Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Thumbs up Porting Stock heads & Install 224R cam?

Hey guys. I have a 98 Z28 M6 w/60,000 miles and plan to have my stock heads ported by a master porter & select a solid street performing cam. From the research on this site, it sounds like the 224R cam from TR on 112LSA is a great all around street cam. My question is should I change the stock valves? How about the Rockers? Do I need to get different push rod lengths? My buddy is suggesting I change these parts but their expensive to replace (except the pushrods). I've already removed almost everything from the top end, just 4 more bolts on the passenger side head, the timing cover & crank pulley. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! jb3golf

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You don't need to repalce the valves unless you're going bigger. Rockers are great as is, you should get different length pushrods there is a formula to check but most say to get a pushrod length checker, some just get the stock length in chromoly your choice, either way you need to replace the stock pushrods with something stronger. You need a timing chain, and some valvle springs to deal with the lift. Most reccomend an oil pump since they wear out, and you will need a new timing cover gasket. Do you have head gaskets? OOH OOH and you need new lifters with the trays. Ask how much it would cost to mill the heads you can easily go down to 62cc some go down to 59cc.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok. Thanks. I appreciate the info. I was looking to purchase the TR Cam package that includes choice of Cam, hardened pushrods and their Patriot Gold dual valve springs set up. I wonder the type of pushrods TR uses in this package? Chromoly? I plan to purchase the cam & head gasket set from TR as well....I think for $260...Has anyone else purchased the TR cam package? It retails for $720 complete.....

Thread Information