maroon
    2000 Camaro

popping noise after installing Lt's

Hello,

I am new to the forum game but here goes. I have a 2000 Camaro LS1 which I have just installed Jet-Hot LT's and a Jet Hot Y pipe. From what I have read from you guys the EGR must be turned off when you use Off Road headers (which I did). I had a friend of mine put the exhaust on and he told me the with the EGR hooked up the car would cut out during idle and driving. He told me he unhooked it and the car seemed to run better. While I was limping my car back home I could hear the motor doing small back firing through the exhaust. My first question is is this hurting my motor??? I don't plan on driving it until I can get it tuned which will be next week. Does anybody know if this problem will be solved by the tune. Also should I go ahead and have it dynoed while the car is getting tuned. The price for a tune and dyno is $375 just for a tune is $125.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

i have a '00 and just did LTs, ORY, 78mm TB, no EGR/AIR, 160 t-stat, and LS6 intake and my car runs great without a tune ...gonna have it dyno tuned this saturday though. you might have something else wrong...mabye a burnt plug wire or mabye a plug wire is hanging off??? double check everything

Well, I have friends who have done !AIR and !EGR without any tuning and no problems. Maybe it was just relearning. Anything serious will make the SES flash, if you have the light on have the code(s) read at Autozone. My car pops a little, especially after a restart before it's fully warmed up - and just a catback. Sounds like just a tuning issue to me, maybe a little rich? With new LT's I'd get a dyno tune. Like the previous poster said, could be something as simple as a plug wire loose/arcing on the headers somewhere causing a misfire.

maroon
    2000 Camaro

thats good to know the SES light will flash if there is a major problem. the light is on steady right now and I have called the shop that will be tuning the car to set up an appointment. I hope they can fix this problem the car does sound different with the full exhaust and I can't wait to get it running right to go play

get a dyno tune, squeeze as much hp out of those lt's as possible. check the plugs and wires. otherwise from that backfiring is usually when unburnt fuel hits the inside of the headers and then ignites and fires, but i doubt you are rich, and if you are the dyno tune will fix it.
    D'Agostino Racing.Com
    954-583-8884
    877-DRI-POWER
    Specializing in Late Model GM and Ford Sports Cars

maroon
    2000 Camaro

Cool thanks for the info. I am calling the shop now to set up for a dyno run and tune

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I'd recheck your friends work like everyone else is saying....make sure plugs/wires are all the way in/on, o2's aren't messed up..etc

Could also just be a back pressure pop you're hearing....but if it's running like shit I doubt that's it.

maroon
    2000 Camaro

Cool thanks do anybody know if I will be hurting the motor driving the car like this. The reason why I am asking is I am going to have to drive about 6 miles to the dyno/tune shop. Its all interstate. I won't be driving it until i get it tuned thou

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Nah probably isn't really hurting anything. If you check your wiring and everything is fine I wouldn't be worried. Deffinetly get the dyno tune. Without it they are just plugging in some new info and sending you on your way. With they Dyno tune they will show you exactly what the tune did for you and be able to tweak it to your setup.

maroon
    2000 Camaro

Thanks I was thinking that but I figured you guys would know more than I would.

Thread Information