Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

which plugs are best to use

This is a discussion on which plugs are best to use within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; the e3 diAMOND fire pick up at least 3-5 horsepower on an ls1. saw it on horsepower tv when they ...

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

the e3 diAMOND fire pick up at least 3-5 horsepower on an ls1. saw it on horsepower tv when they dynoed a ls1 with headers, cold air this morning.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

1. Dyno is not accurate enough to determine a 3-4HP gain or loss. I do not doubt that is what they showed.....but I could have peed in the engine and it would have read differently than the prior pull.
    2. Engine was probably cool for the second run.
    3. See #1.

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

true, it is advertising.

Nero
    2006 gto

Anyone tried the Pulstar Pulse Plugs?? Look em up on google or whatever search engine you use... The tech seems sound, but Im kind of reluctant to try something in the Goat without hearing about another LSx owner's experience.

Red
    2004 gto

I just installed a set of E3s in my 04 goat. The guys on Horsepower TV uses them and they got almost 5 hp after installing them. I like them. Anyone else??
    Last edited by matman40; 06-13-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

E3'S ARE A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

I don't care if yo have 10 ground electrode's you will only get 1 spark. It's just like split fire's if they actually worked and you gained ANY power we would all run them.
    Shit for that matter at least the Pro Stock guys would run them if you gained squat. It's not like they are not allowed because they gain power. Most of the time their whole field is only .015-.030 of difference it ET's.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Anyone tried the Pulstar Pulse Plugs?? Look em up on google or whatever search engine you use... The tech seems sound, but Im kind of reluctant to try something in the Goat without hearing about another LSx owner's experience.
    I would like to know if anyone has tried them yet too. The ad I saw was pretty impressive but most advertising BS is.

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    TR6's

and nitrous...
    me too

White
    2001 Z28

Don't fall for the Bosch Platinum Plus 4s either. They don't work, will come apart in any high compression motor.

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

Subscribing.

Red
    2004 gto

I said earlier that I tried a set of E3's and I like them. Wrong..I been running them for about a month and they suck. it seems like I get worse mileage and the power is not there. YES they are a waste of money. I'm going with TR55's.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    I would like to know if anyone has tried them yet too. The ad I saw was pretty impressive but most advertising BS is.
    but did you see how much they cost, they are frickin expensive

blk
    01 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    So have you tried these yet or know of anyone who has?
    seems like the same thing as nology wires

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'm very curious about those new Pulse plugs, I see the ads all the time claiming how they produce a much more intense spark and such. However, I'm very reluctant to try them for $25 a plug until I see some real evidence and some reviews from people out in the real world.

Just noticed on their website it says NEVER set the gap of a Pulstar plug to greater than .040". If I remember correctly, the stock gap on the LS1 is .060. If these plugs are so great, why doesn't it have enough power to bridge a factory specified .060" gap??
    Last edited by Wesman; 09-08-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    If these plugs are so great, why doesn't it have enough power to bridge a factory specified .060" gap??
    Got NOTHING to do with it.

Exotic metal plugs center electrode is much smaller requiring lower voltage to fire.
    Our engines were designed for larger gaps due to the lower emissions they produce with our ignition systems. (Our systems can fire the large gap)
    Exotic metal plugs were designed for applications where plug changes are costly time & consuming.
    They work fine in our systems & reduce plug change intervals.
    The harder metals wear slower than the nickle alloys found in common plugs producing an easy to fire, long wearing plug, that still produces a good burn & low emissions
    Last edited by rbob93; 09-08-2008 at 03:05 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Got NOTHING to do with it.

Exotic metal plugs center electrode is much smaller requiring lower voltage to fire.
    Our engines were designed for larger gaps due to the lower emissions they produce with our ignition systems. (Our systems can fire the large gap)
    Exotic metal plugs were designed for applications where plug changes are costly time & consuming.
    They work fine in our systems & reduce plug change intervals.
    The harder metals wear slower than the nickle alloys found in common plugs producing an easy to fire, long wearing plug, that still produces a good burn & low emissions
    I run AC Delco Iridiums in my car currently. The have an extremely fine center electrode, and yet they are still factory gapped at .060".

What I don't understand is why the pulse plugs can't be gapped higher than .040", while the AC Delco and NGK Iridiums, with their fine wire electrodes, have no issues with that large of a gap.

Red
    1998 Camaro

I run NGK TR6's; but I have been battling misfires on cylinder 1 for 3 months. i may go back to TR5's, since mine is mostly stock.

I tried an E3 plug in my nephew's go kart with a 5 hp briggs. It is easier to start, and seems to resist fouling (it runs rich because I can't jet the carb lean enough). I wouldn't run them in anything other than a go kart, though. I have know idea what the heat range is, they are made in China, and you cannot set the gap.

I was fascinated by the pulse plugs also, so I put a set in my boat. (3.0L Volvo 4 cyl). I think the theory is sound, essentially they have a capacitor, just like a camera flash, to store energy for a shorter, higher voltage arc. Unfortunately, they shorten the duration of the spark, increasing the odds of a misfire, which is what happened in my boat. That is likely why they don't recommend gapping more than .040 also. I wouldn't waste any more money on them.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I run AC Delco Iridiums in my car currently. The have an extremely fine center electrode, and yet they are still factory gapped at .060".

What I don't understand is why the pulse plugs can't be gapped higher than .040", while the AC Delco and NGK Iridiums, with their fine wire electrodes, have no issues with that large of a gap.
    Because they were designed to fire at that gap.
    When you open the gap you run the risk of bending that fine wire center electrode.
    It's also possible to flake off the exotic metal coating making the coating useless.
    Whatever the factory gaps them is where you should leave them.

Black
    98 Z28 Vert

I just changed my plugs today and boy are my arms sore. The car just turned 64,000 miles and I bought it used with 62K. I think the original plugs were still in there. They are AC 41-931 25162487. I would swear they were loctited in they were so damn tight!!! What a pain in the @$$ that #8 plug was...

I went with the NGKTR55's. I also replaced the wires with new OEM ones since I found a brand new set on Ebay for $20...

Fired it up and it purred like a kitten, nice and smooth...

Anyways, just wanted to share since I'm all proud of myself right now. Time for a beer...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

congrats. How long did your first time take? I ran mine over two days my first try.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information