HiLL99SS

Ported MAF Ends...Bad/Good?

I was wondering if there is a positive or negitive effect if you machine port these ends with a stock MAF sensor. Of course this would include descreening the MAF also. Any tips or ideas on wether or not to do this. Thanks Fellas

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    I did this on my 02 Z, but didnt really notice a difference. If your going to do it yourself thats cool, but I wouldnt waste money on paying someone to do it, or buying one thats already been done, i.e aftermarket MAF. Just be EXTRA carefull not to get anything on those wire sensors in the middle of the MAF or you'll be sorry.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

i've always heard not to mess with the maf...hardly any gains and you'll probably jack it up...and have to buy a new one

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    I was really carefull with mine not to damage it and didnt, but ya, its not really worth it in the end.

Anything you do on the intake side of the motor will help whether it be a slight increase in power or an increase in the motor's VE, either are good. I did mine with a wheel grinder mounted to a drill & then sanded smooth afterward. Had to remove the "o" rings on either side of the MAF because they got in the way. When the ends were re-installed, used high temp. silicone to seal the connections. It was easy. I'm talking about the MAF ends, not the MAF itself. These are the extensions that couple the MAF to the the filter & the throttle body sides of the intake tubing.

Can't comment on descreening as my MAF has no screen & don't know the effects of this mod..

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

i descreend mine the other day, i noticed a big difference throughout the entire power band, snappier throttle response as well. just make sure that everything between the airbox and the maf has to go through the air filter, get any crap on that sensor and your screwed.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you retain the stock MAF you'll have no issues. As far as the descreening and ported maf ends, it won't harm your motor at all or throw a code like an aftermarket MAF. I have granatelli MAF ends whit are fully open and smooth. The ends are plastic. Good mod overall

Old Skool like an 8-track A-BomB's Avatar
    '05 Cadillac CTS-V

i had ported MAF's at one time and my car use to ping like crazy. i went back to the stocker and the pinging went away. i would not do it if i were you. that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by A-BomB
    i had ported MAF's at one time and my car use to ping like crazy. i went back to the stocker and the pinging went away. i would not do it if i were you. that's just my opinion.
    Shoulda had it tuned. Ping was probably from a lean mix created by the increased air flow. Adding fuel would have added power & eliminated the ping.
    Normally, the ECU (ECM) should have been able to adjust to the increased air flow with the proper amount of fuel, but, if ping were evident, a wide band check of the A/F mix would have explained the problem. It takes fuel & air to make power. Too much of either will create a lean or a rich condition.

'05 Cadillac CTS-V

once i put the stocker back on it stopped. BTW, the car is tuned with a cam.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

1/2 ass tune heres the best solution...GET RID OF THE MAF!! tune it for SD. thats what im doing

Dont worry Alex, Ill do yours too

'05 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    1/2 ass tune heres the best solution...GET RID OF THE MAF!! tune it for SD. thats what im doing

Dont worry Alex, Ill do yours too

i had the MAF problem 2 years ago.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

still, speed density is better...no maf!

'05 Cadillac CTS-V

lol

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Shoulda had it tuned. Ping was probably from a lean mix created by the increased air flow. Adding fuel would have added power & eliminated the ping.
    Normally, the ECU (ECM) should have been able to adjust to the increased air flow with the proper amount of fuel, but, if ping were evident, a wide band check of the A/F mix would have explained the problem. It takes fuel & air to make power. Too much of either will create a lean or a rich condition.
    BINGO!!!, 100% on the money, I replaced my stock MAF ends with the MBA ported no screen MAF ends that Thunder Racing Sells, I installed them 1 week before a schedueld dyno tune for a TC, rearend gear change.

On my first WOT run the vehicle pinged like crazy@ higher RPM's, I was running @ 15.5:1 A/F ratio (due to the ported MAF ends). After the dyno tune my WOT A/F ratio was set to a flat 13.5 to 13.2 @5400 RPM. I actually lost H.P. due to the ineffeciency of the converter coupled to the 3.73 gears, however it is far more fun to drive the vehicle after these changes

SteveC

Thread Information