Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pontiac G6 Fuel Pump

This is a discussion on Pontiac G6 Fuel Pump within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; tell me about it......been there and done that. Last straw for me was a simple pad change I did for ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

tell me about it......been there and done that. Last straw for me was a simple pad change I did for a girl that works for my wife. It was over thanksgiving weekend a couple years ago. Just wanted new pads on her car so I told her $50 and I'd do pads all the way around. Took the front tires off and the inside bad on the passenger side was gone. I don't mean gone as in worn out.....I mean gone as in frigin gone. The cylinder was what was pushing on the rotor to stop the car. Drivers side was almost in the same condition. Everything was frozen into place so a sledge hammer and 2 days later, with 2 trips to Columbus an hour away, everything was back together. That was the last car I worked on for money. People don't take care of their vehicles so the last thing I want to do is work on some filthy, rusted, and neglected POS.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i had those as well. i know the feeling.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    tell me about it......been there and done that. Last straw for me was a simple pad change I did for a girl that works for my wife. It was over thanksgiving weekend a couple years ago. Just wanted new pads on her car so I told her $50 and I'd do pads all the way around. Took the front tires off and the inside bad on the passenger side was gone. I don't mean gone as in worn out.....I mean gone as in frigin gone. The cylinder was what was pushing on the rotor to stop the car. Drivers side was almost in the same condition. Everything was frozen into place so a sledge hammer and 2 days later, with 2 trips to Columbus an hour away, everything was back together. That was the last car I worked on for money. People don't take care of their vehicles so the last thing I want to do is work on some filthy, rusted, and neglected POS.
    lol i agree.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I feel ya there. I used to have a friend who expected me to work on her POS abused Grand Prix for free but then would charge me for a hair cut. GTFO.

The people who I was helping with the G6 have helped me and my family out a lot over the years and I figured taking a couple hours and throwing a fuel pump in the car for them was the least I could do. Just didn't expect to run into such a hassle. I still didn't mind helping out, I just get frusterated when I can't figure something out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my sister in law brought over her POS explorer for me to put brakes on one time. Her pansy husband couldn't get the bolts broke loose to get the caliper off.....yeah right. She already had all the parts, or so I thought, so I went ahead and did them for her. I tear into it and it's on a Sunday after I'd spent the night before out until 4am fishing for catfish. I was tired and in a mood. haha I tear into it and discover that it's a 1 piece rotor/hub so I have to do bearings too which she didn't have. Shop here in town was already closed so I went to columbus and bought bearings. Come back and proceed. Get ready to put the first rotor on and it won't go on.....that's when I notice she had the wrong rotor. I start laying out a nice long line of cuss words and her or my wife said something.....don't really remember what it was......but I really went off on them then. I'm now looking at a 2nd trip to columbus so I start getting in the car right about the time my father in law is pulling in the driveway. He gets out laughing because both girls are in the garage crying. haha I get the right rotors and put them on. Take it for a test drive and "thump thump thump thump".....wasn't even the front rotors........the rear rotor had a crack in it. I put all my shit up and went to bed and left it on jack stands. haha Her dad gave her a ride home, I got up the next day and finished the job, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

LOL, good story.

I hate explorers with a passion. In my eight years as a tech, I think half of that time was spent working POS explorers. I worked in a tranny shop for a couple of years and I swear we did 2 of those explorer 5r55e trannys a week. PITA just to check the fluid level, no dipstick, trans temp between 130 - 140, pull the plug that's in the middle of the other plug and use your mental powers to judge if the little stream of fluid coming out is just right. Then if it needs fluid, of course there isn't a fill hole, you have to shoot it up through the plug thats in the middle of the other plug, arghh. I'm getting kind of pissed just thinking about it.

They are basically making these vehicles now days impossible to service yourself without training or special tools.
    Okay, I'm done ranting now.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah....the no dipstick on the tranny thing is getting pretty popular. Guess it puts it in perspective. I used to, and still do, bitch because they never have a drain on the tranny pans. Makes doing those filters more of a mess than they have to be. I hate working on fords in general with a passion. I basically just refuse to work on them anymore. My wife wanted an edge or one of those types of POS a while back.....I told her if she did she'll be out getting a mechanic. I won't mess with them. I spent 2 days trying to trouble shoot an electrical issue on a exploder one time for a guy I used to work with. Narrowed it down to the multifunction switch but wasn't 100% on it. Told him that was my best guess and he decided not to put the money into it so that was 2 days wasted for me. Week later he calls me and said the tranny took a shit. haha

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah but at least most other cars without a dipstick have a fill hole. It would be impossible for someone to fill the trans on one of those exploders using quarts of fluid. But yeah, no dipstick is stupid all together.

I share your hate for ford, seems as if most of my nightmare jobs over the years included the blue oval. I like some of their body stylings and I like their differentials but everything else is crap.

I saw one of those Edge's the other day and thought it would be kind of cool to retro fit a V8 rear drive into one. Maybe an LS3, lol. Built ford tough with Chevy stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information