Thread: Please help

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Please help

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a 98 trans am with h/c and today I installed a ls6 intake, ported tb, and did the tb coolant bypass. When I removed the MAF I noticed one of the sensors was black and the hot wires on all 3 of the sensors were also black so I cleaned them with some MAF cleaner from autozone and a cutip.

Finally after a few hours I managed to get everything installed, I double checked and made sure all the wiring harnesses were fastened and all hoses were connected. It started up great without me having to give it any gas (i usually have to when I cold start because of the cam) and when i took it for a test drive the throttle response was much better and I felt more power except when I let off the gas it stayed at about 1600 rpm and would not slow down. I would just coast at the same speed until I let on the brakes and came to a complete stop at the light then it went back down to 1000 rpm idle. When I took off again and let off the gas it did the same thing, staying at around 1600 rpm with me not pressing the gas and staying steady at 40 mph with no slowing down whatsoever almost like I was keeping the car at part throttle. Can anyone tell me why it is doing this? Did I mess the MAF by cleaning it or could there be a leak somewhere?

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

does it do that when you maually give it gas by opening the tb from under the hood? check to see if it sticks open part way. another thing, as you go down the road and it idles high have you tried tapping the gas to see if it goes back down? maybe your iac is sticking or you got a leak somewhere. unmetered air will make it idle bad. i hope this helps any.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by koozi47 View Post
    ported tb
    Who ported your TB? That was my problem.
    Review this thread and see if it helps.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...gh+idle+moving

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

I didn't get my tb ported, I bought an already ported tb off ebay.. But this morning I went back and tightened everything up on the intake manifold as well as the throttle position sensor and idle air control sensor, then took it for a drive and it was doing the same thing again but after a couple launches and manually shifting my gears (I have a shift kit), the problem went away and it went back to normal. I'm guessing maybe there was an air leak in the throttle position sensor because it wasn't fully tightened when I checked it this morning and after I drove it around the computer adjusted. Hopefully it stays this way and the problem doesn't start back up again. Thanks for the help!

Thread Information