ever been next to a procharged car at idle? that whistling sound but at a lower pitch and more aggressive.

its only happened at the most for 15seconds when i turn the car on. when the noise or light turn off i usually just turn the car off and turn it back on and it doesnt happen again until a cold start.

anyone ever run into this before?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I have to ask. The last time you changed the oil did you remember to reset the oil change light?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by formulajman View Post
    ok guys i need some help.
    my car is throwing the "change oil" light but i have apporx. 1100 miles on the new oil and filter. its not leaking, the oil from the dipstick is looking clean (still that honey color) its not registering a code at the auto part places and what worries me is that:

while the chage oil light is on there is a low pitched whinning sound and i cant figure out what part of the motor its comming from. to be specific on what it sounds like have you ever been next to a procharged car at idle? that whistling sound but at a lower pitch and more aggressive.

its only happened at the most for 15seconds when i turn the car on. when the noise or light turn off i usually just turn the car off and turn it back on and it doesnt happen again until a cold start.

anyone ever run into this before?
    The whinning noise you are refering to sounds more like the AIR pump turning on. Is your car stock? this is normal operation.

They're not related. The change oil light is just the GM oil life system - was it reset last oil change? Couple ways to reset it 1) turn key to run, engine off, press and hold the trip/oil reset button on the dash down for 12 seconds 2) turn key to run, engine off, depress the accelerator 3 or 4 times quickly. The light stays on as a reminder briefly at startup then goes off. The whining sould you hear on cold starts is most likely the air pump cycling.

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

no the car is not stock. the A.I.R. and EGR were relocated due to space constraints but have given me no problems. and i have reset the change oil light but havent had a cold start to check it out. its really humid and damp in the mornings

Thread Information