Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

Possessed headlights!!

So doing some finishing touches on my car (98 Trans am) turn off my headlights and they stay in the up position. so turn them on again shut off the high beams and then try to shut them off, They close. But then I'm hearing the headlight motors both sides have a noise like a rapid heartbeat. I put my finger on the knobs you use to turn them up and down and they are pulsating. wait like 15 minutes still doing it. drive it home turn lights off and on, no problem Any ideas??

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sounds like your plastic gears need to be upgraded to brass.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

See that's the weird thing both motors are less than 3 years, and they open and close fine now, So I'm not really worried, it's just a little crazy but thanks for the advice I will look into it if they start screwing up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Sounds like your plastic gears need to be upgraded to brass.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

think I figured out the problem, when I was putting on my headlight covers the motors again were failing to close. I noticed the passenger headlight was out. I disconnected the harness to the passenger headlights, and the motor and the headlight on the driver side worked perfectly. cleaned out the harness and reconnected it and the lights closed, but then failed again. I am going to remove the connector and hardwire the wires directly. I bet that will solve the problem

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Hey John, I have been thinking about hardwiring my harness directly as well. The corrosion inside the connectors is unreal, but guess I should expect it with the car originally being driven in Maine where snow, and the resulting road salts corrode everything including but not limited to the brakes and calipers, but that is another post. My high beams do not work, even though I have replaced the lights....at any rate, could you let me know how the hardwire process goes? And if it fixes your problem? Thanks man.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

no problem, hoping to do it tomorrow night. I will let you know how it goes
    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Hey John, I have been thinking about hardwiring my harness directly as well. The corrosion inside the connectors is unreal, but guess I should expect it with the car originally being driven in Maine where snow, and the resulting road salts corrode everything including but not limited to the brakes and calipers, but that is another post. My high beams do not work, even though I have replaced the lights....at any rate, could you let me know how the hardwire process goes? And if it fixes your problem? Thanks man.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

hey john it could be the passenger gear causing the issue. Have you done the 180 degrees fix on these current headlight motors? The headlight motors use only half of the gear. You have to remove the arm that connects to the motor and rotate the motor gear 180 degrees manually and reinstall the arm back. The corrosion in the connectors can cause issues as well.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    hey john it could be the passenger gear causing the issue. Have you done the 180 degrees fix on these current headlight motors? The headlight motors use only half of the gear. You have to remove the arm that connects to the motor and rotate the motor gear 180 degrees manually and reinstall the arm back. The corrosion in the connectors can cause issues as well.
    thanks if the wire thing doesn't fix it I will try the gear thing

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

just ordered a brass gear kit just in case, if the gear isn't the problem it seems like it's only a matter of time before it goes. From the posts I read here it's really common.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

well the hardwire thing didn't do the trick. it worked a few times then stopped working. kind of at a loss. going to have to try thy the gear thing when it comes in. just hoping that it's the passenger gear is bad . with these cars you never know they are so screwy

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The gears do seem to be common problem. Hope it fixes it up for you.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

well for shit and giggles I did the hardwire thing to the drivers side and viola the lights seem to be working fine again. well we will see how long that lasts, but I'm hoping for a while

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyman View Post
    well the hardwire thing didn't do the trick. it worked a few times then stopped working. kind of at a loss. going to have to try thy the gear thing when it comes in. just hoping that it's the passenger gear is bad . with these cars you never know they are so screwy
    try the 180 trick 1st before you have to break apart the motor.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

well everything worked great for about 2 days. now when I shut off my headlights they stay up, they go tick tick for a long time and the head lights very, very, slowely start lowering first the passenger one then the driver. problem is even when they are down I get the tick tick for hours. I can see the headlight manual adjusters turning down when the lights go down and can see them pulsating corresponding to the ticking. I have to remove the headlight fuses to stop them ticking what the hell!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well everything worked great for about 2 days. now when I shut off my headlights they stay up, they go tick tick for a long time and the head lights very, very, slowely start lowering first the passenger one then the driver. problem is even when they are down I get the tick tick for hours. I can see the headlight manual adjusters turning down when the lights go down and can see them pulsating corresponding to the ticking. I have to remove the headlight fuses to stop them ticking what the hell!
    you mentioned before that if you disconnect one of the headlights the problem stops? When I had mine it will make the grinding noise on the passenger side for 5 secs after I close the headlight and the headlight will pop up and down with grinding noise after I turn on off the car alarm with the FOB.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I changed the gear and the problem stopped. Is the grinding noise on one headlight?

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

there is no grinding noise whatsoever both make ticking noises lick a very loud clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I changed the gear and the problem stopped. Is the grinding noise on one headlight?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

there is no grinding noise whatsoever both make ticking noises lick a very loud clock.
    understood and it is both headlights correct? Have you tried unplugging one of them at a time and see if the ticking continues with one specific heading only?

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

I hardwired both. Is there anything besides the headlight switch and motors that can go wrong ?? when I pull the fuse to one headlight the other still ticks and vice versa. so for now I just pulled both fuses out
    Last edited by jonnyman; 07-12-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

How old is your battery?

Thread Information