Gold
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Possible blown Head Gasket

Alright gents, here's the situation:

Got a 1999 Pontiac Firebird with the 3.8L. I just had a lot replaced it in (friend drove it up and over a curb out here) to include: Coolant hoses, all new spark plugs and spark plug wires, oil pan, alternator, serpentine belt, heat tubes (best i can name them...transfer the heat into the cab), cadallatic (sp?) converter.

Ok, so here's the problem: i'm leaking oil on the passenger side of the engine, behind the Oil intake nozzle. It doesn't leak a LOT, mind you, but its enough to where after a half hour or so it'll burn it and the smell leaks into the cab. Also, another note: every other time I turn on the car the Low Oil light comes on, however, if i turn the car off and turn the car back on it'll turn off.

Any suggestions what exactly is it, though I feel its a head gasket, and approx how much it'll cost.

Thanks for any and all feedback gents!

~Kent

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Besides engine running rough, loss of compression or acceleration there are two ways to tell if you have a head gasket leak:

1) - look at your oil dip stick - does it look like chocolate milk? also check the oil fill cap, you may have the same residue on it too.

2) Open radiator cap - look at the coolant, oil and coolant do not mix, just like oil and vinegar. You will see droplets of oil in the coolant.

if you have either you have a high chance of a head gasket leak.

(In regards to below; This is hard to tell for sure that is why I don't count it as a fool proof way to determine.)

3) smoke in your exhaust, in cases of really bad leaks coolant can get into the exhaust. It will smell like burnt coolant.

Smittro is our V6 motor god here. PM him and I'm sure he'll be willing to help.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 09-22-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

In addition to what Scott said, if you have a blown head gasket there is a possibility that:

- car will run hot or overheat
    - white smoke will come out from the tailpipes.

Gold
    2002 Trans Am WS6

well its hard to tell at the moment cause I'm still in Cali and the car is all the way in OH...but when i was driving it i never saw any white smoke and the only smell was that of burnt oil. The car has been staying in it's norm as far as temp wise (about 180 i do believe). it's never overheated since I had the repairs done, and before that it did once on me while I was driving and I pulled over and put fresh coolant in it. I'll be sure to check the dipstick and coolant when I get home....after I get the starter replaced since it decided to stop working this morning when my brother tried driving home from school in it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Moved to General Help.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I posted in your other thread, but I'll post it here.

3.8s are notorious for leaking oil out of the valve covers. My 2000 GTP looses over a quart between oil changes.

The best thing you can do it remove the valve covers, remove the gaskets, clean both mating surfaces, install new gaskets, and torque the valve covers down using the PROPER torque sequence.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

As far as the low oil light coming on, you could have a bad oil pressure switch. After a while, they can fail, can be broken while being installed(overtightening), and they crack where the plastic housing meets the metal threaded part and leak.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I posted in your other thread, but I'll post it here.

3.8s are notorious for leaking oil out of the valve covers. My 2000 GTP looses over a quart between oil changes.

The best thing you can do it remove the valve covers, remove the gaskets, clean both mating surfaces, install new gaskets, and torque the valve covers down using the PROPER torque sequence.
    I had this issue on my 3.8 also.

Thread Information