Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Possessed headlights!!

This is a discussion on Possessed headlights!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by goof4080 How old is your battery? one year red top. alternator working well...

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    How old is your battery?
    one year red top. alternator working well

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Hey John, it sounds as if your plastic gears have alot of their teeth missing and the tick tick ticking is the headlight actuator motor spinning and hitting the broken teeth knubs. The headlight actuator motor does not have a stop switch, so it will run until it runs your battery down. The only reason it stops when your gears are in good shape is due to the headlight actuating to the stop bar and torqueing which heats up an element which opens the circuit and thereby stopping battery juice from flowing...that's the simplest way I can explain it. Sounds like your gears are gone. Good thing you ordered brass gears, because sounds like you are going to need them. I ordered mine from Rodney Dickman, where did you order yours from? Here's the layout when I did mine....

The "T" metal brace in the pics comes with his kit. It mounts using the same bolts that hold the motor on the mounting surface and comes with a plastic insert that takes the pressure off of the side cover which bypasses the glue joint having to shoulder all of the torque that the motor exerts at open stop and closed stop. It comes with epoxy and be sure to clean the glue surfaces extremely well making sure absolutely NO grease is on the mating surfaces. The epoxy glue joint AND the "T" brace assure that it will never come off. It surely should last the life of your car! Hope this helps!

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

ordered them from the same place as you should be getting them soon
    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Hey John, it sounds as if your plastic gears have alot of their teeth missing and the tick tick ticking is the headlight actuator motor spinning and hitting the broken teeth knubs. The headlight actuator motor does not have a stop switch, so it will run until it runs your battery down. The only reason it stops when your gears are in good shape is due to the headlight actuating to the stop bar and torqueing which heats up an element which opens the circuit and thereby stopping battery juice from flowing...that's the simplest way I can explain it. Sounds like your gears are gone. Good thing you ordered brass gears, because sounds like you are going to need them. I ordered mine from Rodney Dickman, where did you order yours from? Here's the layout when I did mine....
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    The "T" metal brace in the pics comes with his kit. It mounts using the same bolts that hold the motor on the mounting surface and comes with a plastic insert that takes the pressure off of the side cover which bypasses the glue joint having to shoulder all of the torque that the motor exerts at open stop and closed stop. It comes with epoxy and be sure to clean the glue surfaces extremely well making sure absolutely NO grease is on the mating surfaces. The epoxy glue joint AND the "T" brace assure that it will never come off. It surely should last the life of your car! Hope this helps!

Red

Awesome. That will take care of your ticking, grinding, slow actuating problems. Does it do it when you set your alarm using the remote?

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

no, never had a problem while using the key fob
    Awesome. That will take care of your ticking, grinding, slow actuating problems. Does it do it when you set your alarm using the remote?

Red

Hmmm that's odd. Mine and from what Jay said in a previous post, his also did the grinding thing when he set his alarm. That is the only other time it would do it is when I turn the lights on or off, and when I set my alarm. I never could figure out why the lights cycled up and down when the gear had teeth missing. Perhaps it sent voltage to the headlight actuators during the locking procedure to make sure all systems were secure and in the closed position....and since there were teeth missing, the headlight motor was able to start up and would cycle the headlights up and down.... I'm curious why yours doesn't....

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

nope never had a grinding noise. the lights went down no problem if I cycled the on off switch. but now it takes a long time for them to go down.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I hope the gears help you out. I never heard the motors pulsating like yours all the time. the only other thing I can think of is the headlight module. keep us posted.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

can you tell me where the module is located?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I hope the gears help you out. I never heard the motors pulsating like yours all the time. the only other thing I can think of is the headlight module. keep us posted.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

doing some research sounds like the problem is the control module The Headlight Control Module turns the headlight Actuators on and off. Senses load when the headlights are fully up or down. makes sense as to why they keep on trying to lower and why they wont go down.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyman View Post
    doing some research sounds like the problem is the control module The Headlight Control Module turns the headlight Actuators on and off. Senses load when the headlights are fully up or down. makes sense as to why they keep on trying to lower and why they wont go down.
    I'm really thinking is more related to the module than the gear because the motors are pulsating all the time not just when you are using the headlights or not. I never heard of anyone having issues with the module. It's always been the gears when it is related to the headlight motors. The module is located next to the closest fuse box to the front bumper on the drivers side. What is making me think is the module is the fact that is both headlights. It's kinda of rare that both headlights will go bad at the same time. I guess everything is possible...I will upload a few pics in a few minutes.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-13-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

here is from the service manual:

Here is from my car:

The module has the "guide" on it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ordered them from the same place as you should be getting them soon
    I got my gears from Rodney Dickman as well and have last me almost 5 five yrs with no issues. These will last you forever.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

thank you so much, I really do appreciate the help!! awesome pics
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    here is from the service manual:
    Click for full size
    Here is from my car:
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

The module has the "guide" on it.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

well replaced the module, still have the crazy problem. I guess the headlight motors are next to replace.

Red

John, are both headlights going up and down at the same rate and at the same time?

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

nope. they don't go immediately down, they take a long time. passenger goes down first then when it's almost down the right one goes down. but once down the motors are still trying to go down.
    John, are both headlights going up and down at the same rate and at the same time?
    they both go up perfectly fine

Red

nope. they don't go immediately down, they take a long time. passenger goes down first then when it's almost down the right one goes down. but once down the motors are still trying to go down. they both go up perfectly fine
    This may be a long shot, but from the sound of it, your motors seem to be working fine. If you are hearing them spin, that is. And it seems like you would have to for them to go down independently of each other and go up ok...I wouldn't replace the motors. Here's the long shot....entertaining the idea that both plastic gears inside each of the right and left motors have stripped out and are only moving the headlights slowly because there are only knubs instead of gear teeth. Still scratching my head as to why they are taking turns going down.....and why they go up at the proper speed simultaneously.....Anyone else like to diagnose this issue???

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

the weirdest part is why, when they are down the motors keep trying to close. they will keep pulsing for hours unless I remove the fuses for the motors. I already replaced the control module. I already have the motors and the replacement gear so I'm gonna put in new motors. then tear apart the old ones to see what's up.

Red

I wonder if the keyway has sheared on one of the shafts where the plastic gears are. These motors are designed to stop when they encounter resistance at either full open or full close...the only way they could keep running is if they are NOT encountering "stop". Another possibility would be that the motor has backed off the housing enough to not be fully engaged into the worm gear. There are tabs that the motor is held onto the housing with that can become loose and cause the very issues you are experiencing. Look at the pics I posted with the housing cover off and you will see a rusted part...that is the tab which is one of I think two tabs that hold the motor onto the housing...if those are not bent closely up against the housing, the internal worm gear will not fully engage with the plastic or brass gear for that matter.... Just something further that needs to be checked while you have it disassembled and are replacing parts...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information