Thread: please help!!!!

Black @ silver
    2oo2 Camaro SS

Unhappy please help!!!!

my o2 ss is leaking a little, from the rear axle...i took it to the auto shop the guy said its the pinion seal, and it will cost 500.00 to fix it.. a seal....really does itcost that much too fix? really? it seemed like he was full of shit>>> and it seemed like he was trying to hustle me...please my fellow camaro guys any help? i live in las vegas so if any one knows how to repair cars better then me please help....my name is thomas... my car is a 2002 ss wit 19,000.00 miles if there is any one with advice give it or help i will pay.....i will try to post the pictures...it is on the screw.. my car is running fine and it doesnt slip it runs hard...its an auto..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that pinion seal isn't as easy as you would think it would be but IMO it's not a $500 job. Call around to a few places and see if you can get it done cheaper than that...... I would think you'd be able too.

I deleted those posts where you were trying to post your picture. You have to host your pics somewhere and then link them to here. Here's a write up on going that.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73689

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just remembered I had this link. This isn't an f-body but the procedure is the same.

http://erareplicas.com/427man/jagrear/pin_seal.htm

Red

Should be a $150 + parts or so. Not an easy job to do correctly the first time you attempt it.

Junior Member camaroboy 14 02 ss's Avatar

silver
    2002 ss camaro

around how much? would be a good deal? any spefic parts i should buy and take to them so this does not happen again guys? please list them.. well i am back there should i do any thing else? meaning upgrades

Green
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Not really difficult to change the seal. The hardest part is getting the correct torque on a new crush ring. The rest is just normal manual labor. Good luck.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You figure most shops now charge about 120 an hour for labor. Generally labor time to change the seal is an hour plus parts you're looking at about $250 to $300. I can see $500 if he plans on dropping the rear because some do require it because the carrier may have to come out just to access the seal and set the proper pinion depth. But yeah shop around.

Green
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Damn....I need to raise my labor rate. Mine is only $75 per hour.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Don't bother fixing it...it'll just start leaking again shortly. I tried fixing mine with a GM seal and it was leaking a week later. I guess if I were gonna try again I would get a new seal and yoke/flange...not sure.
    The Alldata labor time guide list that job at 1.3 hours labor.

Junior Member camaroboy 14 02 ss's Avatar

silver
    2002 ss camaro

dang....but if i dont fix it wont it just keep messing up my gears and stuff?,......

black
    99 trans am

sorry to break it to you but if you replace it, it will eventually start leaking again(replaced mine three times). and about messing up your gears its possible if its leaking badly enough, but if you have the ticking time bomb we call 10 bolts your gears will eventually go out.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Don't bother fixing it...it'll just start leaking again shortly. I tried fixing mine with a GM seal and it was leaking a week later.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwmteam View Post
    sorry to break it to you but if you replace it, it will eventually start leaking again(replaced mine three times)
    Did you guys check your flange carefully? My Strange 12 bolt started leaking and at 1st figured I just needed to replace the seal, but I found a small nick in the flange that had cut the seal.........if I would not have checked carefully, would of missed it. Strange sent me a new flange (actually overnighted it to me) and problem fixed.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

i just asked this mechanic i usually take my car to how much it would be to do headers, cam and head, torque converter and new rear end put in and he said he'll do it for 800. steal? or too good to be true?

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

steal...............depending on the quality of the work

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    steal...............depending on the quality of the work
    all i would have to do is find a decent tuner in nyc

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    i just asked this mechanic i usually take my car to how much it would be to do headers, cam and head, torque converter and new rear end put in and he said he'll do it for 800. steal? or too good to be true?
    That would be an awesome deal if you know he is a good mechanic and know that he isnt going to screw you by adding additional charges later or not fix anything that he may screw up.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

primer grey
    1990 fox mustang gt

yeah if your gonna have the rear end apart you might as well do some gears and rebuild the limited slip...

800 for that kinda labor sounds really good....i wud be skeptical

Thread Information