Please help me plan my swap

This is a discussion on Please help me plan my swap within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi all, I'm new here and I'm doing research for a future project. I want to swap in an LS ...

series III XJ6

Please help me plan my swap

Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm doing research for a future project. I want to swap in an LS engine into a series III Jaguar XJ6 (1982-87). There is a guy who sells a kit for this swap so I'm not worried about getting into the car, but I'm not sure which engine I should use.

I realize that engine swaps are not cheap, but I'm still trying to stay within a reasonable budget. While I drool over a proper Corvette LS1, I've been looking into the 5.3 LS-based truck engine.

From what I understand these engines put out respectable power. They're cheap and readily available. If I'm not mistaken the stroke is the same as an LS1, but the truck engine is heavier. I was reading about the generation IV engines that have active fuel management, which would be a nice feature.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

1) Would the active fuel management work with an LS1 intake? I have to use this intake to clear the hood.

2) Are gen IV engines hard to wire up? I've worked on fuel injection before, but it was on an old Nissan engine.

3) What should I look for when I go to the junkyard to find an engine? I know I need the ECU, wiring harness, and tranny, but is there anything else?

Any constructive comments would be welcome. As I said, right now I'm just in the planning stage.

Thanks,

Darian

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

I would think you would want an aluminum block, so you should be looking for an LS1, LS6, LS2, LS3. The intake on all of these is approximately the same height. GM performance parts sells an ecu and harness for the LS2, LS3. You probably need to start by telling us the "reasonable" budget is.

series III XJ6

I haven't measured the intake, but the guy who sells the kit says that the Vortec intake is too tall.

In any case, I was hoping to do the whole swap for about $5,000. I would do all the work myself except the exhaust. I don't have to worry about emissions stuff, so that will make it easier.

Aluminum block would be best, but the car already weighs 4,000 lbs, so I'm not worried about an extra 100 lbs on the block. It's still lighter than the original engine.

Thanks,

Darian

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There are some aluminum block 5.3s out there. So you could consider that

Thread Information