Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Poly torque arm bushing and clank noise

Hi guys. 98 TA 100k A4, LS6 intake, LCA's, panhard bar, Tunebyfrost basic tune, Borla exhaust. I have a few questions about this poly bushing. I replaced it because my stock one was badly worn. I put everything back no problem and tighten the bolts the best I can. I don't go to the track and i take off hard a few times a week.

Will this bushing promote more damage to the tranny case (the rear part of it)? I read the casing can get damaged due to the torque arm been connected to it. Will it be a good investment to get the torque arm bushing relocation bracket? is almost $230 ouch. I'm planning to getting the 2 point bolt on SFC by UMI.

I have also notice a clank notice in the floor/rear of the car since I replaced this bushing. It happens when the car is shifting from 1st to 2nd gear(A4). Do I need to crank the bolts more? The only thing that I see that could be causing problems is that flat curvy metal piece of metal behind the tranny crossmember. I tighten the bolts with the left side of the car up on a jack, not sure if this can cause the problem I know alot of the suspension parts need to be adjusted with the car loaded but i can't reach the rear end bolts(not enought clearance when is on the ground). The clearance between the exhaust and this piece is like 1/4 inch. I see some marks on the exhaust from the piece. I removed the piece to check out and I still feel the clanking noise but it is less. What is the purpose of this metal piece? just protect the exhaust? Can it be removed permanent?

Anything else that could be causing this clank noise? Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-11-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Thread Information